Spec me a new TV for under £700

Soldato
@MrRockliffe I guess I could get the Hisense and then a semi decent sound bar. The problem is I've seen quite a few reviews saying the Hisense TV's have lots of problems.

What sort of problems did you have with your Panasonic?

Unless you're spending good money, the integrated smart system of most TVs is sub par, because they've often got underpowered SOCs, low amounts of RAM etc

Caporegime
I've just noticed that JL don't have stock of either TV.

Looks like the GX800 you've spotted @Vidar is your only bet at that price, and to be honest, I'd probably go with a Hisense U7A for a lot less.

That is the biggest problem he is facing. 2019 models launched a couple of months back. 2018 models started drying up from January onwards. So now he has to pay launch pricing. Whereas buying in January / February usually warrants a 30-60% discount over launch prices.

So in January he could have gotten a £1200 (@ launch) tv for £700. Now he will be only be able to buy a £700 tv and they aren't anywhere near as good.

If you can take cash. Buy a second hand tv off gumtree for £100. Then wait until january that is what i would do. Then buy a sony XG90.

Soldato
OP
What wasn't wrong with the Panasonic would be easier to write about. Most prominently though was persistent black screens, or videos displaying in weird and wonderful ways. It would go away, get fixed and do the exact same things again.

The missus just wants it sorted out as going for what could be up to a month without getting our money back and without a TV when you've got kids etc isn't going to fly! As such none of my current options are particularly stand out at this price bracket and I don't want to get into any debt.

Caporegime
What wasn't wrong with the Panasonic would be easier to write about. Most prominently though was persistent black screens, or videos displaying in weird and wonderful ways. It would go away, get fixed and do the exact same things again.

The missus just wants it sorted out as going for what could be up to a month without getting our money back and without a TV when you've got kids etc isn't going to fly! As such none of my current options are particularly stand out at this price bracket and I don't want to get into any debt.

Unfortunately you are at the price point and time period where £700 doesn't get you much at all in terms of real quality. You need to wait until january with that kind of budget to get a really good tv for that kind of money.

https://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic...ch-with-freeview-play-graphite-black/p4081434

that is your best bet. nothing else comes to mind at the price point and size.
personally i would buy this

https://www.johnlewis.com/sony-brav...-inch-with-freeview-hd-youview-black/p4103332

i have it's older bigger brother the 55" XF90 but I only paid £999 for it iirc. so it's overpriced currently. it will drop to around £900 in January for this tv. even then it would still be £200 over budget for you just to show you how far away you are.

i just looked and tbh all the 40-46" tv's are crap lower end models. they don't make decent tv's below 49" and it's been that way for around 2-3 years now.

honestly I'd go second hand. Get a 1-2 year old top end tv for £300 off gumtree or avforums. otherwise buy the panasonic linked to

Caporegime
It’s last years, this years is the q60 and is a step backwards it seems.

i thought so and dearer too iirc fromt he brief look i had on JL a few hours ago.

Q6 is similar to the NU8000 iirc just slightly better but was much more expensive when launched. so yes he should go for that one for sure if JL will give him a cash option. they might not as a warranty replacement.

Soldato
I've a 55nu8000 love it
it is so much more tv than our previous Samsung, but the lack of dts is a ballsup by samsung
Argos of all palces are doing it at 729 with a free sound bar at the moment for the 55inch which is a 120Hz panel, as the 49inch was a 60 hz panel

Soldato
I have a q6fn brilliant TV, really makes my ps4 pro and 4k media pop, always looks stunning.

I managed to get mine for £849 quite awhile ago. It was reduced from over £1k by currys at the time.

I opted for 55" version myself at the time

Soldato
is it too late to get cash from john lewis ? i would take £700 and buy a £600 fx750 'refurb' from panasonic, and put £100 aside if you did have to ship it to them for a repair after 1 year, 120hz panel, good motion,
the dx750, ex750, fx750 have all been a big jump from the 700 equivalents in pq, but you must have been unlucky with the dx700 versus my panasonic experience,
but sounds as though jl have been reasonable with refund offered.

edit do curries actually have the q6fn @£750 ? maybe it's not freeview or a curries 'special'
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-an...art-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-qled-tv-10180671-pdt.html

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
JL have been really good albeit a little slow to get to this point.

So I'm actually really happy now! I was able to convince John Lewis to give me the cash after showing I could get much better deals with some of their competitors. I still had the roughly two weeks to wait for a refund so the mother in law has graciously loaned us the £700 until we get our refund.

That said I was able find a
Samsung QE55Q6FN with a very reputable smallish high street retailer and haggle them down in price to £700 which includes a 5 year manufacturer warranty. It's a pity JL weren't able to match the offer and they really did try, even phoning their retail stores to try and find the same tv as a possible clearance item.

Soldato
JL have been really good albeit a little slow to get to this point.

So I'm actually really happy now! I was able to convince John Lewis to give me the cash after showing I could get much better deals with some of their competitors. I still had the roughly two weeks to wait for a refund so the mother in law has graciously loaned us the £700 until we get our refund.

That said I was able find a
Samsung QE55Q6FN with a very reputable smallish high street retailer and haggle them down in price to £700 which includes a 5 year manufacturer warranty. It's a pity JL weren't able to match the offer and they really did try, even phoning their retail stores to try and find the same tv as a possible clearance item.
Nice, I managed to get 5 year on mine also, FYI my first one had three dead pixels, hidden in top corner behind the annoying stickers samsung had on screen.

Just check it before setting it up, the store I bought it from let me exchange it, second one was fine

Back
Top Bottom