Varifocal wearers in here please.

Commissario
I've just got my first two pairs of varifocals and would like the opinion of other varifocal wearers before I talk to the optician.

If I'm looking directly at something and close my right eye, it's in perfect focus with my left eye.

If I then close my left eye and open my right eye, it's not in focus. I have to turn my head slightly to the left to get it in focus.

This isn't right, surely? If I'm looking directly at something then it should be in perfect focus in both eyes. It seems to me as though the centre point of the right lens isn't in the correct place.

In technical terms, I think the monocular PD is incorrect for my right eye but want this feeling confirmed so I know what I'm talking about when I go back to them. It's good to be informed.

Thanks.

Soldato
This is not uncommon. In fact I have just tested it wearing mine using your text. I am not an optician but I suppose that it may be different prescriptions for each eye. If I recall correctly the optician marks the position of the eye centre on the glasses when both are looking straight ahead.

It is a marginal effect in my opinion as when looking through one eye and then the other the offset of each eye from the nose would effect a slight head movement through trigonometry particularly when close to the object viewed as in reading or a screen.

Commissario
OP
slight head movement through trigonometry particularly when close to the object viewed as in reading or a screen.
Slight, yes. However I have to turn my head so far to the left that I'm facing roughly at the black mark to get it in focus in my right eye. That's not right, surely?

xjJ3byD.jpeg

Soldato
Slight, yes. However I have to turn my head so far to the left that I'm facing roughly at the black mark to get it in focus in my right eye. That's not right, surely?

That does seem extreme I grant you, you would have to have eyes two foot apart which I am sure you do not. Get them checked out as it may affect your normal binocular vision as well over time. Again I am no optician.

Soldato
personally see very little change of focus moving head side to side +-20 degrees at that distance, but the corridor has different width on different manufacturers,
does right eye have a much stronger prescription ? such that there probably would be a narrower corridor ?

or, is it related to strabism - does the image 'hop' anyway when you view through just one eye?

Commissario
OP
That does seem extreme I grant you, you would have to have eyes two foot apart which I am sure you do not. Get them checked out as it may affect your normal binocular vision as well over time. Again I am no optician.
That's my feeling.

It can take a long time to get used to them.
It shouldn't, not if they're correct which I suspect they're not.

personally see very little change of focus moving head side to side +-20 degrees at that distance, but the corridor has different width on different manufacturers,
does right eye have a much stronger prescription ? such that there probably would be a narrower corridor ?

or, is it related to strabism - does the image 'hop' anyway when you view through just one eye?

My right eye has a slightly weaker prescription, it's -6.5 compared with -7 on the left and no, it's not strabismus.

Soldato
Unless you are Romesh Ranganathan I wouldnt have thought that was right. Surely it should be focused in both eyes if you switch from left to right eye. I could understand it being slightly out if you were staring at something but switching from left to right eye shouldnt be so out. I mean maybe it should be slightly to the left or right when you switch eyes but not out of focus.

Is it slightly out of focus in one eye when you look through both eyes? If not then it might be your eyes.

Soldato
They should measure the focal point when the lenses are made. My very first set probably 5-6 years ago had a very weird central focus - I'd find myself looking sideways at everything. Complained and they re-measured and replaced. Haven't had a problem since.

I'd say they've got your lens wrong.

Soldato
Could never get used to them, tried for nearly 2 months. Predominantly it was the need to keep my head still and move my eyes that I found so alien. Now I have pairs for distance and reading.

Soldato

Thats definitely not right in my experience I don't have any of the problems you're experiencing. I do have to almost perch them on the end of my nose to be able to focus to read properly but that doesn't sound what you're experiencing and it's in both eyes. I'd be having a word with the opticians myself.

Man of Honour
It sounds like they have messed your prescription up and the PD for that eye is some way off. Go back and complain although depending on who the oticians are they may try to fob you off with "you just need to get used to them". That would clearly be rubbish if they are out as much as you say they are so stand your ground if need be. They are not cheap so they should be perfect.

Could never get used to them, tried for nearly 2 months. Predominantly it was the need to keep my head still and move my eyes that I found so alien. Now I have pairs for distance and reading.

Same here. I got a pair and the prescription was miles out for my right eye so sent them back to be sorted. It turned out that someone had read my prescription wrong (how ironic). When they came back they were ok but I just couldn't get used to them so they are sitting in a drawer. Luckily I got them online so they were massively cheaper than a high street opticians. I have seperate reading and distance glasses now which can be a pain swapping between them but it's the best way for me.

Soldato
I've just got my first two pairs of varifocals and would like the opinion of other varifocal wearers before I talk to the optician.

If I'm looking directly at something and close my right eye, it's in perfect focus with my left eye.

If I then close my left eye and open my right eye, it's not in focus. I have to turn my head slightly to the left to get it in focus.

This isn't right, surely? If I'm looking directly at something then it should be in perfect focus in both eyes. It seems to me as though the centre point of the right lens isn't in the correct place.

In technical terms, I think the monocular PD is incorrect for my right eye but want this feeling confirmed so I know what I'm talking about when I go back to them. It's good to be informed.

Thanks.

Did you pay for standard or Premium?
I had a pair once and they was standard varifocal and they was rubbish.

Soldato
@Feek ... yes I'm interested where you got them from too, and how elaborate fitting was .. from earlier thread, market still loooks like a minefield

Anyone who has used specsavers , how extensive is their fitting process ?

looked back at the last 'fitting' I had which measures a lot of stuff to ensure varifocal lense is positioned correctly for frame. (eye glass distance ....)
41401751820_199c9cbbb4_o_d.jpg
This seems a good online store with branded essilor/hoya/nikon lenses from £175

I would need convincing that Specsavers own lenses are as good

For an online store how can they possibly get all the fitment details. ?

Soldato
I got mine from Tesco/Vision Express and the process was thorough and I went for premium which basically means the transition is gradual rather than very distinct areas with tinting for eye strain reduction.

As it was though I just don't like them even though the two focal areas work fine they are two small and I find it tedious adjusting between. Much prefer a single large focused area and switch between glasses. That's doesn't happen much though as I have a pair for office work. The varifocals are assigned for medium range TV viewing (I rarely look down in that case) and a third pair for reading, mostly in bed.

Soldato
As it was though I just don't like them even though the two focal areas work fine they are two small and I find it tedious adjusting between. Much prefer a single large focused area and switch between glasses. That's doesn't happen much though as I have a pair for office work. The varifocals are assigned for medium range TV viewing (I rarely look down in that case) and a third pair for reading, mostly in bed.

the focal areas should be more extensive in size, and provide intermediate distance viewing ... I would complain if that expectation was not met.

the only real problem I've had, is if you watch tv lounging/slouching ... you have to still look out through upper part to get good focus.

from earlier thread, I linked, it seemed for <£200 could get some good quality branded essilor lenses online.

Back
Top Bottom