• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Caporegime
I love the casual nature of this paragraph...

Intel's compilers deliberately scan for none Intel CPU's and then puts them on a gimp code to slow their performance.

More on that here....

https://www.anandtech.com/show/3839/intel-settles-with-the-ftc

Intel reworked their compiler to put AMD CPUs at a disadvantage. For a time Intel’s compiler would not enable SSE/SSE2 codepaths on non-Intel CPUs, our assumption is that this is the specific complaint. To our knowledge this has been resolved for quite some time now.

Intel still practice this, it was resolved by way of Intel informing users of this, they turned it into an advert by simply saying "works better on Intel"

Also....

False advertising. This includes hiding the compiler changes from developers, misrepresenting benchmark results (such as BAPCo Sysmark) that changed due to those compiler changes, and general misrepresentation of benchmarks as being “real world” when they are not.

They still do this, you know how they keep showing +15% performance improvements for every generation since Sandy? what do they use to show that?

You can't trust Intel.

Soldato
Quick question about overclocking Ryzen:

How does it affect power management? Will the clock speed still drop and cores switch off during low workloads?

Just pondering whether it's worth doing or not. My 2600 is currently running at 3.6GHz on all 12 cores under Prime95. I'm quite happy with that (for now at least), especially if overclocking means significantly increased power draw at idle.

Associate
Quick question about overclocking Ryzen:

How does it affect power management? Will the clock speed still drop and cores switch off during low workloads?

Just pondering whether it's worth doing or not. My 2600 is currently running at 3.6GHz on all 12 cores under Prime95. I'm quite happy with that (for now at least), especially if overclocking means significantly increased power draw at idle.

Overclocking will increase power draw under load. Make sure Cool & Quiet is enabled in the bios and the 2600 will down clock when at idle.

Soldato
Yes, it will still go into a low power state, unless you choose to disable it. You'll also want to use a voltage offset rather than just manually setting one, which will allow the voltage to drop as well. The 'CPU Package Power' reading at idle for my 2600 overclocked to 4.15GHz/1.35V is 11-12W, which is about 1-2W higher than it was at stock. Under full stress test load it hits just over 100W. The performance gain is well worth it IMO. I hit a brick wall at 4.15GHz though, personally. Even pumping it up to 1.415V doesn't get it to 4.2GHz.

Soldato
Excellent. Was just checking it wouldn't do something silly, like keep 12 threads running at 4.2GHz (or whatever speed I get it to) 24/7.

Soldato
I also have a question overclocking my 2700x, I get some pretty brutal speeds out of it but I was wondering, If I only overclock 4 cores, will it clock higher , to say 4.6 - 4.7 ? and if so will this makes games run better, as in comparing to my friends 9700k im losing frames in quite a few games, somewhere in the 10-20% fps depending on the game.
Really hoping the zen 2 provides me with at least the same fps against a 9700k its quite disconcerting to be let down on the gpu side by the top end ryzen with a overclock compared to a stock intel

Soldato
Yes, it will still go into a low power state, unless you choose to disable it. You'll also want to use a voltage offset rather than just manually setting one, which will allow the voltage to drop as well. The 'CPU Package Power' reading at idle for my 2600 overclocked to 4.15GHz/1.35V is 11-12W, which is about 1-2W higher than it was at stock. Under full stress test load it hits just over 100W. The performance gain is well worth it IMO. I hit a brick wall at 4.15GHz though, personally. Even pumping it up to 1.415V doesn't get it to 4.2GHz.
When i Overclock it seems to stay at it even with cool and quiet and the other thing (forgot the name in the bios, 2 hours sleep)
Whats the way to overclock manually and have it downclock at idle? Set the clock, set an offset voltage and enable the two doo da's in the bios.

One last question , precision event timing, on or off and what does it do?

Soldato
When i Overclock it seems to stay at it even with cool and quiet and the other thing (forgot the name in the bios, 2 hours sleep)
Whats the way to overclock manually and have it downclock at idle? Set the clock, set an offset voltage and enable the two doo da's in the bios.

One last question , precision event timing, on or off and what does it do?
Are you using the Balanced power profile in Windows? High Performance will keep it clocked up all the time. Ignore the 'Ryzen Balanced' one if you've installed chipset drivers and have it. It's no longer relevant and AMD recommend using the default Windows 10 Balanced one. Other than that, I'm not sure about how Gigabyte's BIOS works. Just overclocking with an offset voltage alone allows it to downclock/volt on my Crosshair VI. There could be another setting somewhere you need to tweak with Gigabyte. If there are any 'Auto' options relating to CnQ or similar, try setting them to enabled instead.

As for HPET, some people claim that disabling it gave them a magical performance boost. Personally, I've never noticed any difference and the default is on, so I just leave it alone.

Soldato
Are you using the Balanced power profile in Windows? High Performance will keep it clocked up all the time. Ignore the 'Ryzen Balanced' one if you've installed chipset drivers and have it. It's no longer relevant and AMD recommend using the default Windows 10 Balanced one. Other than that, I'm not sure about how Gigabyte's BIOS works. Just overclocking with an offset voltage alone allows it to downclock/volt on my Crosshair VI. There could be another setting somewhere you need to tweak with Gigabyte. If there are any 'Auto' options relating to CnQ or similar, try setting them to enabled instead.

As for HPET, some people claim that disabling it gave them a magical performance boost. Personally, I've never noticed any difference and the default is on, so I just leave it alone.
Thanks for that, I will have a jiggly fiddle later (in my bios ) and see what happens, pretty happy with my OC as is ,

Don't suppose you can answer my previous post question about the cores can you?

When I disable HPET my pc crashes and if not it gets even hotter and uses more voltage so idk

Soldato
Thanks for that, I will have a jiggly fiddle later (in my bios ) and see what happens, pretty happy with my OC as is ,

Don't suppose you can answer my previous post question about the cores can you?

When I disable HPET my pc crashes and if not it gets even hotter and uses more voltage so idk
As far as I know, disabling cores only provides minor increases at best. The problem with Ryzen isn't heat or power draw getting out of control, but hard voltage walls due to the manufacturing process (which is another reason to believe that Zen 2 will clock higher).

Soldato
After two and a bit years I finally got around to replacing the stock Ryzen 1700 cooler with an NH-D14 that I bought a while ago on the bay. I was surprised how dry the interface compound had got over this time. It was like dust. Needless to say the new cooler has revived the computer and so I treated it to new chipset (Adrenaline) drivers and the latest bios for the C6H board.

I suggest that if people have not replaced the AMD Tim in two years or so, it may be a good thing to do.

Associate
It seems I lost the silicon lottery somewhat, I'm seeing everyone get their Ryzen 2600's up to 4.1 / 4.2, I can get 4GHz stable at 1.3v but to get any higher than that I really need to up the voltage and personally I just feel the benefit of running at the slightly higher clockspeed isn't enough to make me want to up the voltage to 1.4 or beyond really.

Back
Top Bottom