• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The end of THREADRIPPER?

Associate
Will they? Will consumers actually go elswhere if they cant get pci-e 5? I don't think they will, I don't think that the large majority of businesses care either (I say majority as there will be some out there running serious amounts of GPU's) as most probably wont be using much in the way of pci-e for storage and will be running a proper san, but your standard consumer... not a clue. We are not even into the lifecycle of 4 - You're mad bro!

Consumers aren't customers for embedded (though embedded systems are in increasingly more consumer products). And, yes, businesses do care very much where the bandwidth and latency are needed or desirable.

Man of Honour
Consumers aren't customers for embedded (though embedded systems are in increasingly more consumer products). And, yes, businesses do care very much where the bandwidth and latency are needed or desirable.

Aye but that bandwidth on disk i/o at any business of any size is handled by a good size San over fibre. I've done more infrastructure projects than I can remember and very few businesses are using the PCI-e capabilities at least in my finance/law background.

Associate
Aye but that bandwidth on disk i/o at any business of any size is handled by a good size San over fibre. I've done more infrastructure projects than I can remember and very few businesses are using the PCI-e capabilities at least in my finance/law background.

Some transport, definitely automotive, some industrial (and probably many other things).

Associate
You missed that PCIe 4.0 provides double the bandwidth per lane over PCIe 3.0.
2 pcie 3.0 16x cards would work on pcie 4.0 8x 8x as if they were on pcie 3.0 16x 16x

Same applies to all devices.

This is compete crap.

A gpu that only supports pcie 3.0 will mean the pcie 4.0 lanes will fall back to the pcie 3.0 protocol for compatibility.

Then you will have 2 cards connected to 8 physical lanes each running at the pcie 3.0 speeds, just like you have now.

Try putting an old gpu in that only supports pcie 2.0 and then run gpu-z. See what it tells you the lanes are running at - it won't be pcie 3.0.

Soldato
This is compete crap.

A gpu that only supports pcie 3.0 will mean the pcie 4.0 lanes will fall back to the pcie 3.0 protocol for compatibility.

Then you will have 2 cards connected to 8 physical lanes each running at the pcie 3.0 speeds, just like you have now.

Try putting an old gpu in that only supports pcie 2.0 and then run gpu-z. See what it tells you the lanes are running at - it won't be pcie 3.0.

And you do know how the manufacturers have wired their motherboards?

Soldato
Tom's Hardware attended a press reception with AMD CEO Lisa Su directly after her keynote announcing the Third-Gen Ryzen processors and AMD's new Radeon RX5000 Navi graphics cards. During the conversation, Lisa Su reiterated AMD's commitment to its Threadripper platform, which recently went missing from the company's official roadmaps, as we reported here.
Su did not elaborate on the why the processors went missing from the roadmap, or when the company will bring the next-gen models to market, saying "I don't think that we ever said Threadripper was not going to continue, it somehow took on a life of its own on the internet. You will see more Threadrippers from us. You will definitely see more Threadrippers from us."

Su elaborated that AMD loves the high end desktop market, and said that the platform has done well for the company in content creation and workstation markets.

The story did take a life of its own. Tom's Hardware originally reported on the mysterious removal of the processor from AMD's roadmaps and pinged the company for an official comment, but did not receive one. Other outlets ran with the story, implying the processor was canceled. Luckily for the enthusiasts in the crowd, now we know that isn't the case.

Su did not present or mention any information about the next-gen Threadripper platform during her presentation. Su did state that the journalists in attendance might learn more about AMD's recent developments at E3 in ten days, stay tuned.

It lives on!

Soldato
There was never even the most minimal chance that it wouldn't. Plan always was, and still is, to launch it a few weeks after Ryzen, as previously.
Threadripper has always been 6 months after mainstream Ryzen, not weeks. So 6 months in this case will be January 2020. So were did you get your information about a release within a few weeks?

Man of Honour
Threadripper has always been 6 months after mainstream Ryzen, not weeks. So 6 months in this case will be January 2020. So were did you get your information about a release within a few weeks?

This, It's the reason I didn't have a ryzen based cpu until about 6 months after ryzen release. TR will release (Im still scratching my head to work out why people think it wont) in about 6 months time.

Soldato
TR will release (Im still scratching my head to work out why people think it wont) in about 6 months time.
To be honest, Ryzen 3000 has broken the pattern: announce in some form December/January, launch March/April, Threadripper August 31st. But this time it's announce January, launch July, so who knows where Threadripper is ending up :p

But even if Threadripper stays in its traditional August 31st slot, that's still 3 months away, not a few weeks. Timeframes will be better established when we start hearing about X499 boards.

Edit: Gigabyte registered 3 X499 names with the EEC at the same time as their X570 listing.

Man of Honour
To be honest, Ryzen 3000 has broken the pattern: announce in some form December/January, launch March/April, Threadripper August 31st. But this time it's announce January, launch July, so who knows where Threadripper is ending up :p

But even if Threadripper stays in its traditional August 31st slot, that's still 3 months away, not a few weeks.

Yea it's still a significant amount of time later and I agree, yes the release schedule is different but they won't just drop their HEDT lineup and stick a middle finger up to all that bought it. It's still more than relevant even with a 16 core AM4.

Associate
Channel says August / Sept for TR4. Gap was 4 months for zen+ and 5 months for zen. Not 6 months.

What you are forgetting is that TR4 availability has always begun in August.

Channel says the same this time. Think what you want.

Launch time window is far more important than the delay period. 6 months would put TR4 in January 2020. I can tell you now that is not happening. No way.

The academics and prosumer market that TR4 is generally aimed at are coming back from their summer holidays at the end of August and ready to buy new kit. It's also right around GamesCom. That is why they launch then.

Man of Honour
Channel says August / Sept for TR4. Gap was 4 months for zen+ and 5 months for zen. Not 6 months.

Channel says the same this time. Think what you want.

Launch time window is far more important than the delay period. 6 months would put TR4 in January 2020. I can tell you now that is not happening. No way.

Does it really matter, 4, 5, 6 months... we wasn't exactly trying to be pinpoint accurate and exact in what we were saying, just pointing out it wasn't the following week or two? So long as it comes and makes TR4 owners happy I bet most of them, myself included, don't really care. We know it will come and when it does I am sure many will lap it up. All we really want is a mini epyc and oodles of power. Deliver that and the TR4 user base will love it.

Associate
If it's not announced by mid july, then I guess it'll be a Hot Chips / GamesCom announcement, and September availability. Either way, their announcment / launch window is pretty small and well defined. Earlier side of that is a few weeks away.

Man of Honour
If it's not announced by mid july, then I guess it'll be a Hot Chips / GamesCom announcement, and September availability. Either way, their announcment / launch window is pretty small and well defined. Earlier side of that is a few weeks away.

My gut tells me that we have no chance in a few weeks. I recon we get it in November, dunno why I think that and am probably wrong but that is what I think.

Soldato

Oh boo hoo, I misremembered and though all Threadripper 1000 was August 31st, not August 10th for the 1950X. Such pedantry is entirely not the point we were discussing, but well done in being day accurate; I'm sure I have an internet cookie for you somewhere.

Now if the channel is still saying August this year then great. But that's still not weeks, is it.

As an aside, if the channel is saying August, then we better be getting some X499 board leaks soon.

Man of Honour
Oh boo hoo, I misremembered and though all Threadripper 1000 was August 31st, not August 10th for the 1950X. Such pedantry is entirely not the point we were discussing, but well done in being day accurate; I'm sure I have an internet cookie for you somewhere.

Now if the channel is still saying August this year then great. But that's still not weeks, is it.

As an aside, if the channel is saying August, then we better be getting some X499 board leaks soon.

I'm sort of hoping that I can just throw a chip in my taichi and be done with it. Fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom