• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMAZON RTX 2080 TI RIP-OFF RETURN SCAM. BUYER BEWARE!

Associate
They should start to pursue legal action against people who do this... Amazon best bit is that no frills return, you do not need to argue you can just return it, however these scumbags ruin it for everyone.

Caporegime
A few years ago I ordered a kit of 4 memory sticks brand new sold by Amazon and it had 2 of the sticks missing, they don't seem to check stock from suppliers or returns very well at all scammers probably see them as easy targets.

Soldato
Happend to me buying a warehouse deal EVGA GTX 980 back in December 2015, when they had that extra 20% off the prices. When I opened the EVGA box their was a GTX 460 or 470 in there. Amazon refunded me straight away.

I kicked up a fuss about me not having a GPU to play games over Christmas, so the Amazon Rep let me choose any brand new GTX 980 of my choice for the cost of the reference card with 20% off. Good customer service from Amazon.

Soldato
Happend to me buying a warehouse deal EVGA GTX 980 back in December 2015, when they had that extra 20% off the prices. When I opened the EVGA box their was a GTX 460 or 470 in there. Amazon refunded me straight away.
Genuinely hope that people that pull crap like that got karma hitting them in the face one of these days.

Soldato
Having said all that has been said in this thread and I completely agree it is disgusting behaviour by the people returning lesser goods to Amazon...there are more complex things going on that people need to be aware of. I guess I have just been lucky..purchased loads of computer hardware from Amazon and never had anything but a brand new correctly labelled piece of hardware.

I tend not to buy any PC product where the reseller is offering a guaranteed ‘overclocked’ version of the same product. They all say they don’t do it but without a doubt binned CPUs / GPUs are sent out to customers who haven’t paid the premium for a ‘guaranteed overclock’ product (I mean its not as if the ones that don’t make the cut are put in the bin...and how many grade B items do you see?). Surely this is a scam where the reseller can never be caught and essentially negating any chance of you receiving a product that might OC well. Just my 2p.

Caporegime
Having said all that has been said in this thread and I completely agree it is disgusting behaviour by the people returning lesser goods to Amazon...there are more complex things going on that people need to be aware of. I guess I have just been lucky..purchased loads of computer hardware from Amazon and never had anything but a brand new correctly labelled piece of hardware.

I tend not to buy any PC product where the reseller is offering a guaranteed ‘overclocked’ version of the same product. They all say they don’t do it but without a doubt binned CPUs / GPUs are sent out to customers who haven’t paid the premium for a ‘guaranteed overclock’ product (I mean its not as if the ones that don’t make the cut are put in the bin...and how many grade B items do you see?). Surely this is a scam where the reseller can never be caught and essentially negating any chance of you receiving a product that might OC well. Just my 2p.

when they sell binned products it's normally OEM versions.

retail versions will never be opened for binning. so they sell the crappy chips as OEM. as long as you buy retail you are fine.

Man of Honour
Last year I bought an XBox One from a marketplace seller, fulfulled by Amazon, and a really badly ripped box and clearly very used XB1 turned up. Obviously someone had swapped their own used model at some point. Amazone refunded it but I haven't fully trusted it since.

Permabanned
Well I guess the loser here is mostly Amazon because I assume that buyers realise its the wrong card and return them.

Associate
No, you would not lose.

Because Amazon did the very same thing and sent cards out to unsuspecting buyers from their warehouse with different cards in them. The probability of that happening should be less because they actually have a system in place.

That's not how it works, I see what you are saying but ultimately you're trying to make a moral argument as a defence though you've neglected the obvious differences in volume. This is the realm of MPs and Parliament it would have no relevance in Amazon vs. "hey I've pulled one over the stupid retailer - person"

Mobster
Soldato
That's not how it works, I see what you are saying but ultimately you're trying to make a moral argument as a defence though you've neglected the obvious differences in volume. This is the realm of MPs and Parliament it would have no relevance in Amazon vs. "hey I've pulled one over the stupid retailer - person"

I'm not advocating it, nor have I or would I ever do this 'trick'.

I think we both agree this shouldnt be done by anyone. I do think Amazon should go to the authorities if they ever find this happening.

Associate
I bought a gtx 1070 from amazon a while ago, it had issues, kicked up a fuss, they upgraded me to a gtx 1080 and a free code for Destiny 2! Amazon are good, at the end of the day they write it all off against tax...customer satisfaction is their ultimate aim..... Seems to be paying off handsomely.

Associate
I'm not advocating it, nor have I or would I ever do this 'trick'.

I think we both agree this shouldnt be done by anyone. I do think Amazon should go to the authorities if they ever find this happening.

sure but what I'm saying is you'd be in a very weak position too, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they decided to pursue someone and a morale argument wouldn't get you out of that situation i.e. they could get away with it by claiming Amazon makes mistakes too. My point was simply "the law doesn't work like that" and you could be in a ton of trouble as a result.

Soldato
It's a criminal offence to steal, so it wouldn't be based on balance of probability, it would be based on beyond a reasonable doubt.

So who stole the good GPU and replaced it with a cheaper one? The person that returned it? The person that received it? An Amazon rep? The post man?

Soldato
I bought a gtx 1070 from amazon a while ago, it had issues, kicked up a fuss, they upgraded me to a gtx 1080 and a free code for Destiny 2! Amazon are good, at the end of the day they write it all off against tax...customer satisfaction is their ultimate aim..... Seems to be paying off handsomely.

Agreed I’ve bought a number of parts and never had an issue with them. Have had a faulty mobo which was replaced next day before I sent the old one back. Not many places do that.

If you buy it from amazon direct, the same above applies for a full year before it is passed onto manufacturer warranty.

Back
Top Bottom