Google apparently suspending some business with Huawei.

Soldato
I have a Honor Play so will likely suffer the same fate, that said I have had a security update and an update to Android 9.0 in the month ive owned it. Probably be fine for another 18mths or so at least and see how it goes.

Soldato
Can't imagine resale values will be kind in the future if this sticks.

EDIT:
Isn't Android meant to be open source, surely blocking a company from its use is against the GPL terms?

Play Store doesn't fall under open licence and yeah they still have access to public build but in practice that might mean slower updates and no technical support and less collaboration with Google like other manufacturers.

Man of Honour
Isn't Android meant to be open source, surely blocking a company from its use is against the GPL terms?
AOSP is, meaning Huawei will still have access to security updates as these are released as part of the AOSP build.
The Google apps are not part of AOSP and not open source. Which is why people who have dabbled with custom ROMs based on AOSP in the past will be used to installing what is known as the GAPPS package after flashing their ROM which installed all the Google closed source applications.

Permabanned
It's not only Huawei and ZTE it's all Chinese firms which do business with US companies which can be added. So that means all the Android phones sold outside Samsung and LG as time progresses. BBK covers One Plus,Vivo and Oppo. HND makes Nokia phones. Lenovo is Chinese and owns Motorola.

Yeah, my VKworld S8 just sent me the notification that the Google update cannot be installed. The app still works with the news feed but don't know for how long.
I don't bother with the Google store, anyways - I don't use phones for this stuff.

And every single iThing is made in China by Foxxcon and Pegatron.

It's about the software. If the americans still have the interest to manufacture physically in China, and if for China itself it's fine instead of expelling everything american, then things won't change.

From now on, I would buy only Japanese things, if made in Asia.

Permabanned
People really are jumping on the bandwagon, without actually looking at the facts. The MSM are bigging things up, whilst they are also forgetting that Microsoft and Google along with Apple, have also been doing a lot of spying on users, not to mention that Google devices, and Apple are made in China. Instead, just port Oxygen OS, onto a Huawei device instead, or a clean version of Android. Besides Huawei themselves have stated, it will not really affect anyone.

Permabanned
People really are jumping on the bandwagon, without actually looking at the facts. The MSM are bigging things up, whilst they are also forgetting that Microsoft and Google along with Apple, have also been doing a lot of spying on users, not to mention that Google devices, and Apple are made in China. Instead, just port Oxygen OS, onto a Huawei device instead, or a clean version of Android. Besides Huawei themselves have stated, it will not really affect anyone.

Spying is just a crass excuse. The real reason is that Trumps feels hurt that the Chinese economy will become larger than the us' in five years time.

Associate
America created the NSA and uses it for the exact thing they accuse the Chinese of doing, it's fact and proven yet there's no proof that Huawei have done anything wrong.... Right....

Never mind targeting Apple it would be far more fun for China to stop the export of rare minerals to America.

Permabanned
Spying is just a crass excuse. The real reason is that Trumps feels hurt that the Chinese economy will become larger than the us' in five years time.
Trumps economy becoming larger than the US, yes the chinese economy is already about the biggest economy globally, he is weak. Besides how many thhings in the white house, such as the presidential iPhone have been developed and built in China?

Associate
Nice sentiment however the Mrs' P20 pro hasn't had one security update this year as it is.

my last one was the April 2019 Google patches.

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/bulletin/2019/4/

My Honor 10 has had a fair number of updates over the 12-months. Android 8.1 to 9.0, lots of EMUI updates and security updates upto April 2019. The security updates have been at least 1, sometimes 2 a quarter (certainly not as many as my Nexus 6 but to be expected). Overall pretty impressed.

A good BBC 'what it means for you' article which spells things out pretty well. Personally I wouldn't have expected Android 10/Q on the Honor 10 but sounds like slower Security Updates may be the extent of the impact on me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48334739

Soldato
No real comment really. Just wanted to post that! :D

I am sure others will be along shortly to provide greater detail as to what the consequences for both Huawei and Google are likely to be as a result of this!

Soldato
First ad I see on YouTube tonight is one from Huawei. They'll not give them their tech, buy they'll take their ad money. Well played Google.

Money talks.

Soldato
IMO the USA is currently playing with fire big time, right now it's esentially exploiting it's historical friendship with the EU in order to protect it from any repricussions to it's isolationist/protectionist attacks on China/Chinese companies.

Luckily for the USA (sadly for the rest of the world) it looks like it's going to get away with it for the forseeable future, however it's untenable for this to last forever, sooner or later we may see that the other countries of the world become fed up and we could potentially see the EU team up with the BRICs nations to sanction the USA and force it to engage properly with global trade instead of using it's influence/friendships to attack economic rivals it cannot compete with on a level footing.

On another note, this is far worse for Google than it is for Huawei as now they have outed themselves as a US government stooge they can never un-out themselves and it will damage global opinion of them.

Soldato
Thought - would this mean Microsoft will have to cease their licensing terms with Huawei using Windows on their Matebook devices too?

I believe so. They'll theoretically no longer be able to use Intel CPU's or other chips from the likes of Qualcomm, Broadcom, or memory bits from Micron (if they use those).

It'll escalate from the Chinese end at which point the Wotsit in charge will have to back down I reckon.

Associate
Sucks to be a Huawei owner of anything now.

It looks fairly likely that they will now produce an AOSP based OS (with whatever spyware they choose to add) and the future of the laptop line looks a bit bleak if Intel and AMD have to cease trading with them; they should think themselves lucky they use a Chinese SOC in their phone! Even if they can get around that, they’ll presumably need to ditch Windows for Linux. The second hand values will take a tanking, and overall, there are no winners in this situation.

Back
Top Bottom