The Boys (Amazon Prime)

Soldato
OP
Re-downloaded the series from humble bundle last night for a full re-read before the show starts. First thing I noticed was that Simon Pegg does the introduction for the first issue, hadn't picked up on that before.

Soldato
Well having just finished my re-read there is no way they are doing a like for like copy of the comics. The humour and many of the scenes would see it banned, I also can't see many of the actors signing up for the graphic action shown either. The overall plot concept though can easily be changed into something that suits television with a good scriptwriter. I really hope they do this justice and don't drag it out too long 3 seasons of 8-10 episodes would probably be about right.

Soldato
OP
So there's a new red band trailer out i'd love to link but reckon i'd be facing a holiday if I did :D

I'm about mid way through my re-read of The Boys series and feel like at least 25% of the content will never make it even close to the TV show, unless Amazon have brass balls when it comes to releasing this.

Associate
...and feel like at least 25% of the content will never make it even close to the TV show, unless Amazon have brass balls when it comes to releasing this.

This is what I am thinking, the comics are awesome and one of my favourite series (big fan of Garth Ennis in general). Be interesting to see how they bring it to the screen

Soldato
I enjoyed the comic series, I would recommend buying it. I would also imagine that the plot will be different even if some of the overall plot devices and themes remain because the comic is quite frankly unsuitable for direct conversion to TV.
Carter The Unstoppable Sex machine said:
"Too much Sex and Violence. Too shocking even for Channel 4."

Soldato
OP
Good interview with Karl Urban and Jack Quaid here...

The bigger question is, will The Boys be as unapologetically violent as the comic? Urban explains, “It was clear to me early on that tonally, we were going to do something a little different to that. But, that also, we were taking the basic elements of those characters that Garth had created, and sort of building a world, and an interesting and eclectic dimensional group of characters, which inhabited that world.” So, while there will be some departures, it still retains that core heart and brutality of Ennis’ comics.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/inter...od-battling-invisible-men-the-boys-interview/

Associate
Now up on Prime, cant find a Uhd version yet.

Watched first ep and its as funny as the trailer suggests. Can see me binging through this over the next few days.

Soldato
2 eps in. So far, so good :)

I think Pegg is too old to play Hughie tbh. It's more a shame that they've made the family American, but whatever.
As much as I love Karl Urban, his accent's a bit dodgy and he's not quite right as Butcher. Still, he's always entertaining and along with all the other little changes etc, it's no big deal.

Soldato
OP
As much as I love Karl Urban, his accent's a bit dodgy and he's not quite right as Butcher. Still, he's always entertaining and along with all the other little changes etc, it's no big deal.

I do wonder if he'll be able to carry off some of the more...how do I say, extreme actions of Butcher later on if they follow the comic to it's conclusion.

Soldato
I don't think it'll be a problem. It's just accent, mannerisms and little things that are slightly off.

I don't wanna make a big deal out of it, as he's doing an otherwise great job and my opinion is based on my own interpretation of a comic at the end of the day :) There are always things that don't line up with someone's idea of what it should be.

Anyway, the show's cool, Urban's cool and I'm just a dork on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom