Mindless youth of today

Man of Honour
I can't relate to that at all when I read, hear watch, or remember accounts of life back in the 80s and earlier (I was born '82). Callousness was extreme, from the attitude that AIDS victims deserved it, to the cold acceptance of workplace accidents, to Formula 1's huge death toll.... People didn't give any sort of a **** about others. Awful.

True - I was thinking more the callousness towards other people's property and general well being but that does link into workplace accidents, etc. dunno my experience in dealing with people in general it seems like it has become much more common in a different way.

Caporegime
True - I was thinking more the callousness towards other people's property and general well being but that does link into workplace accidents, etc. dunno my experience in dealing with people in general it seems like it has become much more common in a different way.

You mean much more readily available to consume, people love this ****.

Caporegime
Absolutely appalling. There is no respect for anything. There is absolutely no consequence in society anymore, it is basically a free for all.

Look at Farage getting covered in milkshake earlier today. When did this kind of thing become acceptable?

On a more serious note, I need that video for, a school project

Soldato
The difference today is there are no consequences for the perpetrators, they have no reason to be scared of the police or any other authority figures. Somebody mentioned the cane/ruler being brought back, the sooner the better.

If they did, what are the odds of the kids fighting back or load of them ganging up on the teacher and putting them in hospital or worse!?!!?

Kids have no fear these days due to their parents not giving two hoots either.

Soldato
OP
I never expected the positive response my thread has had - I was a teen in 50s and 60s and it never occurred to us to do this sort of vandalism - I remember setting fire to grass on a railway embankment and getting copped by railway police- I was 7 or 8 - marched home and given a belt - I/we never did it again - I can't remember any of my mates or myself breaking in to anywhere - if we saw a cop on the beat we ran for it - not that we had done anything but the fact he might think we had.
Today the kids have no respect what so ever and this I blame on the do gooders from when I was late teens to today - I had some dopey mates and when I asked them what they wanted to be they said Social workers - if they became one and rose up the ranks I can see why we are in the mess we are in.
I have to say I am glad to be the age I am because I am not going to see the final outcome of the crisis that this country is going to go though in the next 20 yrs

Although I was well past Blue Peter years it still hit me that someone could do that to the Blue Peter garden.

The only thing I got right in my life was to live in out of the way places where things like this rarely happen - although it's getting closer.

Soldato
I can't relate to that at all when I read, hear watch, or remember accounts of life back in the 80s and earlier (I was born '82). Callousness was extreme, from the attitude that AIDS victims deserved it, to the cold acceptance of workplace accidents, to Formula 1's huge death toll.... People didn't give any sort of a **** about others. Awful.
F1 is a strange example to use, considering how safe it became in the 80s, and this was because people did give a **** about others and got things changed for the better.

Anyway, back on topic - great to see how much money people have donated. I still feel really bad though because of all the effort that must have gone into the models. That can never be replaced.

Soldato
F1 is a strange example to use, considering how safe it because in the 80s, and this was because people did give a **** about others and got things changed for the better.
That's why I said "80s and earlier"

And no-one gave a ****. It was only when Niki Lauda started organising action among the drivers in the 70s, before and after his accident, that things changed.

Soldato
That's why I said "80s and earlier"

And no-one gave a ****. It was only when Niki Lauda started organising action among the drivers in the 70s, before and after his accident, that things changed.
I think you're doing the likes of Jackie Stewart and others leading the safety charge in the 1960s a massive disservice there. F1 history doesn't really seem to be your strong point, are you taking this knowledge from the James Hunt movie?

Soldato
I think you're doing the likes of Jackie Stewart and others leading the safety charge in the 1960s a massive disservice there. F1 history doesn't really seem to be your strong point, are you taking this knowledge from the James Hunt movie?
It's not my strong point, nor is it an interest of mine (I've not seen the James hunt movie). It was just an example. And the point that only the drivers themselves seemed to much care really about their mortality feeds back into the "people were callous as **** in the old days" original point.

Associate
I feel terrible for them as although they would have suffered financially replacing items - the time they've invested which is now lost is definitely the stinger.
There is a justgiving page for anyone whose interested
.... The yobs need putting in the stocks for a few days :)

Soldato
There's been a lot of money donated, but money won't fix the years some of those people would have spent building up their collections.
This country is rapidly going down the toilet. It's only going to get worse.

Soldato
It shows. Why do certain people seem to feel the need to post rubbish about subjects they know nothing about? It's so weird. Are you trying to get your post count up or something?
I lied, I have a casual interest in F1. I just have no interest in talking about it here. Trying to avoid posting, to be honest. You're like a dog with a bone, though.

Associate
I read stories like this and it just makes me wanna go vigilante. Think Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

It also makes me want to emigrate even more. And before anyone says the grass ain’t greener. I’ve seen a lot of grass much greener than here in the U.K.

If I had the money I would make a donation myself. Truly heartbreaking.

Soldato
Sounds proper "old man ranting" here but, I'm so glad I grew up in the 80's and 90's. No phones ruining the self esteem, no whoring yourself on social media for likes to make you feel your life has value, you had fun with real people and life was easier. We're the last generation to have "kid freedom" with the advent of everyday internet, mobile phones and social media, we had freedom from phones and an ability to think for ourselves without being tethered to a mobile phone as a "life crutch"

I pity kids these days.

Associate
1) Make the vandals fix everything back to how it was
2) Destroy it all completely
3) Make them fix it all again
4) Repeat steps 2 & 3 for the next 20 years
5) Check that they've learnt their lesson and understand the effort it takes to build something
6) Destroy it all again as a final reminder to respect other people's property

Back
Top Bottom