Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
I have had a bit of time to digest this and have rewatched the episode this evening. It was always going to be a task to wrap this up, even harder to wrap it up and satisfy the majority of the fan base. The biggest underlying issue with this season, for me, was they simply tried to pack too much into it. We have grown very accustomed to thrones taking it's time moving the plot forward and to go from that approach to the direction they took in Season 8 is a big change. HBO had asked the showrunners to do 10 seasons but they refused, they may well have had enough and wanted to move on from the show but I suspect trying to sell the idea of 2 more seasons to various members of the cast would have been impossible. Particularly with Kit harington who clearly couldn't wait to move on to new things. The ending wasn't the problem for me, how we got to it was. I felt over the past 6 episodes that there was some questionable editing happening but it wasn't the edit, it was how quickly they dealt with majot plot points and how many they threw at the viewer in each episode. Danys descent into madness is a great illustration of that, despite the major losses she suffered throughout the season, her character wasn't fleshed out enough to justify the radical change in her behaviour. There have been red flags all the way through the show to illustrate she was capable of great levels of destruction but the way it was presented this season never felt right. Jamies character is another example, his decision to return to kings landing felt out of place, again, due to the self imposed time restraints of having 6 episodes to tell the story. Thrones never felt rushed until season 8.

A 2nd watch of the finale is a bit easier to digest but the pacing of the story has left a lot of people disspointed. It is a shame but I dont regret any of the time or love i invested into the show over the years, I will happily rewatch the series again but the final season will always be the low point.

Associate
It was a lot of wasted time that felt like padding, time better used to support the decisions of the characters instead. It’s 80mins episode, there are movies of that length out there so there’s time to resolve character arcs had they used the time wisely.

Not just this episode but previous ones, a lot of scenes are pointless, Jamie bang and run with Briene was what?! Pointless. Arya getting horny, really? What did that really do in the scheme of things? 20 mins of them drinking at the start of ep 4, no need. I swear there is about an hour of wasted screen time for padding. Time better spent for story, in getting them to where they got to in the end. I don’t hate the decisions but how they got there.

I think the whole Arya thing is supposed to be about her choosing life over death - she more or less literally kills the God of Death and is finally pulled back from the brink by the hound, who's been kept alive by the lord of light. Her & Gendry is probably supposed to be a point on that arc but the whole thing was so clumsily executed it just felt like she went from badass to wilderness explorer on a whim.

Jamie really makes no sense though. They basically confirm he's not changed one bit, then have Brienne doting on him. Feels wrong for both of them.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Just a shame HBO couldn't come up with the budget to make seasons 7 and 8.

HBO would have thrown the money at them to do 14 (I think it was?) seasons if they needed.

The option to cut it short was entirely down to D&D wanting to get over to disney...

Though if thats a joke post, a smiley would have been better :p

Soldato
The bit that gets me is Jon murders dany and then simply ends up in jail. Considering greyworm and his forces, Dothraki have been following and supported her since close to the beginning. You’d expect jons head and everyone else’s to be on a stick.

Then “I am the new king” and everyone just backs down and leaves for home like nothing has happened. It just makes so little sense.

The ending I reasonably enjoyed and don’t have much of a problem with. Just feels like season 8 has made the entirety of seasons 1-7 plot wise mean pretty much nothing.

Last edited:
Caporegime
sort of predictable.what i thought would happen did apart from who was crowned. pretty meh tbh. kinda like sopranos ending. i think its just been done the way it is for spin off series at a later date. which is a shame.

Man of Honour
I’m not totally disagreeing with you but what would you have had happen?

I wouldn’t have basically ended an epic 8 season show by having an hour of pointless filler that stirred no emotion whatsoever.

I’d have had Jon die for a start though. They made a point in the Battle of Winterfell when Beric died, that he was revived all those times for a purpose and when he served that purpose, he died. Jon killed Dany, he should have died after that some how so that it meant something and really give weight to the decision he just made to kill her

Soldato
I’d have had Jon die for a start though. They made a point in the Battle of Winterfell when Beric died, that he was revived all those times for a purpose and when he served that purpose, he died. Jon killed Dany, he should have died after that some how so that it meant something and really give weight to the decision he just made to kill her

Agreed, I was fully expecting Jon to die based on that very reason.

The moment Drogon melted the throne instead of him I knew it wasn’t going to happen.

I’d have probably preferred if he did, I felt sorry for his character instead. It makes you feel like he made the wrong choice.

Soldato
Clearly his purpose with the Lord of Light isn't served, "Game of Thrones - North of The Wall" sequel confirmed ;)

I was 50/50 on him either dying or going back North North after rejecting the throne but looks like he didn't get a choice on that one.

Soldato
Maybe they didn’t show Grey worms reaction to finding out about Dany, because the actor was too **** to make it convincing?

After his promotion to warchief earlier in the episode, he didn’t seem that fussed about her.

Caporegime
So the person who becomes King is the one they gave no character development on for years and “why did you think I turn up?”

If he can see the future...and he knew he would be King...did he tell Jon about his birth just so he tells Dany? He set all this in motion so that he can be king? “Why did you think I turn up?” Malarkey.

It’s like the most boring character becomes King, it’s not like he isn’t deserved but it feels lazy as he has had no character development for so long.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'd have been happy if Drogon blasted through him, killing Jon and melting the throne.

Instead we got a terrible conclusion for Jon.

Back
Top Bottom