Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
It’s just they set Dany up as the good guy for 7 years and 6 episodes out of 8, and half way through at the penultimate one she turned bad.

One scene of a speech which was meant to make her look like Hitler and then the next scene later she was killed.

I’m not sure that would be acceptable in film school.

Soldato
I think the darker ending would have been Dany on the throne, Jon at her side, rolling across the land in a holy jihad ("for the good of the people") just like Paul Atredies does in the Dune books. It becomes a holy war that takes a life of it's own where all enemies are swept aside by a messianic figure and their armies. Dany and Jon are ultimately trapped by their destiny, he unhappy but putting up with it for love, her embracing her god-like future as her right.

Caporegime
It’s just they set Dany up as the good guy for 7 years and 6 episodes out of 8, and half way through at the penultimate one she turned bad.

One scene of a speech which was meant to make her look like Hitler and then the next scene later she was killed.

with great power comes great responsibility

Associate

Yeah, I thought her character flipping made sense but the portrayal of it was so OTT it ruined it. Compare to some other well known HBO dramas where the main character turns out to be a monster. They don't sprout wings.

Caporegime

The perfect twist is one that surprises you at the time and makes sense at the time. Did you miss all the times she threatened to burn cities? The brutality with she dealt with those who opposed her? Her monomania with claiming a throne in a country she'd never even seen?

It seems to me that spending any longer on Dany's heel turn would have made it too predictable.

Caporegime
I think the darker ending would have been Dany on the throne, Jon at her side, rolling across the land in a holy jihad ("for the good of the people") just like Paul Atredies does in the Dune books. It becomes a holy war that takes a life of it's own where all enemies are swept aside by a messianic figure and their armies. Dany and Jon are ultimately trapped by their destiny, he unhappy but putting up with it for love, her embracing her god-like future as her right.

it was pretty obvious jon had to finish her. she was dead by someone after the previous episode anyone could see that. i would have loved to see a darker ending but the problem is a darker ending = the end. no coming back. with hows its finished spin off shows are bound to happen. its a shame but money talks.

Associate
The majority of this season has been really really poor. On the plus side it was only 6 episodes (think how much more dross they could have shoehorned in if they had more time to fill) and now I am glad, rather than sad, it is finished.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Except they didn’t? I’m annoyed with the last season or two but there were a few bits of foreshadowing of her turning.

They’ve hammered the point of her believing that the throne was unjustly stolen from her so much that she’s obsessive in her quest to get it. She’s even outright said that she will “take what’s mine with fire and blood” if needs be.

Let’s look at some of the things she’s done on her route there...

1. Watching her brother get gold poured on him
  2. Burned the tarleys at the steak for not bending the knee
  3. Crucifying the population of the city that shunned her (forget the name)
  4. Locked women and children up in the tomb and left them to starve
  5. Witnessed her best adviser and friend get beheaded
  6. Let Tyrion shaft her plans on multiple occasions
  7. Listen to Cersei’s smug speech on the walls of kings landing

It feels more rushed because they shoved it down your throat in the space of 2 or 3 episodes but she’s been morally declining for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom