Alien 3 - William Gibson's screenplay on Audible

Soldato
Just a heads up for Alien fans, and I know some on who here have listened to and enjoyed(in varying degrees) the dramatisations that are on audible - on 30th May they are releasing a full-cast dramatisation of William Gibson's never-filmed script for Alien 3.

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Alien-...f91-b3cad83c5183&pf_rd_r=DWHMN58EMPXF3GBDPCBV

"Every film fan has a mental list of the Greatest Movies Never Made. The greatest of these in the scifi genre has been William Gibson’s unmade script for ALIEN III. It’s by one of the giants of the literary genre, and takes the situation set up in ALIENS, moving forward into fresh regions of the Alien Universe and continuing the stories of our old friends from James Cameron’s movie. It’s been a privilege and honour to finally bring this story to life with this wonderful cast as an immersive audio movie." - Dirk Maggs, Director.

I can't wait. Really enjoyed the other ones.

From the description too -

Alongside a full cast Michael Biehn and Lance Henriksen reprise their iconic roles as Corporal Hicks and Bishop from the 1986 film Aliens

Father of cyberpunk, William Gibson’s original script for Alien III, written in 1987 as a sequel to Aliens, never made it to our screens, although it went on to achieve cult status among fans as the third installment that might have been after being leaked online.

This terrifying, cinematic multicast dramatization – directed by the multi award-winning Dirk Maggs – is the chance to experience William Gibson’s untold story and its terrifying, claustrophobic and dark encounters between humans and aliens, as a completely immersive audio experience.

The story begins with the Sulaco on its return journey from LV-426. On board the military ship are the cryogenically frozen skeleton crew of that film’s survivors: Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop.

We travel aboard and hear an alarm blare. Our heroes are no longer alone.

PS. You can get it with a free trial of Audible if you're eligible

Soldato
Interesting, just been thinking what to spend my credit on. Imagine since it's leading on from Aliens it's not too important to have listened to the previous audiobooks?

Commissario
Already got it pre-ordered :)

You can go into it without the other aliens audiobooks as they're done so they fit in with the film canon (at least as far as the end of Aliens), I haven't listened to it but Bug Hunt is probably another good one (the short story collection is a fun read), and Sea of Sorrow's is well done.

Soldato
OP
My next credit doesn't come through til tomorrow. There is something else i was planning to get so not sure what I'll do yet. Might just buy it on 30th. I think it is about £12.

The previous audio dramas don't strictly link to this, it is purely a sequel to Aliens as far as I know. It does feature the same actress playing Ripley though(and she's pretty good).

Of the previous ones, River of Pain is by far the best. I'd recommend it. It is a prequel to Aliens that shows the downfall of Hadley's Hope. It is really good.

Soldato
I knew nothing of this until this thread. Really looking forward to it. I've only listened to OftS so far, which I enjoyed. Must get round to listening to the other two. I had completely forgotten about them, so I'm glad this thread has reminded me that I need to listen to them!

Interesting, just been thinking what to spend my credit on. Imagine since it's leading on from Aliens it's not too important to have listened to the previous audiobooks?

As above posters have said; you don't need to have read/listened to the others, assuming there aren't any more than just the three; Out of the Shadows, Sea of Sorrows and River of Pain. Those are set between Alien and Aliens (Out of the Shadows), 300 years after Out of the Shadows (Sea of Sorrows), and River of Pain tells the story of what happened on LV426 before the events in Aliens.

Soldato
Will need to check this out. Huge fan of Aliens. Alien 3 was awful.

For anyone who hasn’t seen this check it out and watch it all the way through. It’s absolutely incredible. Planet Coaster - some dude built a ride to a higher standard than any of the films after Aliens.

Soldato
I listened to one of the alt stories and was amused by the voice of Bishop (I think) saying my voice has changed because ... no it's changed because you're Rutger Hauer :)

Still they are well done.

Soldato
So - Dirk Maggs,impressively did hitchiker+dirk (good car listening), hope the sound effects are as good as bbc productions, bbc4 extra still has good stuff. eg Bond.

Had thought this was part of prime, but it appears not, and not all you can eat either, you take an 'n' book per month subscription ... what if you don't like the book you start ?

Commissario
If you sub to Audible you get to chose the books, you basically buy X credits a month (for as long as you sub), and choose a book to use the credit on, there is also free content for subscribers,

If you cancel your sub you keep any left over credits and access to the books:)

I got a 3 month free trial (so 3 free audio book), then used things like a 2 for 1 sale to get a bunch cheap.

Soldato
Agreed River of Pain is by far the best of the existing ones, it properly fits in with the existing film lore as well.

Out Of The Shadows is pretty decent, I relistened on a work trip recently, better than I remembered.

I wouldn't bother with Sea Of Sorrows though, it's awful. Overall plot is fine but the character with the special 'talent'....ugh, and the sound effects. Save yourself a credit.

Can't wait for the original Alien3, great cast....although I'm one of the weird people that always quite liked the film as it stands :)

Soldato
OP
I listened to one of the alt stories and was amused by the voice of Bishop (I think) saying my voice has changed because ... no it's changed because you're Rutger Hauer :)

Still they are well done.

I actually got really annoyed by the Rutger Hauer bits in Out of the Shadows! Just sounded odd to me.

Commissario
I actually got really annoyed by the Rutger Hauer bits in Out of the Shadows! Just sounded odd to me.
it sort of made sense to me given how basic the computers on the Nostromo were, and how basic the escape pod/shuttle would be.

In pretty much the entire canon WY are meant to be a bunch of penny pinching criminals who only supply what is needed to get the job done at the lowest cost, whilst they might be willing to pay for a good voice synth for their android, the computers have a more basic/different unit that isn't as versatile.
It also ties in a bit with real life, when you consider that it's only relatively recently that hardware/software could replicate a wide range of voices reasonably realistically as opposed to having to tweak it at a hardware level or load specific samples into memory (anyone remember when your soundcard had it's own memory so you could load the samples to replicate midi sounds better iirc that was basically how many speech synthesizers of the time worked).

I remember how different the same tune could sound depending on which soundcard you used, so as a reason for Bishop sounding different it makes complete sense.
I went from an adlib compatible* to a SB16 compatible, or an Awe32 compatible, to a Live card complete with all the effects it could do in real time! then couldn't really tell the difference much with later cards.

*Around the time of Aliens your choice of soundcard massively impacted how your game sounded, right down to how many notes it could do at one, let alone how it coped with artificial speech.

Soldato
Listened to it today, first time i've listened to them do the actual audio drama like bbc used to do on the radio. I guess it's easy to see why the script was rejected, Ripley isn't really in the film at all. So if Fox wanted to Secure her for the 3rd movie this script would need re-written for a 3rd time. Although interestingly you can see quite a few of the story elements made there way into Alien Resurrection and Prometheus in some ways. Not sure if I like the Aliens being able to change how they reproduce. This time an air born virus that completely transforms a human into a full Alien after a small amount of time. Again elements seem borrowed from other movies. In this case, the tension from the Thing (1982)

I've downloaded a couple of the other stories recommended above.

Back
Top Bottom