• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

980ti memory errors

Associate
Hi guys, looks like my EVGA 980ti is starting to fail on my system - I just wondered if there's any suggestions on what else I can try. Or is it time to bite the bullet and get a new card?

So the symptoms are black screens when I'm trying putting a bit of strain on anything in 3d. I use Blender for 3D modelling and I get the black screen if I try and do something too complex, and also if I try and launch Hitman I get the black screen immediately. It's OK watching videos and browsing the web.

Here's what I've done so far - happy to hear any suggestions.

Updated the GPU drivers
I've taken the OC off from my CPU and GPU and set timings etc. to default in the BIOS
I've watched the voltage monitors in BIOS to see any fluctuations - seemed stable
Taken GPU out, cleaned the connecting pins, fans, res-seated it firmly in to the MOBO. Also verified the fans are working OK
I ran memtestG80 and it finds loads of errors in random memory tests
After seeing the errors in the memory test I've tried underclocking the GPU just to see if it made any difference, but same thing when I run the tests.

So right now I'm thinking there's an issue with the memory and I'm just wondereing if there's anything to try with that? I read an article about cooking broken GPU's in the oven ? :D I dunno, I'm probably not going to do that because I still have some funtionality in 2D for the time being.

As for warranty, I bought the card new in 2015 but it failed in 2017 with a similar problem. EVGA sent me this replacement which is giving me problems. Unfortunately the warranty was for 3 years from the initial purchase so I am out of warranty now.

I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions, cheers!

Associate
Firstly, what are your temperatures like?

As for warranty, I bought the card new in 2015 but it failed in 2017 with a similar problem. EVGA sent me this replacement which is giving me problems. Unfortunately the warranty was for 3 years from the initial purchase so I am out of warranty now.

I'm not sure of EVGA but when I've got warranty replacements before, the warranty has always been renewed for the replacement as if you just bought a new GPU.

Associate
OP
Firstly, what are your temperatures like?

I'm not sure of EVGA but when I've got warranty replacements before, the warranty has always been renewed for the replacement as if you just bought a new GPU.

Interesting, I'll check that out on the EVGA terms and conditions.

As for temperatures, I'll double check that later but I think it was idling around sixty odd.

Associate
Oh that's quite low compared to mine. I'm running two monitors off this card, I believe that pushes the temp up a bit too.

Yeah, I was too but with an AIO it ran a lot cooler. I looked online after I posted that and was surprised to see that 60c seems fairly normal.

Associate
OP
So I've opened a ticket with EVGA, will have to wait and see what they say about it.

I double checked my temps now that I am home, it's actually idling a bit lower than I first thought at about 48c.

I noticed you have the Radeon VII Tom, how are you finding that card ? Did you go from 980ti to that ?

Associate
OP
Also, I found this in the T&C

• This EVGA Limited Warranty begins from the date that the Product was originally purchased, as verified by a proof of purchase provided and/or confirmed by an Authorized Reseller.

I read it as saying the warranty runs 3 years from original purchase :(

Associate
I noticed you have the Radeon VII Tom, how are you finding that card ? Did you go from 980ti to that ?

Yeah 980ti to VII. I'm playing at 4k so the 980ti was starting to struggle, the VII is a decent improvement. Probably depends what you're playing and at what resolution/refresh rate as to whether it's worth it.

Associate
I double checked my temps now that I am home, it's actually idling a bit lower than I first thought at about 48c.

That's much more what I'd expect to see. What matters more though is how hot it gets under load

I read it as saying the warranty runs 3 years from original purchase :(

Yeah it looks like that may be the case: https://forums.evga.com/Does-a-GPU-RMA-replacement-get-renewed-warranty-m2886242.aspx

Still can't hurt to ask.

Associate
OP
I had a response from EVGA support, kinda what I expected tbh.
thank you for contacting us.

We're sorry, that your graphic card seems to not work properly anymore.

Based on the troubleshoots you have already been done,
we can inform you, that we are at the end of the troubleshooting possiblities,
which usually a warranty service have to be started.

Unfortunately, because your original card was bought in July 2015,
we have to inform you, that your graphic card is out of warranty
and therefore, we can't assist you in that case with the warranty service.

Furthermore, we have to inform you, that there is no possibility to send the card to us and paying a fee,
that the card can be repaired. This service was shutted down, due to receiving wrong products, which had no relation to EVGA.

We're sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Back
Top Bottom