Cookeh goes shedding...

Caporegime
Please sand and paint the wheels. They have been the most offensive part of the car right from the start of the thread! :p

Also 38mpg on a run at 60MPH from a T5? :eek:

You would need to work at it to get 38mph and the conditions need to be right.

1 - no hard accelerating
2 - mostly flat roads
3 - good tyres

I've done 36mpg on a 200mile (Hereford to Broadstairs) at night with no traffic.

Soldato
OP
Coming up in this post: endless moaning, little bit of ranting, some mildy repressed rage. Bring tea. Or vodka, I did.

Managed to get home slightly early today so I thought I'd look into the brake squeal that's been developing over the last few days. I initially expected pads as whilst the current ones are only 18 months or around 12000mi old they were Bargain Basement Eichers, so I grabbed a new set from ECP during their (eternal) sale.

Don't you just love it when a simple 30 minute job of changing brake pads turns into a 4 hour farce? I attribute all of this, every single second of delay, to trivial cost-cutting and bad design. Obviously, the first step in brake pad change is to jack the car up and get the wheels off. I'm not going to complain about the silly crease jacking point that inevitably gets bent by every garage who throw it on a lift or just use a flat jack pad - promise. I am definitely going to complain about having to use a 4ft breaker bar to get the lug nuts loose though, that sucked. God bless lazy fitters with air impact guns :mad:

Anyway, car was up, bolts were loose, but would the wheel come off? Would it hell.
Okay, fair enough common problem. I'll just give it a bit of a lovetap at 3 and 9 and it will pop free? Nope.
Okay, rubber mallet? Nope.
Hmm, righto, swift kicks to to top of the wheel then? Nope.
WD40 and a repeat of the above? Nope.
2x4 and 5lb lump hammer from the back of the wheel? Nope.
Dropping it from the max jack height with nuts loosened? Yeah, no.
Driving it down the street with nuts loosened? Nope (and stupid).

Impressive, right? Who said the French surrender easily?! :o After far too damn long I gave up (now who's the surrender monkey) and took it to my local garage who spend the next 30 minutes using an acetylene torch on the mating lip. Even after that it took some serious hits from a 10lb hammer to break them free. With them free I was quite surprised to see that beyond the usual corrosion mating the lip on the hub to the steel wheel, the hub had also mated itself with the back of the steel which was contributing to the sticking.

At this point I made use of their airtools to clean the hub, inner face of the wheel and that mating lip up. To be honest I had to, couldn't get the wheel to sit back flush on the hub the corrosion was that bad. The mating surfaces then got slavered in coppaslip to hopefully prevent that happening again any time soon. So, around 2 hours to remove two wheels, magnificent. Would have been a proper pain in the rear if, say, I'd gotten a flat...luckily for me that came later...:cool:

ix3u6c.jpg

You can still just about see the places the steelie had welded itself to the hub with corrosion. Eagle eyed will also notice the disk retaining screw is missing, need to find one of those.

So back at home and, onto the actual job at hand then. Internet says the caliper bolts are 13mm. I suppose they might have been once, but when I got to them they had so much corrosion on them that the 14mm head barely got on them. Broke out my rotary tool and wire wheeled them for a good little while until they started looking like a hexagon again. In their self-defense, once cleaned up, they functioned as they were meant to.

The caliper slider pins however, decided now was a good time to act up. Turns out corrosion on the caliper meant that the flat section of the slider pins was not sitting in the groove it was meant to, and so nothing stopped it spinning freely when turning the caliper bolt. Channel locks to the rescue, and the bolt came loose.

2s8qlgx.jpg

Here's the old pads and hardware. The squeal could be explained by those crusty shims, the shims being partially detached/moved, or by the rusty hardware prevent the pads from moving easily. Surprisingly my initial expectation of low pad material was wrong, with 3.5mm or so left. Still, that's hardly a lot and I can't live with a squeal so in the bin they went.

2u7wyuv.jpg

Yet more corrosion where the hardware sits. Also a possibly contributor - a definite contributor to the sticky brake on the nearside though. Wire brushed, then wheeled, and the new hardware installed:

2whqmo6.jpg

PSA: Always buy new hardware. Costs what, £4-5 on sale at places like ECP? Saves a lot of hassle and improves longevity.

551d0l.jpg

Standard, expected, new v old.

1ykh02.jpg

More corrosion, pot was terrible. Now this is entirely down to rubbish design. With pads installed the pad sits slightly lower than the top of the pot (you can see this in the pic with the old pads, look at where the circle of the piston pot sits). This means it is permanently exposed to water/dirt/crap - especially the caliper being mounted facing the front of the car. Genius PSA, genius. Wire wheeled, bit of coppaslip (if to do nothing but try and stop it welding itself to the shim).

With those installed, all I had to do was install the new bolts (14mm this time, odd) and repeat on the other side. Other side was slightly better, no issues with spinning slider bolts this time so this side actually took the expected 15 minutes or less :).

At this point I decided to tackle another example of cost-cutting that had started to become a real eyesore. The mudguards. For whatever reason, in their infinite infallible wisdom, PSA decided to make the mounting bracket for the mudguards from metal - but not just any metal, 1.5mm thick (apparently) mild steel which was seemingly then not given any sort of protection...:confused:

A few months (let alone a decade) later, where once you had a shiny clean mudguard bracket you now have this:

9h5450.jpg

Best part is, its an entirely visible part - its not hidden or masked in anyway whatsoever and has a real tendency to catch your (my) eye. I couldn't wire wheel it, as it would just vanish, cant replace it, and I cant even remove it as the bloody screws securing it have stripped. So, whats the next best... yes okay, the next cheapest and laziest method? Wire brush and some Hammerite.

14j6bdt.jpg

Got another coat after this pic, and will probably get another next time I'm working on the lemon. Definitely better, not as much of an eyesore. Should really have done the retaining clips and the other screw shouldn't I? Ah well, did I mention it was a lazy approach? :D

With what limited time I had left I decided to clean the windows. Now that we have a bit of sunlight in the afternoons I'd noticed that the front screen was deplorable. Covered in smudge marks and water spots....yes, really. When this heap suffers a leaky boot in winter it actually gets a frozen windscreen on the inside too (will have to find an old vid my sis sent). That, combined with no a/c, meant lots and lots of water spots. Here is the result from just the front windscreen - you don't even want to see what the rear window side looked like once all the dog nose-art had been eradicated.

29em8mv.jpg

And that was all for today. 30 mins into 4 hours because of cost cutting and crap design. Oh, and the flat thing I made a jibe at earlier? Happened on the way home from some errands, at least the wheel came off this time! Hooray.

Soldato
To be fair that experience would apply to most older car that have been neglected and/or left standing regularly. Even expensive cars suffer from wheels getting corroded onto hubs and the caliper corrosion looks fairly typical for a car of that age.

Cleaning all traces of corrosion from the machined surfaces of the carrier where the clips mount, and applying brake grease between the clips and the carrier to prevent future corrosion would be a wise move. Squealing brakes (and premature pad wear) are often caused by corrosion behind the clips pinching the pad.

Soldato
OP
The wheels were off the car last August to get new tyres. I was and still am in disbelief that they were that hard to get off.

Thing is the car wasn't really neglected, never left standing. It was a daily driven car that got a yearly service and either my father or I did the consumable work like brakes/suspension whatever as they came up - or at least as and when we were informed of them :D. Definitely neglected cosmetically though, and abused by a mucky pup.

Couldn't agree more regarding cleaning and lubing the area where the clips sit, that was the first thing I addressed. I also agree that corrosion in that spot is what led to one pad sticking and hence one of sources of the squeal. One of the pads was a real pain to get out as a result.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So after treating this garbage can to some maintenance and a good clean, it repays me by developing a bit of a backfire and a rattly exhaust that slowly evolved into a boy racer's wet dream loud enough to require turning the stereo up to 90% to match its volume.

Got home, jacked it up, and immediately saw the problem...

Yummy hole

Shocked at how quickly that appeared to be honest, literally over the course of one day or around 60 miles. Sadly I can't even blame PSA for this one - they are my favourite scapegoat. The original back box fell off on the motorway 5 years ago, this is a cheap (£42 fitted according to the receipt) backbox/silencer made in the UK. 5 years from something that cheap is pretty impressive though!

Actually, I guess in a round-about way I can blame PSA; if the original exhaust was any good it would never have fallen off and so never have needed to be replaced by a cheaper aftermarket part. There we go, where there is a will there is a way :D
Whilst down there I noticed that there are quite a few rusty appendages on the bottom of this car. The exhaust bracket is looking pretty bad and is definitely going to require a stiff wire brush and some paint:

Tasty rust

Furthermore, the centre-section is looking a bit crusty. Not holed or anything, so probably only going to replace the back box and silencer tbh. Car is meant to be saving me money after all :mad:.

Delicious centre section

Both subframes also have quite a bit of rust and a there are a few other isolated spots that probably need a touch-up. Just surface rust for now, so we'll see if they ever get touched...

Caporegime
They sound pretty good being a 3 cylinder, chop it off haha :p

Also have you chocked the wrong side of the front wheels or am I going mad? E; I guess it's on a slope in the other direction :p

Soldato
OP
They sound pretty good being a 3 cylinder, chop it off haha :p

Sounds absolutely bloody awful. Pops weren't the worst thing in the world, admittedly... but the rasp and drone, eugh. Had to go!

Also have you chocked the wrong side of the front wheels or am I going mad? E; I guess it's on a slope in the other direction :p

Yup, slopey slope so I chock both sides. It is not huge but does warrant chocking nonetheless.

Jacked
____

Couldn't hack waiting for an exhaust to get delivered so I spent an extra £5 and picked one up from ECP this afternoon. £39.63 for the silencer and another £6.49 or something for a new V-band clamp. Turns out the rollerskate is so impractical you have to drop the rear seats to fit its own exhaust in :p Poor design imo, especially when these things eat backboxes as often as they do ;)

Zorst in boot

After jacking the car up I tried to unbolt the old v-clamp, penetrating fluid and the longest chain of spanners I could fit in the limited space... I definitely need to find a jack with a higher max height! Those attempts were fruitless, so I broke out my latest toy - a propane blowtorch. Sadly, this didn't help so I had to resort to using a hacksaw blade to cut the bolt off. After sawing through it (took a while given the limited range of movement :()I gave the clamp a bit of a love tap and the bolt dropped out, then a bit of poking with a flathead screwdriver to break away some of the rust and it is out with the old.

V-band during
Woeful v-band

Getting the old exhaust out of the rubber hangers was quite a bit tricker than I anticipated as the old exhaust had flanged tips to the hangers. Lots of lube and some twisting (oooooh, matron!) of the rubber and they did eventually give. Naturally installing the new exhaust was much easier, just slipped in and bolted right up:

New v-band
New zorst on

New exhaust really shows up how scaly the centre section is, but given it is not leaking or holed I am not inclined to replace it - not when the purpose of the car is to save money (pahaha). Oh, and yes I did remove the sticker! With the old exhaust off we could give it a more in-depth perusal. Obviously, it was not good:

Exhaust rust
Exhaust rust

So, a relatively quick and easy job that saves my sanity. It was also my first time doing exhaust work, about as easy as expected difficulty wise - and pain in the arse wise too given the amount of spray and salt the bolts get exposed to.

Associate
New exhaust really shows up how scaly the centre section is, but given it is not leaking or holed I am not inclined to replace it - not when the purpose of the car is to save money (pahaha).

Good read - Though in what world, would anyone think owning an old Peugeot, would end up saving money :p

Peugeot and saving money just don't go together historically :D

Soldato
Many cars are built under the same platform/joint venture - Does not mean they are all of equal quality, so no, my opinion would not be different.

Despite the fact they are built right next to each other in the same factory?

Cookeh if you want really cheap parts you can probably get them from Aliexpress. Did you know the Chinese cloned the Aygo, right down to the engine which looks identical to the Toyota KR?

Soldato
Many cars are built under the same platform/joint venture - Does not mean they are all of equal quality, so no, my opinion would not be different.

All three triplets are built in the same factory by the same joint venture company on the same line using the same parts. There's minor cosmetic differences in external panels, that's it.

Back
Top Bottom