Is this OLED screen-burn worth bothering about?

Soldato
How about a regula
you've subconciously read it, that product is already planned - 1080p 'filter' = from a chinese company discussed on here, check google, was it hisense

Is the jury out, on whether burn in/ageing on phones is better/worse than tv's, do phones just present less risk since poh are smaller, have they even 'bothered' to put the same technologies of pixel shift, static emblem recognition, cleaning, in place ?

Soldato
Is the jury out, on whether burn in/ageing on phones is better/worse than tv's, do phones just present less risk since poh are smaller, have they even 'bothered' to put the same technologies of pixel shift, static emblem recognition, cleaning, in place ?

Well, phones are expected to last two years. Tvs what, 4 at least?

Phones are throwaway devices with planned obsolescence; designed to last for two years, at which point support stops, warranties end and screens - OLEDs, anyway - deteriorate. They dont need to make OLED panels last longer than that so no, they dont have any of the anti-burn tech built in. In my own experience, every OLED paneled phones I've owned has suffered with varying levels of burn. My three galaxy S phones (2,4 and 8), my note 4, the Mrs' S6. Every one of them. I'm not unreasonable with the brightness, either. my S8 doesnt see more than 40% brightness outside of the VERY occasional HDR clip or outside in direct sunlight when im trying to read a text or something similar but it has a permanent band at the bottom thanks to the nav bar. Other people will tell you burn in doesnt happen but that's my experience.

V F

V F

Soldato
Correct however as I have my panel in a bright room it does need to get bright otherwise the reflections can get bad

With HDR my panel defaults to max brightness if I drop the brightness it starts making the contrast look worse too

My panel has a peak brightness of 1400 lumens according to Rtings. I’ve not measured it but if it’s in SDR and I put the brightness and lights to max it’s so bright that I can turn the bulbs in the room off because the TV is brighter than the light bulbs - however I will never do this in day to day use, it’s like looking into the sun and my eyes literally start hurting instantly

I've never seen any of the Moth eye tech used in flagship TVs recently...

Soldato
Phones are throwaway devices with planned obsolescence; designed to last for two years, at which point support stops, warranties end and screens - OLEDs, anyway -... . Other people will tell you burn in doesnt happen but that's my experience.

were they on contract, so you didn't care too much, otherwise, for something that might be 50% of the cost of an oled tv, I would be (trying to) exercise my consumer rights.
I suppose that must be incorporated in 2nd hand value of such phones, versus their led equivalent, but, maybe the non-replaceable battery is on its way out anyway.

Caporegime
Decent video that talks a bit about burn in and HDR etc. near the end:

Still no issues on my E7, which has been in use since October/November 2017 and has been put through heavy gaming usage etc.

Caporegime
It’s not really at you, it’s the whole argument that people are making in here about Samsung binning off OLED for LCD as if they decided one was better than the other - they hit a tech impasse and gave up putting all efforts into LCD, the fact they make small OLED screens for premium products tells you all you need to know about what tech is ‘better’

I take it you own an oled TV?

There is no such thing as a perfect TV. Oled included.

So you cant argue this tech is better when its fundamentally flawed. I would buy both but I know that oled isnt suitable for gaming or PC usage without a lot of varied content.

I know people who watch sky sports all day long so wouldn't be suitable for them either.

Soldato
Sony support told me their tvs hav burn in warranty for 1 year after purchase.

Lg told me no burn in warranty

My iPhone has a oled screen - has zero burn in after 2 years

Caporegime
Sony support told me their tvs hav burn in warranty for 1 year after purchase.

Lg told me no burn in warranty

My iPhone has a oled screen - has zero burn in after 2 years

iPhones only recently switched to oled iirc.

Even if it does just because yours doesn't mean there aren't thousands who do have screen burn.

The tech has only in the past 2 years gotten better in regards to screen burn. The warranty situation is obvious. Diesel cars dont warranty against dpf issues also leases on diesel now state you need to do a minimum of x amount of miles per year as well as have a maximum level of miles.

It's about usage. Just because some guy only does 4k miles a year in his diesel and doesn't have issues doesn't mean someone doing 8k won't. The 4k miles could be a car which is used fortnightly for a long drive and the 8k every day for a short trip.

So you will have people saying diesels are great and fine and others saying they are crap and dirty.

It's the same with oled only buy one if you watch varied content constantly.

Soldato
I take it you own an oled TV?

There is no such thing as a perfect TV. Oled included.

So you cant argue this tech is better when its fundamentally flawed. I would buy both but I know that oled isnt suitable for gaming or PC usage without a lot of varied content.

I know people who watch sky sports all day long so wouldn't be suitable for them either.

I do have an OLED and as a heavy gamer but not someone who sits with the telly on news channels 24/7 I have zero concerns about burn, same with Plamsa that I ran for over 15 years - I wouldn’t buy an OLED if I was watching sky news for 10 hours a day.

Check out Rtings who have ran a COD & Fifa (on 2x tellies) for over 5000 hours virtually non stop with no burn on a 2017 OLED and they have smaller red pixels than 2018 onwards so more likely too burn!

LCD can still burn even if it’s less likely and has far more flaws when talking about outright PQ and that’s all I care about for my use, I would guess I game far more than the average telly user so more at ‘risk’ but the reality is the risk is very small.

Caporegime
I do have an OLED and as a heavy gamer but not someone who sits with the telly on news channels 24/7 I have zero concerns about burn, same with Plamsa that I ran for over 15 years - I wouldn’t buy an OLED if I was watching sky news for 10 hours a day.

Check out Rtings who have ran a COD & Fifa (on 2x tellies) for over 5000 hours virtually non stop with no burn on a 2017 OLED and they have smaller red pixels than 2018 onwards so more likely too burn!

LCD can still burn even if it’s less likely and has far more flaws when talking about outright PQ and that’s all I care about for my use, I would guess I game far more than the average telly user so more at ‘risk’ but the reality is the risk is very small.

confirmed my thoughts on rose tinted spectacles. i also own a plasma and i've owned 3 of them altogether. all of them had horrible retention issues and one of them got burn in. which is why i have stayed away from OLED.

as for heavy gaming usage. i have 3 tv's in the house and one of them is used solely for gaming (console) i then also have a 32" 165HZ pc monitor too for pc gaming.

it depends solely on the panel lottery and your usage. i have next to zero issues with my XF90 it's IMO a brilliant panel at a brilliant price.

Soldato
confirmed my thoughts on rose tinted spectacles. i also own a plasma and i've owned 3 of them altogether. all of them had horrible retention issues and one of them got burn in. which is why i have stayed away from OLED.

as for heavy gaming usage. i have 3 tv's in the house and one of them is used solely for gaming (console) i then also have a 32" 165HZ pc monitor too for pc gaming.

it depends solely on the panel lottery and your usage. i have next to zero issues with my XF90 it's IMO a brilliant panel at a brilliant price.

Not sure I get rose tinted spectacles comments but my Plasmas started with Panasonic PHD6 and ended with a Panasonic GT60 with various Panasonic’s in between and none had any retention issues - that original PHD6 had 12k hours on it when I sold it and most of that was Xbox 360, 2004 plasma should have been retention city if you buy the hype but as calibrated I’m sure this helped - the gas didn’t even run out :p

I mean we have 5 lcds in the house, some tellies and some gaming monitors but I wouldn’t want to watch a movie on them as a main screen, OLED burn is blown out of proportion but you obv have your mind made up and the XF90 was a decent set for a local dimmer and we obv have different priorities from a screen.

The world would be boring if we all liked the same thing after all :)

Caporegime
I find it hard to believe you didn't ever get retention.

I have a gt50 still. Pz85b and a Samsung d8000 before it.

All of them had issues none of them were retention proof.

Soldato

On the flip side I know loads of people heavily into home cinema and gaming and don’t know anyone that ever had any retention, the worst was a mate who left the telly on overnight in a drunken mess with the sky TV guide banner on it - some temp retention that cleared after a static video loop - that was on a Panasonic commercial screen that set him back 6k in 2007 so as you can imagine he was not the type who would gloss over any actual retention.

All my commercial screens were sold to people who tested them before buying with test patterns and checked for brightness drops let alone retention - all sold with no issues! My old GT60 is with a mate playing Fortnite daily still after my 4 years of hammering it with games esp several thousand hours of Destiny and not a hint of retention.

I’m staggered you got retention on a plasma let alone 3 unless you run them all in dynamic mode, mine were all ISF calibrated and I tend to like the room dark so calibrated for this - outside of lamps never have a light on in the living room so could imagine someone burning the hell out of plasma in a bright room is more likely to get retention than I was but even then I’d expect it to clear up and not burn.

Last edited:
Soldato

I only remember seeing image retention twice over the 12 years that I owned my pioneer plasma's

Once after I fell asleep while leaving a static DVD title menu on screen
and another time was after I fell asleep with the bright static sky box pause icon or sky menu or something
(I can only remember it was something static displayed by my skybox)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just to add, my E7 has reached 2000 hours now as it has just done the pixel refresher that kicks in automatically when the TV hits that usage (it is apparently supposed to clear up any image retention etc., can't really comment on this though as I've not seen any on my tv at all, not even temporary retention).

That's another point, I wonder if some these people who have burn in have turned off that auto pixel refresher option (runs in standby mode after the TV's been used for 4 hours) and/or turned off the TV at the mains as if so, this won't activate, which could possibly explain some peoples burn in......

Last edited:
Soldato
You're iPhone screen is not on hour after hour all day long...

I’ve played game on it with fixed UI elements up to 3 hours at a time.

In saying that I game on my tv for up to 6 hours at a time and I suspect OLED TVs get brighter than the iphones screen and brightness seems to have a massive effect on burn in for oleds.

Maybe I’ll just wait for the Sony A9G to come in stock since they offer burn in warranty in my country

Soldato
AND left the TV turned on at the mains
so you have to turn the TV off at the mains for refresher to work ? ...I always leave tv's in standby - sorry environment.

Maybe I’ll just wait for the Sony A9G to come in stock since they offer burn in warranty in my country
what and how-long, do they warranty then ?
as I had said .. even if UK, if you follow their usage instructions and nonetheless get burn in, it means there is a manufacturing defect .. so justifiable warranty claim.

Back
Top Bottom