Hosting in 2019?

Soldato
I used TSO for a few months years ago, they kept having to move my DB's to new boxes as they were over capacity, ended up with a handful of bare metal VPS's from 1&1, never had a single issue in the years I've used them.

Soldato
I find the pricing structures in azure confusing. I've looked at build a little database website for my wife's work, contains rare insurance coverage etc. Probably not even 500 searches a month. Azure jumped out at me but wasn't sure on cost.

If you chose a developer SKU (something like B2) it would pretty much be free. Cost comes when you want to use a custom domain etc, but even that's not expensive

Man of Honour
OP
If you chose a developer SKU (something like B2) it would pretty much be free. Cost comes when you want to use a custom domain etc, but even that's not expensive
Do you run any Linux stuff on Azure?

We use it for their breadth of obscure locations and their processes for things like disks seem a bit convoluted compared to say Google.

But then everything is convoluted compared to GCP / DO - spoilt I think.

Soldato
they've very much lost their way in recent years which is sad.

They are owned by Go Daddy now.

Saying that, I have been with TSO for a LONG time and quality of service and support has remained second to none in my experience so although owned by Go Daddy, they have allowed them to run as they were.

Soldato
I don't need hosting for any the projects I have programmed myself, but there are times where I would instead use a Wordpress blog solely for the ease of use and ability to get it up and running quickly. If you could provide a one-click install that handles creating and configuring the MySQL database as well as letting me install any add-ons I like and I'd be tempted to use you. I currently use Linode for all of my websites.

Associate
Just don't use a hosting company called 'Hostinger' stinger being the operative name.

Agree with this. Hostinger is the WORST hosting company I also have a experienced, some eastern Europen outfit they deliberately cripple services so they can move you to
to higher tiers.

Complete cow boys.

Associate
This is fantastic news. Was with Vidahost for years and I don't think perfection is an understatement. Sadly now with TSO and appalling would be too much praise. Have had both my websites offline for 48 hours as they failed to renew the LetsEncrypt and bizarrely never even noticed. After many hours of them looking at it with no response they have concluded that the old server I am on is too old. In their words "I reviewed the case and it appears that the server where your hosting plan is located is running outdated versions of cPanel, Let's Encrypt and MySQL."...... The cPanel version is 60.0.48.

Have told them to sort the server out and get it moved so at least my sites are back online but times up now and I was looking at Krystal earlier however now have Stablepoint open in my browser and will look in more detail. Never had to deal with the guys much at Vidahost which says how good they were, TSO the total opposite. I was even blamed today for LetsEncrypt not renewing and that it might not be possible to renew as they don't always allow it. As its free they also refuse any compensation.

Now I only run a club website and a enthusiast website but still.

Associate
Stablepoint looks tempting but the major downer is only 10 websites. The Reseller package is to expensive for me... as I have loads of small micro sites the 10 limit is no go.

Oh is it me or does anyone else keep mixing up Stablepoint with Sitepoint.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
This is fantastic news. Was with Vidahost for years and I don't think perfection is an understatement.
Good to hear, thanks. And sorry.

I was even blamed today for LetsEncrypt not renewing and that it might not be possible to renew as they don't always allow it.
Crazy.

Now I only run a club website and a enthusiast website but still.
Small sites are the key part of any hosting business. It's also what certain hosting companies focus on in their advertising. But when a company *makes* you feel small....

I think I talked to you on chat earlier. I can't really talk publicly about the company at present but with stories like yours, I don't think I need to quite frankly.

I think for them to notice would be tricky as there will be thousands each day to look at, however it sounds like a known issue, meaning they presumably are aware and should approach the issue with humility :/

When we hired staff the one thing we rejected was anyone arrogant or had an outsize ego around their tech abilities. We taught everyone to act like a normal human. Seems simple right? Some of our best staff were actually people with no previous tech experience.

Sithlord...yes this is one issue so far, at Vida there were resource limits but more generous site limits, whereas these days people want things to be unlimited so to KISS we setup packages based on number of sites as that's easier to understand.

I've thought about editing though - maybe we fix the disk allowances and make site numbers higher? Happy to figure something out of course :)

Sgarrista
Commissario
Stablepoint looks tempting but the major downer is only 10 websites. The Reseller package is to expensive for me... as I have loads of small micro sites the 10 limit is no go.

Oh is it me or does anyone else keep mixing up Stablepoint with Sitepoint.

Let me set you up something later, you might like it you might not, its a little different but it certainly sounds like it might fit your needs :)

Associate
Sithlord...yes this is one issue so far, at Vida there were resource limits but more generous site limits, whereas these days people want things to be unlimited so to KISS we setup packages based on number of sites as that's easier to understand.

I've thought about editing though - maybe we fix the disk allowances and make site numbers higher? Happy to figure something out of course :)

Yes, having a tier package on fixed disk allowances would be more logical with having say an unlimited sites would more logical (theres no such thing as "unlimited" disks).

Having unlimited sites instead allows people to migrate sites easier from different hosts, it allows SEO also etc.

Just beat pickaweb services.. and Im switching over in a couple of months : https://www.pickaweb.co.uk/web-hosting/ I hate their support.

Associate
Just to add to my comments, have now moved over from TSO to Stablepoint and the service received today via chat has been nothing short of fantastic. Very highly recommended.

Man of Honour
OP
Just to add to my comments, have now moved over from TSO to Stablepoint and the service received today via chat has been nothing short of fantastic. Very highly recommended.

Also...

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/06/18/tsohost_weeklong_outage/

:(

I've barely slept the last 2 days helping out an old friend - and infact ex-Paragon colleague - get his site back up and running.

He had looked at Rackspace but they quoted him a 10 day lead time. Ten days for a handful of servers!!

Soldato
I have to say, when I saw the news about the issues with tsohost, my first thought was 'thank god its not us this time', but then I watched all the poor sods in the BG office running around like headless chickens.. and couldnt help but laugh.. but thats what happens when the overseers put a hold on spending for their new acquisitions.

I could say more, but I'd get in bother if I did.

Back
Top Bottom