Car crisis, downgrade 40k to spend. Mustang?

Soldato
Gents

I have made a judgement error and was recently offered a new yard for my business which is to good to turn down. I need to downsize my fleet in financial terms. I face a big loss but such as life.

I currently have a R8 V10 Plus, big old spec but use it very rarely and have nearly 4 years left on monthly's. Its not desperate but i am finding the need to downsize my commitments and i am thinking to sell / Px against a used Mustang GT.

I just wondered if you had 40k to spend what would you buy?

The reason i like the mustang is quite simply the engine, and a bit of the heritage / looks. I dont need more than 2 seats most of the time, rwd is not a issue in the winter i have another vehicle i use. I do like a nice handling car but not afraid to modify it, infact that's half the fun

Other possibles?

M3
RS4

those who have had the mustang is it nice enough? the engine must be sublime ( a bit like the old B7 RS4)

interested in opinions and experience. I like BMW's but not sure i like the stigma that follows the m3 type crowd.

Associate
I have a Mustang Gt and it’s a perfectly usable car daily. The engine is the key point of it and they just do what you ask them to do.

The fit and finish is not going to be anywhere near your Audi though. There are cheaper plastics and it is built to a budget.

Go have a look at a few and take a drive. See what you think.

I’m in kind of the opposite place to you. My kids are bigger now and I struggle without the ease of a more practical car and the wife starting a new job means I have less access to her A6 we use for ferrying around. I’m considering selling and was looking at fast Audi’s but I don’t really want to switch and the increased cost is hard to swallow. I’ve only had the car a year and have enjoyed every minute of driving it.

As for winter, I daily drove and didn’t have a problem. Made it to work every day and didn’t get stuck.

It’s a capable car with a lot of character but it’s built to a price and in places it shows. Still best in class for the money I think though as it just makes you smile driving it.

Soldato
If its about the engine...how about a W204 C63. If you can live with the dated interior. Running costs are reasonable as long as your not commiuting too far and esp for non ppp cars.

Current F80 M3 just isn't exciting enough imo. I was left quite disappointed, its fare to sensible. I'd much rather have a competition pack M2.

Soldato
Dated interior? How very dare you!
I was going to suggest a C63 too. W204 would come in at significantly less than £40k and has the engine. W205 you could get for around that price and has the less dated interior. ;)
I went for the lesser price and the end-of-an-era engine myself.

Caporegime
I wish I had a car crisis that meant I had 40k to spend on a car.

It's £40K to spend on a weekend car which is rarely used.

My question would be why buy one at all?

Why not just sell the R8 and rent a car for the 1 or 2 days he wants one every so often. Or sell his daily and keep the R8? Or sell both and get 1 all rounder?

Caporegime
Don’t know why you feel the need to force yourself to spend £40k a car that you will hardly use. Why not half the budget ?

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
I'd say you have two options:

Used 15-17 S550.1 Mustang - 25-30k and it may have some subtle mods, to perfect handling, I highly recommend KW Clubsport coilovers, ride is fine, along with some Steeda braces and solid bushings in the rear to get rid of that rubberised feeling and slop they have in the rear.
Used 15-17 S55.1 Mustang - 30-40 once properly sorted, supercharger etc. but also the supercharger can get annoying, too much power at times for RWD.
Used 18+ Mustang - Make sure it has magnetic ride suspension, removes need for coilovers as its a fab system, you get the lovely digital dash too, and you will either hate or love the front-end.

They are fine as daily's, super cheap to run except for fuel, yearly service at around £300, expect under 20mpg if heavy footed, mid 20's average and on longer trips 30-35mpg in 15-17 and upto 40mpg in an MY18 with 10-speed.

Avoid the auto in 15-17 unless your happy with a very traditional and somewhat slow torque converter automatic, but in AUTO it works well and on the paddles it is not bad. Manual is nice, but can be made nicer with some cheap mods.
MY18 some love 10-speed and some hate it, test drive is a must!

Great cars, huge character, heritage, just a lovely car! Get the colour you really want!

Soldato
OP
Yeah sorry i probably didn't word the tittle very well, its a crisis in the sense that i dont know what to do. I have just committed to a new yard for my business that will push us to the next level however it has a fair cost implication so i can sit tight and lose 50k over 4 years or get out now and lose 20k over 4 years.. It makes some difference.

Incidentally i poped to a local car dealer today who had a face lift mustang. I was pleasantly surprised, it seems a nice place to be, i really like the looks of it also. Not sure if the facelift is much better than the previous

I am going back for a test drive later, i dont think it has mag ride. but at least want to tick the drive box for now to see if its worth pursuing over the country

@Gibbo thanks for your words, I had read back over many of your comments over your old thread. Strangely enough I have a Ford F150 which has the 10 speed auto but its 2017.

Back
Top Bottom