• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Every single M.2 slot listed in that diagram (all 3)are listed at 32Gbps, which is 4x PCI-E 3.0. Obviously the switches at the PCH to the 4x PCI-E slot which shows it listed at 4.0 specification is a bit misleading, since you can't have more than 4x 4.0 lanes from the PCH as that is all that is wired to it.

M.2 drives (well, one) do perform well on an Intel chipset. There's only 4 PCIe communication lanes there and bandwidth is shared with everything else on the chipset, so it might not be much of a limitation.

I'd like to know why the m.2 slot from the CPU doesn't support gen 4 speeds as well.

Soldato
DDR5 has not officially been certified and when it does launch, all rumors say desktop side will only get it 1 year at best later or 2 years at worst later.

Since the launch is rumored to be 2020, desktop DDR5 is not likely till about late 2020 or sometime 2021

Soldato
Will DDR5 be hitting this year or are we ways off yet? There seems to be a lot of people offloading DD4 RAM is that due to speed or are we moving onto faster DD4 sticks?

If I decide to early adopt onto this series don't want to get stung and left with duff gear 6 months down the line.

No. Not this year. Not sure why people are offloading memory, either. Best to wait, there’s some nuances that need to be understood.

Associate
No. Not this year. Not sure why people are offloading memory, either. Best to wait, there’s some nuances that need to be understood.

Although the half clock multiplier allows higher clocking memory I'm still betting lower speed low latency memory running at clock will be the way to go imo, same as Zen+.

Associate
Will DDR5 be hitting this year or are we ways off yet? There seems to be a lot of people offloading DD4 RAM is that due to speed or are we moving onto faster DD4 sticks?

If I decide to early adopt onto this series don't want to get stung and left with duff gear 6 months down the line.

"real" bandwidth benefits from DDR5 are 2 years away. The current (unreleased) crop has latencies that are awful and have no real advantage over a fast DDR4 kit

Soldato
Lol.
Shouldn't need any moderation unless trolls/fanboys start picking the one scenario where it doesn't beat Intel and then using that as the basis for saying it is slower full stop. No-one really cares which CPU is best for Space Invaders or Pacman.
Oh absolutely. But we all know that REAL gaming performance is measured by running CSGO at 1080p... A game that's engine harks back over 19 YEARS, and a resolution that's 15 years old.
These ridiculous benchmarks need to stop. Getting 700FPS in CSGO means NOTHING in the real world.

Soldato
"This more or less confirms that PCIe 4.0 support will be available on existing AM4 boards but there’s a catch.

While there’s support for PCIe Gen 4.0 on current motherboards, it is only possible with the AMD Ryzen 3000 series processors using the Zen 2 core architecture and even then, only the first PCIe x16 slot is said to be compatible with Gen 4.0 speeds as that operates over the CPU PCI-Express lanes while the rest of the slots would still function over the PCH which are only PCIe 3.0 compliant and we can also expect a single M.2 port to run at PCIe 4 speeds. That’ll mostly vary from board to board."

https://wccftech.com/gigabyte-bios-update-pcie-4-am4-motherboards-amd-ryzen-3000-cpus/

Scroll down to the bottom and see x570 Aorus VRM, as I mentioned, x570 boards are slightly better then z390..

• X570 Aorus Xtreme 16 Phases Digital VRM with Power Stages Triple Ultra Fast NVMe PCIe 4.0/3.0 x4 M.2
  • X570 Aorus Master 14 Phases Digital VRM with Power Stages Triple Ultra Fast NVMe PCIe 4.0/3.0 x4 M.2

Also, treat for Asus fans.. boards are not like z390 !!!

Caporegime
So, what are people expecting from the Computex Keynote? Are we going to get actual CPU names, core count, IPC gains, Frequency? Or just another blind benchmark? What info will we actually get??
My hope is for a confirmation of coming SKUs with prices. Also Navi SKUs with a demo.

Anything else is a bonus for me :)

Soldato
Confirmation of 8c/16t R5 and 12c/24t R7, with a mention that that a 16c/32t is coming too.

Navi will only get a demo, no specifics - that's coming at E3. I can see the demo being some kind of e-sports game running over 120fps @ 1080p with the twist being the CPU is actually a 8c/16t Ryzen 3000 showing the gaming performance gap to Intel is gone.

Back
Top Bottom