How to nuke a wasps nest?

Soldato
Looks like I have a wasps nest in my garden in the soil under a sleeper step. Is there anything recommended I can do myself or is it worth getting a pro in? There aren’t that many at the moment but assume there will end up being more if I don’t sort it.

Associate
Had some wasps looked like they were going underground near the entrance of the garden shed. I got a tub of nippon wasp powder.

I waited till it was dark till I applied it, as there less active the . I did it a few days in a row and they seemed to disappear.

Soldato
Caporegime
Congrats on setting the world record for the longest URL link

Soldato

I can vouch for the fact that that stuff not only works but you can indeed hit the nest from 3m away so you get a good head start on the wasps.

Man of Honour
easiest / cheapest thing to do is wait to night then pour a pint of petrol down the hole & cover it. The petrol will kill the wasps on contact and the fumes also kill them nearly instantly. Also works well for hornets (i've cleared a hornet nest out of an owl box using a small tray of petrol and a bin bag before).

I'm a beekeeper & have been given this advise by a national bee inspector in the past :)

Caporegime
easiest / cheapest thing to do is wait to night then pour a pint of petrol down the hole & cover it. The petrol will kill the wasps on contact and the fumes also kill them nearly instantly. Also works well for hornets (i've cleared a hornet nest out of an owl box using a small tray of petrol and a bin bag before).

I'm a beekeeper & have been given this advise by a national bee inspector in the past :)

i thought you were going to say pour petrol then light it. would be more fun.

Soldato
OP

Seems excessive, I like it! Main concern however is the longer term effects to the soil and grass? Im guessing nothing that I use is going to be particularly good to the area but will petrol not stay in the area for a long time?

i thought you were going to say pour petrol then light it. would be more fun.

I also thought that as I was reading it!

Soldato
We've got them in our cavity wall, they get in through the little vents in the pointing outside. Is there anything to do? They can't seem to get in the house and there doesn't seem to be millions of them.

Soldato
We've got them in our cavity wall, they get in through the little vents in the pointing outside. Is there anything to do? They can't seem to get in the house and there doesn't seem to be millions of them.
When we had this a guy who does pest control for a living sprayed some powdery stuff near the opening of the hole.

he said the bees that come in carry it back to the nest and it kills the hive.
I have no idea what he used, he didn't even charge me as he was a mate of a mate. :)

Soldato
Looks like I have a wasps nest in my garden in the soil under a sleeper step. Is there anything recommended I can do myself or is it worth getting a pro in? There aren’t that many at the moment but assume there will end up being more if I don’t sort it.

Are you absolutely sure they are wasps and not honeybees? Pretty early in the year for wasps.

We have bees in our walls which normally I'd not be bothered with but they are in the wall next to the bed! Noisy little buggers at night but they are pretty harmless and don't really feel nuking them is right... yet

Back
Top Bottom