• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

looking for a CPU on OCUK to go with this motherboard?

Associate
hi

GIGABYTE GA-Z97P-D3 LGA 1150 ATX Motherboard DDR3

im trying to find a cpu that will go with this board which is DDR3 that way i dont have to buy extra memory on this comp im trying to sort for my kids to play on, im hoping for around £100 for a cpu if possible so then i will have about £150 left for a decent gpu :)

if anyone can help on this, that be great, thanks

was going to try 2nd hand but dont trust auction sites these days

Associate
LGA 1150 is like 6 years old now. I sincerely doubt you'll be able to find new LGA 1150 CPUs in many places, and if you do they'll be grossly grossly overpriced. I doubt you'll find anything new that's worthwhile at the £100 range.

You can pick up a i5-4690k which, especially when overclocked but even when not, is still a good CPU for about £60 on the auction sites or that second hand exchange store (which offers 2 years warranty on it's parts I believe). I would much rather risk paying £60 for a used one than paying £230 for a new one on the rainforest site.

If you want to add a bit of longevity, getting an i7-4790k would be the way to go as it is a 4 core 8 thread part (the 4690k is 4 cores 4 threads), but that would set you back ~£160 on the 2nd hand market.

Soldato
Yeah, that one high street jumble sale chain is actually pretty good for picking up older CPUs at reasonable prices. I've bought five from them now and all worked fine, and were much cheaper than Ebay. You won't better the 4690K that you have (based on your signature) for £100 though. The 4790K is the endgame for that socket, though the 4770K is essentially the same chip and available for around the £120 mark. It should smooth out gaming performance quite a bit over a quad core with no Hyperthreading.

Associate
I was on a 4690K and looked at the 4790K but for the price at the time (around £200) and with no upgrade path I saved and bit the bullet on a full upgrade to an 8 series system. £100 probably won't buy you a hyperthreaded CPU unfortunately, even second hand, and if you send extra on one your remaining cash for a gfx card will be very limited.

Back
Top Bottom