Rift s whos getting one?

Associate
hmmm getting worried now, just ran the oculus compatability checker and it says my usb ports arent compatable. my usb 3 ports ran the rift fine so i didnt think it would be an issue so havent ran the tool up until now. however its only listing 2 ports that arent compatable and im wondering if these are the 2 front ones but im unsure how to check. i get this error.
  • Etron USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
  • Etron USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
its a asus extreme 4 gen 3 mobo (old i know but has never let me down) has anyone else had this issue and got the older oculus to work? how would i check if its my front usb ports so i can run out and get a pci card before it arrives tomorrow if its not those?

Edit: after spending hours around the web searching for answers it doesnt look good, so managed to get a recomended card from the rainforest with same day delivery as i couldnt find any stores near me that stock anything close to what i need:(

Last edited:
Soldato
Got mine yesterday. Had a CV 1 since launch mainly playing Elite Dangerous.

Only played around for a bit but optics are a fair jump. Brighter more colourful, sharper, less God rays. Very easy setup. Looong firmware update though. I wear glasses and no problems there either. Did get massive tension in the back of my head if I tightened the headset too much. Needs a light touch for me.

Elite and everything else looks great. For me a worthy upgrade. This is what CV1 should have been.

If this is your first VR headset you will be amazed. For the price I think it's a great headset.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Just read the first review written by a DCS player, who stated that it was significantly sharper, and thus easier to read cockpit dials and similar in the Huey he was flying. All very positive so far. Should be getting mine later today. Better book my evening to myself with the missus.

Associate
Got mine yesterday. Had a CV 1 since launch mainly playing Elite Dangerous.

Only played around for a bit but optics are a fair jump. Brighter more colourful, sharper, less God rays. Very easy setup. Looong firmware update though. I wear glasses and no problems there either. Did get massive tension in the back of my head if I tightened the headset too much. Needs a light touch for me.

Elite and everything else looks great. For me a worthy upgrade. This is what CV1 should have been.

If this is your first VR headset you will be amazed. For the price I think it's a great headset.

Any comment on the built-in audio? I'm not expecting Dolby quality, but is it passable in a quiet environment? Mine arrives later today, but I'd appreciate your thoughts nonetheless.

Soldato
Just read the first review written by a DCS player, who stated that it was significantly sharper, and thus easier to read cockpit dials and similar in the Huey he was flying. All very positive so far. Should be getting mine later today. Better book my evening to myself with the missus.
My take vs CV1 in DCS:
+
S is sharper
No godrays
Colours are just as good
Head tracking is perfect
-
Same identical settings tanked my FPS from playable 45-50 on CV1 to 30 (!) on the S. On an empty Caucases map, at low to mid altitudes (rechecked by plugging back CV1 and playing a few different missions and planes. 8700K, 1080ti, 16Gb)
Sharpness is still nowhere near enough and reading instrument labels stil requires leaning in
Audio is ABYSMAL compared to CV1

=
Still debating with myself if I should keep the CV1 :D

Soldato
My take vs CV1 in DCS:
+
S is sharper
No godrays
Colours are just as good
Head tracking is perfect
-
Same identical settings tanked my FPS from playable 45-50 on CV1 to 30 (!) on the S. On an empty Caucases map, at low to mid altitudes (rechecked by plugging back CV1 and playing a few different missions and planes. 8700K, 1080ti, 16Gb)
Sharpness is still nowhere near enough and reading instrument labels stil requires leaning in
Audio is ABYSMAL compared to CV1

=
Still debating with myself if I should keep the CV1 :D
thanks mate, I had a feeling performance might take a hit because it's a higher resolution apart from anything else.

However the alternatives are either higher resolution again or/and significantly more expensive.

Hopefully if the rift s is enough of an improvement, I can keep that until hardware improves enough to drive higher resolution.
I'm waiting for more negative reviews as most have been pretty positive, I'm planning on using external headphones or in ear, so we'll see.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Borsh, good input, my thanks.
By visual improvement, do you mean "a bit", "a good bit", "a really good improvement"?
I know that you mentioned keeping the same settings. If you drop the PD, e.g. to 1, does that still result in better visuals than the CV1, and also solve the frame rate issue?

Ref the audio, I was thinking of using a pair of headphones over the top on a temporary basis. How easy do you think that would be?

I have read of some using some clip on headphones, that are being sold for the PSVR and apparently fit, with some "mixed" comments on their quality. This looks like something that adopters should be sharing experiences on.

Soldato
No bass, no texture, no detail. Robo Recall and Eleven:Table tennis sound perfectly passable, but engines in Assetto, DCS, IL2 - bluergh... Tinny, thin, lacking lots of detail on drive shaft whines and so on.

BTW,
IL2 is really good with the S - no fps drop compared to CV1 and significantly clearer. Most of my VR time is spent in DCS though :(

Soldato
Borsh, good input, my thanks.
By visual improvement, do you mean "a bit", "a good bit", "a really good improvement"?
I would say something between a "a bit"and "a good bit" - depending on the scene and what's in view. HP Reverb (and RTX SUperTitan 4080ti to drive it) remains on my want list
I know that you mentioned keeping the same settings. If you drop the PD, e.g. to 1, does that still result in better visuals than the CV1, and also solve the frame rate issue?
I did not touch the PD settings or any settings in the VR section of DCS options ever, those where always at default -CV1 or S. So set to 1 I believe. I meant I kept the same graphics settings as in visibility distance, texture, MSA and so on.

One note is that sharper landscape looks less doughy - if that's the word I'm looking for :), more texture-like. Nevada looks better imo when rendered in a doughy way on CV1. But airplane bodies undoubtedly look better without the doughiness.

Ref the audio, I was thinking of using a pair of headphones over the top on a temporary basis. How easy do you think that would be?
Rift S headband is quite chunky so headphones headband would need to be long enough to reach around it. Or you could wear them upside down of course. But, yes, headphones are a must upgrade imo.

Associate
IL2 is really good with the S - no fps drop compared to CV1 and significantly clearer. Most of my VR time is spent in DCS though :(

Do you still have to navigate the IL2 menus with keyboard and mouse? I refunded it last time I bought it as it was annoying not being able to use the HOTAS in the menus and various other issues.

Soldato
Do you still have to navigate the IL2 menus with keyboard and mouse? I refunded it last time I bought it as it was annoying not being able to use the HOTAS in the menus and various other issues.
You do, although it's the same everywhere I thought - IL2, DCS, Assetto Corsa, Rfactor2, even War thunder I believe...

But this reminds me of a superb (imo) little feature of the Rift S - the nose rubber flap is detachable and we can continue to use keyboard\mouse if we squint through the nose nose gap - just like on the CV1.

Associate
You do, although it's the same everywhere I thought - IL2, DCS, Assetto Corsa, Rfactor2, even War thunder I believe...

I guess I'll buy IL2 again and give it a try, my Rift S should be arriving in an hour. I play a lot of Warthunder, I'm hoping the improved clarity of the Rift S makes aiming at a distance easier.

Associate
cant belive how easy set up is! even psvr is pretty simple this was just a joke 2 cables and done? crazy. powered it on but cant play until tonight:( but atleast im only working 2 days this week :D:D

Associate
I've just managed to secure one at a high Street shop. I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading the Cv1 though. Would you bother?

I really wanted an index but it's taking ages for the order

Back
Top Bottom