Mindless youth of today

Soldato
Nope, have to disagree. I work in a university and see first hand the dependency that youngsters have on their phones. The ability to think and retain information has lessened due to over-reliance on phones for everything. Even had a student say to me "why do I need to know how long to boil an egg for when I can just google it" her words....

ok not everyone eats eggs (long story but was a conversation I had with her and 2 friends) but the fact a simple task that you'd remember as a basic life skill, was relegated to "I'll just use google" God help them if they have no phone nor internet, they'd starve :p

Mobile phones have helped us yes, but they also are a hinderance for social development in todays youth.

Parenting has a large say yes, but these kids are "grown up" and so reliant on their phones for social interaction that it's out of parents hands.

I don't think it's a problem with mobiles phones, its today's culture, especially in the western world.

"We don't care how you get the answer but we want the answer NOW and we wanted it YESTERDAY!"

That's the reason why there is no effort or reason to retain information anymore. Everyone wants everything now, not tomorrow so a quick Google search and job done.

When I was at school, we didn't have calculators for maths exams now they allow them. So you can get the right answer ASAP.

Permabanned
I don't think it's a problem with mobiles phones, its today's culture, especially in the western world.

"We don't care how you get the answer but we want the answer NOW and we wanted it YESTERDAY!"

That's the reason why there is no effort or reason to retain information anymore. Everyone wants everything now, not tomorrow so a quick Google search and job done.

When I was at school, we didn't have calculators for maths exams now they allow them. So you can get the right answer ASAP.
My kid just sat his national fives and what your're saying is simply not true. He's had to study like mad to retain information and knowledge for his exams. As for maths, there's an exam using calculators and one without. It's not about using a calculator to get easy answers either, it's about using the calculator to prove you have an understanding of the theory and method, not a simple kids use calculators now it's all too easy, blah blah smoke a pipe eat a mint imperial and reminiscing about rations in the war. Nothing instant about it. Let's all just **** off today's youth because some vandals vandalised.

Soldato
Not documentary, purely subjective. 5yrs working in a school here, carries no more weight than anyone else's opinion.
Also have experience of detached youth work, dealing directly with social misbehaving and providing alternatives to kids getting into trouble. Still carries no more weight than an opinion.

Nothing subjective about witnessing kids explode with rage, and kick, punch walls/windows as hard as they can while screaming abuse so hard that their voices go hoarse, all while female teacher cowers in fright.

Permabanned
Nothing subjective about witnessing kids explode with rage, and kick, punch walls/windows as hard as they can while screaming abuse so hard that their voices go hoarse, all while female teacher cowers in fright.

It is subjective because you're blaming it on the parents with nothing to back it up

As for injecting the female teacher in there, play the sympathy sexist card why don't you...

Soldato
Who is to blame then? For these kids arriving to school, semi feral?

The female teacher incident was true and also happens to male teachers as well. But if I was fairly small female teacher under 10 stone, I wouldn't fancy trying to calm a 6 foot odd raging lad, who is punching walls harder than a boxing bag.

Soldato
There seems to be a lot of young parents who struggle to look after and train their dog properly, let alone a kid. Like the people next door to me. Dog barks, kid screams, parents have no idea how to deal with it.

Permabanned
Who is to blame then? For these kids arriving to school, semi feral?

The female teacher incident was true and also happens to male teachers as well. But if I was fairly small female teacher under 10 stone, I wouldn't fancy trying to calm a 6 foot odd raging lad, who is punching walls harder than a boxing bag.
I don't know who is to blame but I'm not making definitive subjective remarks on it guised as objective fact. I already made a thread about how my parents did everything in their power to fix me and I just didn't give a toss. It's not always bad parenting. It certainly wasn't nurture in my case.

Associate
There's a lot of opinions that technology causing issues, or parenting and lack of discipline.

Perhaps like the anti vax movement, correlation does not mean causation?

Technology can help organise youths committing criminal offences, it can promote false media that may entice violence in certain groups.

However the perception that there is an increasing frequency of violent and reckless acts, may simply be being able to now record and share these incidents world wide?

Soldato

What's the point in memorising stuff when the world is connected? We have all these tools, why would we carry on doing things like it's the middle ages? We're not Amish.

Soldato
The title of this thread should probably be "Mindless youth" - It's not like it's any worse than it has been in the past - It's just this time around there's 100,000 media groups ready to post about it.

Terrible thing to do though - People can be mean

Permabanned
What's the point in memorising stuff when the world is connected? We have all these tools, why would we carry on doing things like it's the middle ages? We're not Amish.
Dementia.
There's a case fur using calculators and such, the example of that guy saying earlier that he didn't use them at school is just silly, we use technology and it's only sensible to incorporate it into schooling when it is useful.
As fur not memorising anything and using technology too much....no. if you don't use your grey matter you lose it, just like all the other members muscles in your body. Not using our recall memory at all is a dementia time bomb.

Associate
Dementia.
There's a case fur using calculators and such, the example of that guy saying earlier that he didn't use them at school is just silly, we use technology and it's only sensible to incorporate it into schooling when it is useful.
As fur not memorising anything and using technology too much....no. if you don't use your grey matter you lose it, just like all the other members muscles in your body. Not using our recall memory at all is a dementia time bomb.

Using technology doesn't impact what you remember, it's just a different form of media. And as you said would be silly to not use it as limiting yourself is never a good way to succeed.

Memory is more likely to be impacted through stress, medication, vitamin deficiencies like thiamine and especially lack of sleep.

Safe use of technology and encouraging putting the little ***** to bed might be a good way to go forward :p

Soldato
The title of this thread should probably be "Mindless youth" - It's not like it's any worse than it has been in the past - It's just this time around there's 100,000 media groups ready to post about it.

Kids will be kids. But I think these days there is no deterant punishment. If someone did that back in the 90s and before, they would be looked down upon even by their peers as being mugs or loser idiots. These days there isn't even much peer pressure going against bad behaviour as other kids keep themselves to themselves.

If I was a kid today I feel I could get away with a lot more trouble without repercussions than I could in the 90s. Because nobody really gives a damn if a kid smashes anything up. The bigger picture is they don't appreciate what is around them. I sometimes think this is a natural cycle and if we had another world war, or at least some national event effecting everyone then people, including these youth, would appreciate their surroundings and their lives more than they do today.

Soldato

You sound like me in class in the 90s lol. When I said that the teacher said "what would you do if you want to calculate something but there isn't a calculator or computer around?".

Back
Top Bottom