Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
Yup, that's me. In years to come, I shall look back and fondly remember the earlier seasons , though the later seasons will fade from memory. The Hardhome episode will stick in my mind indefinitely as my favourite I think.

The Hardhome episode is one of my favourite episodes of TV ever, amazing. Enjoyed watching it again afterwards, but that first time was just incredible.

Caporegime
I'm in the minority of 'enjoyed it'.

Helps that I didn't have high expectations, there was no way it was going to be some amazing ending, things never manage to live up to everyone's individual tastes. It was better than anticipated, got closure for things, and reminded me that I preferred it when the show was about conversations and a bit of humour, over battles and action.

Not as good as Breaking Bad, but not as bad as Dexter/Lost/Heroes in terms of ending, and still better than the majority of TV out there.

#casualGOTfanfolife

Caporegime
Not as good as Breaking Bad, but not as bad as Dexter/Lost/Heroes in terms of ending, and still better than the majority of TV out there.

I don't know...Have you watched Killing Eve?

I think the problem people are having with GOT is that it didn't insult its audiences...There where complex multi narratives going on...we had joffrey's wedding etc and some really good character development.

Then it turned into scooby do....

Even the actors who played the key roles thought the ending was crap....

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Hopefully i can enjoy the books now and get the proper ending.

Books 1-4 (5 if you're counting a Storm of Swords as two books) are great, the two books after just a chore to read, not enjoyable at all - just a slog really, so much that I haven't finished them. I reckon the last book will be the same.

I'm hoping that GoT has opened up the way for other Dark Age/Medieval book>TV conversions. Last Kingdom is pretty good but I'm hoping the option on Bernard Cornwells' Arthur series get acted on - that'd make a great TV show.

Soldato
Wasnt impressed by the last episode. Dont think Dany should have been stabbed in cold blood by Jon, comletely out of character for him to do a murder like that, outside of battle.

I disagree. I think it was totally within his character to 'do the right thing' that would save thousands including his 'sisters'.

Also, how did anyone know it was him, Drogon took off with the body and no one was around.

Again, because he probably admitted it, as this was within his character. I feel like you don't know Jon very well?

Soldato
The more i think about it the worse it becomes.
the problem is a lot of the characters didn't make sense - why was jon all pathetic all of a sudden? In the past he wouldn't have stood by while innocent people were being killed - its completely different to his character arc.
Why didn't greyworm kill jon as soon as he found out about dany? What where the rest of the unsullied and dothraki doing - would they just respond by doing nothing?!
Why would the north not try and release jon at any cost - he is their king and a king killing an invading queen is hardly news.
Why would all those fighting fractions decide Bran should be the king - they barely know him and he hasn't really done anything.
Why make bron keeper of the coin - hardly trustworthy. And why make davos in charge of the boats - would the iron islands not want that position? Dorne and the rest of them get nothing from what happened.

Where is the politics and character consistency.
Sure it wasn't completely awful but it was more like badly written fan fiction than what the earlier seasons were like.

Soldato
Gendry was a still *******. He was only reinstated to a full Baratheon by Danny (not really much once she lost all her allies). Plus does Gendry really strike you as the person that wanted to be king? I mean, I voted that Gendry would be on the throne at the end in this thread, but I’m not disappointed that he wasn’t.

I was hoping for a peasant-to-lord type story or ending for Gendry since we see it throughout history and I think it would've been a decent ending for Sansa if she married him, since she wanted to marry a lord in the first episode. Plus you could link Arya's prophecy as a jealousy thing if the romance was developed a bit more ("green eyed monster") but it was all guesswork/hope for the final season. Happy enough with his ending but also surprised the other lords let him keep his title.

Permabanned
The more i think about it the worse it becomes.
the problem is a lot of the characters didn't make sense - why was jon all pathetic all of a sudden? In the past he wouldn't have stood by while innocent people were being killed - its completely different to his character arc.
Why didn't greyworm kill jon as soon as he found out about dany? What where the rest of the unsullied and dothraki doing - would they just respond by doing nothing?!
Why would the north not try and release jon at any cost - he is their king and a king killing an invading queen is hardly news.
Why would all those fighting fractions decide Bran should be the king - they barely know him and he hasn't really done anything.
Why make bron keeper of the coin - hardly trustworthy. And why make davos in charge of the boats - would the iron islands not want that position? Dorne and the rest of them get nothing from what happened.

Where is the politics and character consistency.
Sure it wasn't completely awful but it was more like badly written fan fiction than what the earlier seasons were like.

Jon loved Dany, is there any wonder he was a bit pathetic.
Greyworm is conflicted really, he is generally a good person, just consumed by rage a bit lately.
They did try and get him out but a small Unsullied army had a say in it.
Bran, didn't really get explained that well really, one of things that a short season has created.
Comedy effect.

Permabanned
Books 1-4 (5 if you're counting a Storm of Swords as two books) are great, the two books after just a chore to read, not enjoyable at all - just a slog really, so much that I haven't finished them. I reckon the last book will be the same.

I'm hoping that GoT has opened up the way for other Dark Age/Medieval book>TV conversions. Last Kingdom is pretty good but I'm hoping the option on Bernard Cornwells' Arthur series get acted on - that'd make a great TV show.

Dance and Crows are by far my favourites, though I will always have a soft spot for the first one. All the weird plotting and interesting new characters. Appreciate I'm in the minority there, of course.

Caporegime
This short season thing I think it has a reason…big one.

The writers have no clue how to fill 10 episodes to bring it to conclusion without the books. It is clear that they were given an ending by Martin and then they went….now what.

Okay….we got to take care of the Night King…and we got to take care of Cersie….we got to kill of Dany…...we got to give Bran the throne.

Right….how do we get there? No fracking clue….let’s not give Bran much character development at all for a few years and have him said “surprise!” In the end.

They had no material in their head to fill 4 more episodes of character development, they have no imagination to do 4 episodes of dialogue. Any non-action scenes that was left over felt like time wasted. Sure the chatting round the fire drinking wine was fun but on the grand scheme of things, just padding. In the end it didn’t feel like they rushed it because they only had 6 episodes to do the finale in, in the end it feels like they ran out of ideas and struggled to fill 6 episodes and could have done it in 3.

Caporegime
Fantasy is difficult to do well, you just end up with internet nerds raging because it doesnt match their personal imagined vision. :p

Yeah, everyone reacts to all fantasy series the same as this... oh wait, nope. I mean, LOTR ending is actually a bit, meh, overly long and a bit woo, everyone is great, but it's still great. Most books I read, or tv I've watched has done okay. Sometimes they go a way I wouldn't prefer, there are always characters people hate to see succeed, fail, die or whatever. But people loved Robb, and he got absolutely destroyed, and everyone around him, and people were surprised but it fit.

There is a huge difference between things turning out unexpectedly and just being utterly utterly stupid and literally the show writers have said straight to our faces, the fans expected certain things so we changed them for that reason alone, not for good writing but if people predicted things that's bad (even if correct and make perfect sense, planned for 5 books) so we changed it completely.

There are loads of books/series in which the guy I wanted to 'win' died, or the bad guy gets away with it, or manages to live, but there are very few books and literally no good books I've read where in the last two chapters everything from the rest of the book was thrown out just to be unpredictable.

Lets assume that GRRM meant to put Jon on the throne, then there are million ways to get there, just because fans figured that out, because it felt right, doesn't mean it's predictable. But then they rewrote the series essentially to have someone else 'win', and in fact in doing so they broke it completely. Bran now controls a throne, with no army, in which one of the kingdoms broke away with zero consequences, so the rest of the kingdoms can look after their own, after years of war and heavy taxation, heavy losses in supplying the iron throne with support or Robb, or Jon, etc, or give Kings Landing shedloads of cash to rebuild which will take decades and is a disaster zone. In other words the guy who won the game of thrones, was also written into a position where every kingdom will break away in days, and maybe Dorne or someone else will say, everyone is ripe for conquering right now, it's just plainly stupid. Sansa breaking away to become a queen, having never led, having never led any men into battle, having never made a good decision in her life and destroying the 7 kingdoms with her decision to split away... is suddenly a beloved queen?

It's just a joke.

Permabanned
Yeah, everyone reacts to all fantasy series the same as this... oh wait, nope. I mean, LOTR ending is actually a bit, meh, overly long and a bit woo, everyone is great, but it's still great. Most books I read, or tv I've watched has done okay. Sometimes they go a way I wouldn't prefer, there are always characters people hate to see succeed, fail, die or whatever. But people loved Robb, and he got absolutely destroyed, and everyone around him, and people were surprised but it fit.

There is a huge difference between things turning out unexpectedly and just being utterly utterly stupid and literally the show writers have said straight to our faces, the fans expected certain things so we changed them for that reason alone, not for good writing but if people predicted things that's bad (even if correct and make perfect sense, planned for 5 books) so we changed it completely.

There are loads of books/series in which the guy I wanted to 'win' died, or the bad guy gets away with it, or manages to live, but there are very few books and literally no good books I've read where in the last two chapters everything from the rest of the book was thrown out just to be unpredictable.

Lets assume that GRRM meant to put Jon on the throne, then there are million ways to get there, just because fans figured that out, because it felt right, doesn't mean it's predictable. But then they rewrote the series essentially to have someone else 'win', and in fact in doing so they broke it completely. Bran now controls a throne, with no army, in which one of the kingdoms broke away with zero consequences, so the rest of the kingdoms can look after their own, after years of war and heavy taxation, heavy losses in supplying the iron throne with support or Robb, or Jon, etc, or give Kings Landing shedloads of cash to rebuild which will take decades and is a disaster zone. In other words the guy who won the game of thrones, was also written into a position where every kingdom will break away in days, and maybe Dorne or someone else will say, everyone is ripe for conquering right now, it's just plainly stupid. Sansa breaking away to become a queen, having never led, having never led any men into battle, having never made a good decision in her life and destroying the 7 kingdoms with her decision to split away... is suddenly a beloved queen?

It's just a joke.

Just going to agree to disagree, you seem too consumed by rage. imo none of that happened. :)

Caporegime
This short season thing I think it has a reason…big one.

The writers have no clue how to fill 10 episodes to bring it to conclusion without the books. It is clear that they were given an ending by Martin and then they went….now what.

Okay….we got to take care of the Night King…and we got to take care of Cersie….we got to kill of Dany…...we got to give Bran the throne.

Right….how do we get there? No fracking clue….let’s not give Bran much character development at all for a few years and have him said “surprise!” In the end.

They had no material in their head to fill 4 more episodes of character development, they have no imagination to do 4 episodes of dialogue. Any non-action scenes that was left over felt like time wasted. Sure the chatting round the fire drinking wine was fun but on the grand scheme of things, just padding. In the end it didn’t feel like they rushed it because they only had 6 episodes to do the finale in, in the end it feels like they ran out of ideas and struggled to fill 6 episodes and could have done it in 3.
did they even try to think of ideas, it's like they got the worst writers possible that had never watched the other series of the show or read the books.

they just gave them some bullet points of what needed to happen, didn't brief them on the personalities or traits of characters or explain their motives.
then Dumb and Dumber disappeared to work on star wars stuff and left them to it.

If I was one of the main characters I would have refused to do this crap and complained to HBO that season 8 was going to be a big steaming turd if it goes down like this, most of them have enough money they won't need to work again and how many big tv series actors actually managed an acting career after anyway that was worth a poop?

seems no one on the internets is exactly satisfied by this, bet HBO lost loads of subscriptions already, most people probably aren't looking forward to the prequels anymore, wouldn't surprise me if the just get canned

Soldato
It's just a joke.

What I think this has become is just the normal standard of writing I expect from many big US TV shows. Stuff makes no sense, little to no research has been done, characters act in stupid ways just to hit plot points. The writers know they have an audience that will watch regardless, and they are writing to a formula that is what the audience feels comfortable with. Instead of a character acting in a sensible, consistent way, they go off on a tangent just so the writers can do what they want with the story. The characters do things that you know makes no sense in real life, but without that stupidity, unrealistic plot lines don't work.

It's just lazyness and incompetence on the part of writers who have been told to get the job done no matter what, to find excuses for forced danger and excitement in the plot, to find a way to force in some visual effects driven scene, because the producers think that the audience care more about "shiny, shiny" than character or plot development.

Soldato
How do we rate it overall though, in the context of season 8?
Its Dexter levels of bad. IE. Everyone remembers the good Dexter seasons but damn its hella tainted by the trash that followed.
The same applies to GOT imo, it just stings more because its clear it could have been absolutely epic and it seems everyone but the writers were trying to make it so.

Fantasy is difficult to do well, you just end up with internet nerds raging because it doesnt match their personal imagined vision. :p
Laughable copout. No excuse for appalling writing, no excuse for making a mess of it just because D&D wanted out.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just going to agree to disagree, you seem too consumed by rage. imo none of that happened. :)

In your opinion none of what happened? both GRRM said himself in an interview gave an analogy about the series in which all foreshadowing, all secret ideas, all the plot was converging on the idea that the butler did it, then later on they decide meh, the chambermaid did it... except it breaks all that previous planning, all the character building, all the storywork.

Second, the idiot writers themselves in their mix of "give us attention because of this show" and "let me explain the stupid decisions we made so some of it almost makes sense... but we just sound even more stupid" post episode making off clips, they themselves constantly talked about subverting expectations being great, and if the fans wanted it to happen, then we changed it to something else.

Back
Top Bottom