• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
If she mentions that the 16/32 part will be as fast as the 12/24 then I will wait. If not, I'll get the 12/24 (assuming its the "fastest").
If they don't confirm a 16c/32t at the same time as everything else, they won't give clock speeds for it for the exact reason you've just given: if the 16c is fastest then people won't buy the 12c and just wait. That's lost sales.

Personally if I were AMD I'd bang out a 16c/32t R9 anyway just to rub it in Intel's face. Intel don't have anything to counter the 12c SKUs, so to me there's not logic in "holding back" a 16c R9 just in case; release one at the same time as the others or don't release one at all.

Soldato
hopefully we get confirmed prices of each cpu. actual speed and ipc boost.
AMD can't "confirm" the IPC boost and even if they did I wouldn't believe them. That's something that independent testers will verify, for a range of different tasks. I expect prices, cores, and clock speeds but sadly no availability yet.

Soldato
If they don't confirm a 16c/32t at the same time as everything else, they won't give clock speeds for it for the exact reason you've just given: if the 16c is fastest then people won't buy the 12c and just wait. That's lost sales.

Personally if I were AMD I'd bang out a 16c/32t R9 anyway just to rub it in Intel's face. Intel don't have anything to counter the 12c SKUs, so to me there's not logic in "holding back" a 16c R9 just in case; release one at the same time as the others or don't release one at all.

AMD are still playing catchup though, every time they have released a new chip, Intel have had something waiting to bang out very shortly afterwards.

Would be amazing for AMD to release the 12c chips and wait for Intel to answer with "something" (probably the 10c chip that has been mentioned)
Then AMD immediately release there 16c chip.

Soldato
AMD are still playing catchup though, every time they have released a new chip, Intel have had something waiting to bang out very shortly afterwards.

Just not true. Not at all.

Ryzen released 8/16 consumer BEFORE Intel. Intel had to play catchup with the 9700k/9900k.
Intel are the ones playing catch-up. They have been for a few years now.

Soldato
How come? Do you have inside knowledge? Leaks have certainly suggested it’s possible not that I think clock speed is the most important thing
Just every single thing I've read would suggest that 5Ghz is simply not possible. And no one has seen anything to suggest it is likely. All the "experts" have said you wont see 5Ghz. Stop expecting it to be.
I'm guessing 4.3-4.6 Ghz boost with IPC increase.

Soldato
Just not true. Not at all.

Ryzen released 8/16 consumer BEFORE Intel. Intel had to play catchup with the 9700k/9900k.
Intel are the ones playing catch-up. They have been for a few years now.

I know what you mean but Intel still hold the crown for single core performance, and as the entire industry hasn't really had to code for anything beyond 4c/8T (until Ryzen was launched) Intel were still regarded as the best chips by many.

8700K came out very shortly after Ryzen 1xxx
9700/9900K came out very soon after Ryzen 2xxx

I'm just saying imagine Ryzen 3xxx launching quickly followed by Intel 10xxx ? series
Then AMD immediately answering with a 16c/32T chip.

Soldato
I know what you mean but Intel still hold the crown for single core performance, and as the entire industry hasn't really had to code for anything beyond 4c/8T (until Ryzen was launched) Intel were still regarded as the best chips by many.

8700K came out very shortly after Ryzen 1xxx
9700/9900K came out very soon after Ryzen 2xxx

I'm just saying imagine Ryzen 3xxx launching quickly followed by Intel 10xxx ? series
Then AMD immediately answering with a 16c/32T chip.

technically they still don't need to, look at Steam Hardware and 2 cores 4 threads, 4c/4t dominate by a huge margin! also 90% of games within the library don't run 4 cores well

but... ryzen 3000 just needs to get its speed up and internal tweaks and should be a 1080p powerhouse for cheaper hopefully

Im personally hoping 8 core ryzen smashes it out the part as the best gaming performance ... 12 and 16 cores are 90% useless to total gaming base currently - but least its giving intel a nice kicking :D

Soldato
technically they still don't need to, look at Steam Hardware and 2 cores 4 threads, 4c/4t dominate by a huge margin! also 90% of games within the library don't run 4 cores well

but... ryzen 3000 just needs to get its speed up and internal tweaks and should be a 1080p powerhouse for cheaper hopefully

Im personally hoping 8 core ryzen smashes it out the part as the best gaming performance ... 12 and 16 cores are 90% useless to total gaming base currently - but least its giving intel a nice kicking :D
Its not surprising that most people are still on 2c/4c because most people don't have the money to be constantly upgrading their hardware, Ryzen (and subsequently 8700k/9700k) have only been released over the last 2 years. it takes a while for technology to seed itself, and until it is commonplace devs don't need to change anything.
I imagine that will start to change now though. Lets have this conversation in 5 years time and see how things are different.

Associate
Just every single thing I've read would suggest that 5Ghz is simply not possible. And no one has seen anything to suggest it is likely. All the "experts" have said you wont see 5Ghz. Stop expecting it to be.
I'm guessing 4.3-4.6 Ghz boost with IPC increase.
Ah ok, no worries. I think AdoredTv were quoting 5Ghz but it’s sll speculation. Personally I don’t care to much about clock speed and think IPC is we’re its at. For me click speed is just about the willy waving

Caporegime
5ghz was touted by many your not crazy. i think we more likely going to be at 4.5 tops. which is what im hoping for and intel ipc caught up. if its not im not interested as years old intel will just still be as quick so no point in upgrading.

Associate
I've stuck with this thread pretty consistently lately but what's the rumoured launch dates if any? I know we're expecting info next week but I've seen hazy Q3 launch mentioned elsewhere which has me worried.

As the bored owner of a newly kaput x99 system I'm holding off for now, hopefully for a few weeks rather than 3 months!

Soldato
5ghz was touted by many your not crazy. i think we more likely going to be at 4.5 tops. which is what im hoping for and intel ipc caught up. if its not im not interested as years old intel will just still be as quick so no point in upgrading.

I think 5Ghz MAY be possible on good cooling manually overclocking it, but yeah I would say 4.7 will be the max out of the box. 4.7 on 12 cores with the rumoured 15% IPC increase would be a huge step up for me though on a 3.8Ghz Ryzen 1700 so I am very in if they can hit those numbers.

Back
Top Bottom