Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
I disagree. I think it was totally within his character to 'do the right thing' that would save thousands including his 'sisters'.

Its pretty clear to me that Dany wasnt going to do any more mass genocide. Tyrion convinced Jon she was.

Again, because he probably admitted it, as this was within his character. I feel like you don't know Jon very well?

Sure we have to assume that. Would have been better in my opinion to have greyworm witness it, go in to kill Jon but be blocked by the appearance of Drogon who melts the throne, then by the time that has happened others have appeared and greyworm simply arrests Jon. There could have been some good dialogue exchange in that too, including the reveal in front of everyone that Jon was the true heir, which could have been what stopped greyworm finishing him.

Soldato
I lost interest in this really so wasn't too bothered about it. Regardless of whether your ok with how it wrapped up, surely you can see it's actually just poor TV? Pacing all over the place, poor writing and things happening that directly contradict episodes before.

Associate
What on earth were they thinking. Lazy writing which could have been so much more. The prophecy, plot points all flushed down the drain. It's a tragedy.
It just felt rushed, no explanation of the old gods, the god of light, the prophecy the pretty dire knight king so many more things needed explaining.

Prophecy was fulfilled. Azhor Ahai, reborn and had to kill his love to save the world. This time from fire, not ice.

So are we to take it that Jon has gone to live with the Wildlings North of the Wall? If that's the case it's not really much of a punishment, just a banishment of sorts.

This passed me by on first watch. Just like Jon I was surprised there's a Nights Watch. I don't think there is and it's a ploy by Sansa/Bran to allow Jon to go where he now feels is home. North of the Wall.

The dialogue in the last episode was laughable...In fact it felt more like a comedy tbh...
I wish I was in the place of the people who thought it was OK
Life under your eyes on a daily basis must be Bliss :p
Utter Rubbish form start to finish...

What was so funny? Some of it was actually quite clever. For instance a friend raging at Bran having the moniker the broken. Point out it comes from Tyrion and what does he say about insults? Wear them like armour, own them and they can't be used to hurt you.
Also loved Tyrions last throw of the dice to convince Jon of what needed doing. Mentioned his sisters.
Exactly what snared Ned...

The longer you think about it the less sense it all makes on any level...
"Hey Jon, you killed my mother, i'm so angry, so angry, I'm going to passive-aggressively burn this here random furniture. Roaaar." What?!
He's fond of Jon, albeit ****** but can't bring himself to kill him - who knows how a Dragon thinks or it's reasoning?

"Hey Jon, you killed our queen, we normally just finish off hostages on the spot, on the street, but we are going to put you under arrest, so our other prisoner and his friends can decide your fate and then we are going to forget about you." What?!
We have no idea how that played out.

"Hey Jon, you kill Khalisi, we pillage, we kill, we angry, Dorthraki memory short, two weeks, we pass you on the street, we remember nothing, bye". What?!
"Hey Jon, you killed that crazy usurper that wanted to burn the whole world, you are also our leader, the only right heir to the throne. We had a chat and we want to strip you from your honours and titles and send you to Siberia for the rest of your life." What?!
Iron Islands, Dorne and Unsullised wouldn't have settled for anything less.

"Hey Jon, this is your family, remember that chat we had about your lineage to the throne? Well, thanks for being our King of The North, Sansa is now the Queen, Bran is The King, goodluck behind the wall honey, wear a hoodie and stay warm" What?!
See above, civil war. He never wanted the Throne before. What about Jons character do you think would mean he'd accept it now even if it meant probably civil war and after he killed the woman he loved? Now THAT would be out of character.

"Hey Jon, this is Lord of The Light, I resurrected you for purpose, you may recall. The purpose was so you can continue to know nothing and be completely useless. Lol." What?!
He saved the world from fire, the last time the promised one saved it from ice. Both had to kill their loves to do it. Pay some attention.

Who writes these things?
We had so many crazy fan fiction scenarios in comparison, you know - Bran time travelling and sending Mad King into madness with whispers, Bran time travelling and warging into someone turned by Night King and becoming trapped in a loop of trying to kill his future self as white walker general so he can't travel back and give Night King knowledge of the future, etc, etc - and all those scenarios would work our better than what we got from these... I don't even know how to describe them - it's like primary school level of story telling there...

Some answers in bold.

Wasnt impressed by the last episode. Dont think Dany should have been stabbed in cold blood by Jon, comletely out of character for him to do a murder like that, outside of battle.

Also, how did anyone know it was him, Drogon took off with the body and no one was around. We didnt see the assumed confession, too hard to write?

Crap king named in the end.

It's Jon. The boy can't lie to quite literally save his own life.

Its pretty clear to me that Dany wasnt going to do any more mass genocide. Tyrion convinced Jon she was.

I think it's fairly obvious to create her paradise she was gonna torch the world.

Last edited:
Soldato

You watched ep8, right? The bit where she announced to the armies 'We've freed Kings Landing, it's not over though, we need to free Winterfell and {all those other places}' Clearly she wasn't done. She literally said she wasn't done.

Sure we have to assume that. Would have been better in my opinion to have greyworm witness it, go in to kill Jon but be blocked by the appearance of Drogon who melts the throne, then by the time that has happened others have appeared and greyworm simply arrests Jon. There could have been some good dialogue exchange in that too.

In your opinion. Not in mine. That's fine, we agree to disagree.

Soldato
You watched ep8, right? The bit where she announced to the armies 'We've freed Kings Landing, it's not over though, we need to free Winterfell and {all those other places}' Clearly she wasn't done. She literally said she wasn't done.

In your opinion. Not in mine. That's fine, we agree to disagree.

She wasnt done but that doesnt mean mass killing and destruction. The Kings Landing event was fueled by Cersi anger.

Of course its all opinion this is a discussion board!

Man of Honour
I was hoping for a peasant-to-lord type story or ending for Gendry since we see it throughout history and I think it would've been a decent ending for Sansa if she married him, since she wanted to marry a lord in the first episode. Plus you could link Arya's prophecy as a jealousy thing if the romance was developed a bit more ("green eyed monster") but it was all guesswork/hope for the final season. Happy enough with his ending but also surprised the other lords let him keep his title.
That’s exactly what I was hoping for. I really liked Gendry!

Associate
Fantasy is difficult to do well, you just end up with internet nerds raging because it doesnt match their personal imagined vision. :p

I don't why this "you just think it sucks because it doesn't match your headcanon" became the go to defence for franchises turning to excrement lately but no, my problems with this season are nothing to do with it not matching what I thought was going to happen.

Hell Lucifier just finished up it's season on Netflix, not one thing went down the path I thought it was going it yet it was great.

Permabanned
I don't why this "you just think it sucks because it doesn't match your headcanon" became the go to defence for franchises turning to excrement lately but no, my problems with this season are nothing to do with it not matching what I thought was going to happen.

Hell Lucifier just finished up it's season on Netflix, not one thing went down the path I thought it was going it yet it was great.

Ah well, I have only watched 6 of the current Lucifer and think it's sub par compared to the other seasons....so far.:p

Associate
I enjoyed it, I much preferred this season to season 7 - the plot armour and fast travel in season 7 set such a low bar that I think this was above expectations.

In my opinion there were 3.5 great episodes, 1.5 average ones and 1 pretty bad one. A lot of questions went unanswered (Night King in particular) but I guess they'll be explained in the prequel and spinoffs.

Soldato
That’s exactly what I was hoping for. I really liked Gendry!
I don't recall Gendry even appearing - what happened to him (and one of the older, from a story pov, North bannerman appearing out of nowhere after doing nothing for a series or more getting a small speech)

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Not to mention the respawn of Dothraki and Unsullied. Our army is decimated? no problem? Have some continuity for crying out loud??! Made no sense at all.

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
Did u see D&D mentioned Danni had forgotten about the Greyjoy army so thats why her 2nd dragon got killed. These explanations are laughable.

Soldato
This season just turned into a generic fantasy script when we are expecting full on GOT politics, murders and assassinations and surprises. Its almost like they just wanted rid of the thing and to put it all to bed. Soo many missed opportunities with the big characters gone. Like I said there should have been a big surprise plot twist 15 mins before the end with some clever story and even putting Bran on the throne using some special power. Not kill off Dany 15 mins in after doing the Star Wars new order scene then run down the clock just filling in peoples stories to make sure it there was no doubt that either the characters were dead or doing a happy ever after.

Missed oppotunities

Bran - no idea what his raven gifts are - just a fairly boring character
Jon - has a fully fleshed out heritage that was just ignored in the end
Dany - had about an hours worth of going full mad before being done in
Arya - they gave up on her story after episode 3

I could probably go on for each character but they went for the blandest of bland endings - I wonder if G Martin signed that off because you can bet he wont write that if he ever finished the books

Back
Top Bottom