• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Caporegime
What about Nvidia's excuses for the 2080ti RMA issues? Nvidia's budget is HUGE as well. Why give AMD such a hard time?

I don't see the relevance, this is a thread about Navi:confused:

I am not giving AMD a hard time, I am just pointing out some basic facts. Managing to offer something similar to what Nvidia offered 3 years ago at the same price point while having to use a 7nm process to get there is quite obviously going to draw complaints, unless you are a raging fanboy of course.

AMD will have to do far better than that if they ever want to see their market share increase.

Caporegime
Yes but cheaper, far cheaper than the 1080 launched for

BNut 3 years ater, so who cares. The Only relevant price point is what the current market offers. AMD will be comparing to 1660,1660TI, 2060 at the high end. Nvidia can cut prices on a whim. Pirces 3 years ago is meaningless comparison.

Caporegime
Who said anything about charity? Who said anything about excuses? You're just deflecting with irrelevant ***********. Simple fact of the matter is AMD have had a rough time for a long time and still kept plugging away and for better or worse have just about stuck in there.

You are the one making excuses, and you have just carried on again in this very post.

You are the one deflecting with these excuses. Why on earth should a consumer give a damn that AMD 's business model failed and they had to cut R&D. Consumers care about performance, price, features, power efficiency, reviews, branding, free games. they don;t care that AMD's screwed up badly with Bulldozer and hasn't bothered to be competitive in GPUs for years.

If in that quagmire of **** AMD can't pull out an Nvidia beater overnight and you consider that to be failure,
A failure is object and absolute, excuses don't cut it.

then that's your prerogative and enjoy sucking down on that leather jacket like the good little cash cow you are. I personally would prefer to engage with somebody of a more measured disposition.

Why the heck with all this childish nonsense:confused: Grow up!

Soldato
You are the one making excuses, and you have just carried on again in this very post.

You are the one deflecting with these excuses. Why on earth should a consumer give a damn that AMD 's business model failed and they had to cut R&D. Consumers care about performance, price, features, power efficiency, reviews, branding, free games. they don;t care that AMD's screwed up badly with Bulldozer and hasn't bothered to be competitive in GPUs for years.

A failure is object and absolute, excuses don't cut it.

Why the heck with all this childish nonsense:confused: Grow up!

You seem to be quite negative with regards to AMD when the fact of the matter is, they just aren't anywhere near big enough to all out compete with both Intel and Nvidia. Let alone at the same time!! So for them to produce what they produce considering this is pretty good. Maybe they never should've bought ATI? Who knows, they could've smashed Intel in the CPU arena and then bought ATI at a later date and been better off. The fact of the matter is, they are a far smaller company and the products they produce reflect this. Want to develop the very best CPU/GPU? Then you are going to have to pump the money into it or come up with something new, unique and innovative. (Ryzen for example)

I'm sure AMD know what their limits are with regards to what they can physically develop and pay for and i guess they don't match up to yours?:confused:

Soldato
BNut 3 years ater, so who cares. The Only relevant price point is what the current market offers. AMD will be comparing to 1660,1660TI, 2060 at the high end. Nvidia can cut prices on a whim. Pirces 3 years ago is meaningless comparison.

If only Navi had something else to offer other than just pure raster performance- you know, maybe like Ray Tracing or DLSS, Adaptive Shaders, Mesh Rendering etc then the proposition would be an easier sell at the rumoured price point

Soldato
TBH,we all know AMD is the underdog when it comes to GPU and they have less money to spend on R and D than Nvidia. However,when it comes to the products we buy,its not really a consideration as we are more concerned about the product we get and how its priced.

Soldato
The 3080 price makes sense only if it is faster than a 2070. £450ish for 2070 and £650ish for a 2080 leaves a gap. However AMD I'd not Nvidia so it will have to have something else compelling to sell for that price.

Personally I think it will need to be £400 and a fair bit faster than a 2070 to sell well otherwise buyers will go Nvidia instead.

I have a dilemma as I sold my 1070 as I really want to go full AMD but I won't buy a bad card for Nvidia money.

Soldato
Personally I think it will need to be £400 and a fair bit faster than a 2070 to sell well otherwise buyers will go Nvidia instead.
This is what I've been saying for a long time. Regardless of how well (or not) it's implemented and available, RTX tech is a substantial upsell. If Navi offers performance parity in traditional workloads with the equivalent RTX card then it has to offer either its own distinguishing feature or undercut the price sufficiently to question if RTX is worth the additional outlay. Pricing a Navi just a couple quid lower than the equivalent RTX without any special differentiator will just make consumers go "well, I might as well get the ray tracing if it's only a couple quid more"

Radeon VII has the 16GB VRAM as its differentiator to the RTX 2080. Both about the same performance, both about the same price, so do I want ray tracing or 16GB VRAM? Decisions decisions. But what does Navi XT have to dissuade me from spending a couple quid more on a RTX 2070? Hell, why should I bother with Navi XT if I can get ray tracing for the same price?

Soldato
Ray-tracing isn't a selling advantage, for me.
Nor for me, but the great unwashed masses don't know that. This is the mind share advantage that Nvidia have, and pricing a Navi card fractionally under the RTX equivalent isn't going to stimulate a perception swing back to AMD.

If AMD are asking $499 for that 3080 then it better have a major trump card or performs between the RTX 2070 and 2080.

Soldato
I rest my case.
I would hope that AMD would be aware of this, but you never know. I know this is not necessarily realistic, but at these prices the top model needs to be faster than a 2080TI and the lower model faster than a 2080 in pure rasterisation or they need to have 2070 and below performance at much lower prices, or both. That's what AMD need to do if they really want to be competitive (I know they are probably not in a position to do this).

Permabanned
I rest my case.
I dont play fast FPS shooters anymore and I'm happy with maxed out ultra settings @30fps as I remember playing Duke Nukem 3d at 8fps on my 486 sx and quake 1 at like 12fps. Thats Why I'm sitting on 32 inch 4k ips pro monitor not gaming one. Like when I was playing Kingdom come maxed i was spendimg loads of hours collecting mushrooms and herbs and generally enjoying nice visual aspects of the game :).
I'm too old for playing fast fps online shooters like I used to 15 years ago reflexes gone to ******* I just get depressed and annoyed how crap I'w gotten from Aging in that type of games.

Back
Top Bottom