• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Recent Intel Flaws

Associate
I had purchased a Core I7 8700k three weeks ago from a well know e retailer up north.

I was hoping that I could with all these flaws and security patches affecting performance I was in my rights to get an exchange or refund under the Customer Rights Act. But they have rejected my claim... just wondering what my possible options are.

Soldato
Until there is a consumer-wide class-action suit that directly proves Intel's security vulnerabilities render the product unfit for purpose, you'll have no chance in hell. Doubly-so if you've purchased from Scam. There is the slimmest chance you could get a chargeback if you purchased with a credit card, but that's a messy thing in itself.

Associate
OP
Normally I would just use it, but this vulnerability is just too hard to ignore knowing that AMD does not have these issues and who knows what the next flaw is going to be!

Associate
If you purchased the processor 3 weeks ago most of the security flaws had already been known for months, you should've done some research before purchasing.

Associate
If you purchased the processor 3 weeks ago most of the security flaws had already been known for months, you should've done some research before purchasing.

The flaw had been known by intel and the people who discovered it for months. It was just disclosed to public a few days ago along with the fixes. For the squeamish, turning off HT will help but will open up another exploit for 8th and 9th gen in the name of Fallout.

EDIT: Op, the flaw will mainly affect data centers, cloud, VMs and others that handle really sensitive info like heath specific data. For home users or just plain gamers, maybe turning off HT and installing recommended updates will be best route.

Soldato
The flaw had been known by intel and the people who discovered it for months. It was just disclosed to public a few days ago along with the fixes. For the squeamish, turning off HT will help but will open up another exploit for 8th and 9th gen in the name of Fallout.

EDIT: Op, the flaw will mainly affect data centers, cloud, VMs and others that handle really sensitive info like heath specific data. For home users or just plain gamers, maybe turning off HT and installing recommended updates will be best route.

THE LATEST flaw was disclosed a few days ago is what you should have said. There have been security issues with Intel CPU's going back 18 months or so, all have been widely discussed on this forum and others. If someone was stupid enough to not do the homework required before buying a cpu, then why on earth should any retailer take it back ?

Associate
OP
THE LATEST flaw was disclosed a few days ago is what you should have said. There have been security issues with Intel CPU's going back 18 months or so, all have been widely discussed on this forum and others. If someone was stupid enough to not do the homework required before buying a cpu, then why on earth should any retailer take it back ?

They should take it back because it is faulty.
Homework required to buy a CPU? So a consumer is expected to know everything about a product before buying it?? get at life mate..

Associate

I was assuming op finally got fed up and the last straw was Zombioload and the news about Ryzen 3000. :)

Op, even AMD are affected performance wise cos the updates are applied by Windows do not discriminate. It may not as much but they do degrade performance still sadly.

Soldato
Homework required to buy a CPU? So a consumer is expected to know everything about a product before buying it?? get at life mate..

YES, absolutely homework is required before buying a CPU it always has been and always will be. If you are so sensitive to security flaws in a cpu, then a quick Google on the subject before parting with any money would have given you the answer.

Associate

They can't take it back unless intel agrees to compensate the sellers. I don't see that happening without winning in court. Imagine if they accept this, then others will follow. They might go out of business.

Associate
Soldato
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=mds-zombieload-mit&num=10

Install Inspectre and you'll see you have Spectre and Meltdown fix. I'm sure with the latest Win10 update, we now have Zombieload fix as well even if it does not affect our Ryzen.

The thing is though of course even though they are installed, because we are not actually running Intel cpu's in the first place, there is no performance issues because the patches simply do not work.

Associate
The thing is though of course even though they are installed, because we are not actually running Intel cpu's in the first place, there is no performance issues because the patches simply do not work.

Not to get the thread off track much this will be my last post here.

Do you have KB4497936 update installed? If so, that's for Zombieload. Like what that link says, the hit is minor relative to intel. But still.

Back
Top Bottom