Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Treated myself to a forgeworld hellforged leviathan for my chaos army.

Lovely model but won't be getting anymore fw stuff. Resin is horrible to work with. The arms are magnetised and that was the easiest bit

What didn't you like about it? The process is definitely longer when having to clean the resin, trim and potential fill/sand/bend any parts however personally I get enjoy the modelling aspect so found it a fun challenge.

I've built a Contemptor, Leviathan, Sicaran and a couple of quad mortars and they've been fine for the most part. The Sicaran needed a bit of sanding and filling work mainly on one of the tracks due to the position of the gate that needed to be removed which I'll admit was a bit of a bugger to sort.

I've got a couple of bigger models to do yet but going to get a bit more experience with some other bits I have first before I tackle those.

FNG

FNG

Associate
My partners son is getting into Warhammer 40K and loves painting them. I would like to get him playing too and kill team looked a good option given he can use the models he already has but doesn't need to spend a fortune on a massive army. However, the starter set is no more :( What would i need to buy to start playing this? I was after something like space hulk (which i remember as as a kid) but it seems that too is no more and kill team seems the next best alternative.

Soldato
My partners son is getting into Warhammer 40K and loves painting them. I would like to get him playing too and kill team looked a good option given he can use the models he already has but doesn't need to spend a fortune on a massive army. However, the starter set is no more :( What would i need to buy to start playing this? I was after something like space hulk (which i remember as as a kid) but it seems that too is no more and kill team seems the next best alternative.

It's a rip off at the moment until they bring out another starter kit.

Probably talking;

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Wh40k-Kill-Team-Rulebook-2018-eng £25

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Killzone-Sector-Fronteris-2019-eng £50

https://www.waylandgames.co.uk/warh...A6gxcsvrDNH_-ipFjoti9OUUjClmewkxoCOqsQAvD_BwE £30

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Kill-Team-Toofrippas-Krew-EN-2019 £40

That will give you rules, scenery, two teams but staring down the barrel of nearly £150 :p

If you aren't bothered about scenery can drop the scenery kit but still best part of £100, as I said it's a blinking rip off.

Commissario
What didn't you like about it? The process is definitely longer when having to clean the resin, trim and potential fill/sand/bend any parts however personally I get enjoy the modelling aspect so found it a fun challenge.

I've built a Contemptor, Leviathan, Sicaran and a couple of quad mortars and they've been fine for the most part. The Sicaran needed a bit of sanding and filling work mainly on one of the tracks due to the position of the gate that needed to be removed which I'll admit was a bit of a bugger to sort.

I've got a couple of bigger models to do yet but going to get a bit more experience with some other bits I have first before I tackle those.
Re resin, I don't mind working with good resin myself, but pretty much every forgeworld resin kit we've ever bought has had issues (with the exception of a greater brass scorpion), ranging from my brother's great unclean one that 18 months after he finished painting it (he spent god knows how many hours and got it to a brilliant standard) he got it down to use again and found it was oozing uncured resin from where he'd pinned it to the base which had ruined the base and parts of the paint job*, other issues have included panels that were thinner than tissue paper (orc truk conversion kit), bits bent completely out of shape, with holes in them, and we just received some Warlord weapons for Adeptus Titanicus which are not cured properly and have a very thick coating of release agent on them (which apparently is likely the reason the resin hasn't cured properly). It's not just the normal nasty release agent, this is visible levels that almost feels like a slick yet tacky gel.

I love the look of much of the FW stuff, but it's really dispiriting that spmeone i know who has bought Chinese recasts seems to have fewer issues (despite paying maybe 10-20p in the pound compared to FW) :/ and small workshop producers of resin for other ranges seem to have far better QC, and it's only FW models that we've ever encountered have release agents that consistently cause problems, 5 of us (3 are very experienced with resins) still run into issues with even though we've got advice from FW over the phone, at WHWorld etc and tried methods that work with other companies resins.

In short we don't mind the inevitable sanding/filling etc, it's the bent to heck, soft/uncured resin, and release agent that won't come off that causes us problems and puts us off working with it;) (between two of my friends they've got something like 3 28mm scale titans - iirc warhound, phantom and something else, several of the resin flyers, the second largest Tau flyer, 20+ Mortalis tiles and that's just the big stuff, needless to say they've spent a lot of time on the phone to FW getting replacement parts sent out).

*It's still slowly oozing now, about 10 years after he painted it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had to reconstruct part of one of the feet as it had a tissue paper thin side as if the resin hadn't even entered the foot properly. I may be exaggerating my dislike but this was my first experience with forgeworld and I didn't find it as easy as plastic minis.

I'm currently watching the same battle report. I know Liam. Top guy.

Soldato
I'm currently watching the same battle report. I know Liam. Top guy.

Nice, yea I been watching both Winters and Liam's channels on YouTube for a good while now, live the battle reports they do, the best I've found on YouTube.

I find some of the other guys get a bit over excited, and some, frankly just annoying.

One other I found that I don't mind is tabletop assault, they are not quite as refined but I enjoy them.

Commissario
I've been making some progress on my Titans after about 6 weeks of little or no model work, working roughly to Duncan's guide (at least for the skeleton), and I'm pleasantly surprised with how fast and good it's looking so far (did the first washes in an evening), which is good as I've got about 6 weeks to get a pair of Warlords and Warhounds ready for a weekend of gaming, 6 of us are all aiming to play a bunch of Titanicus games as we all got the GME last year and wanted to try something different/faster to the normal 40k games.

Soldato
I'm very close to finishing all my Kill Team models and I'm already getting an itch to buy more stuff. I'm thinking of getting a few small AOS army's together, namely the Souls Wars set and an Ironjawz army. 500 points for each. Going to need a load of new paint as well. Fortunately my birthday is coming up...

Back
Top Bottom