Google apparently suspending some business with Huawei.

Soldato
temporary deal sorted by the look of it

its already costing US firms money

I suspect this was not a well thought out idea

I reckon they will come to some sort of arrangement

AMD,Intel and MS have been hit:
https://www.techpowerup.com/255772/...-than-microsoft-from-huawei-ban-goldman-sachs

AMD are also involved in this JV:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD–Chinese_joint_venture

So if more and more Chinese companies are added,this might not be good news and AMD also makes a console chip for Chinese company.

Last edited:
Soldato
- peanuts

https://money.cnn.com/2018/03/23/technology/china-us-trump-tariffs-ip-theft/index.html
To get an idea of how much forced technology transfer costs the US, some experts say to look at the costs associated with the theft of trade secrets. Total theft of US trade secrets accounts for anywhere from $180 billion to $540 billion per year, according to the Commission on the Theft of American Intellectual Property -- as "the world's principal IP infringer," China accounts for the most of that theft.

Soldato
Looks like there's a temporary licence granted until August for now. Covers existing devices only but at least it gives 3 months to see if some kind of solution/compromise can be reached in the future.

Cheers for the linkage. As a P30 Pro owner for around 2 weeks, I'm not quite as frantic after the last day or so compared to when this story broke late Sunday evening. Troubled times ahead potentially for Huawei owners but not quite as bad as the media portrayed it at the outset it would appear.

Associate
While that is a good development i am still not reassured going forward.
I literally had a p30 pro in my hand monday at the local vodafone shop as i had reached my upgrade and was literally just about to purchase it when i decided to pop back in a few days.....

I do like there phone, the camera especially, but.... if it is going to be restricted going forward then nope no chance.

Soldato
That's been a reaction from many people, maybe this was the move all along. Cause a little panic and doubt for many potential buyers in the future even if a compromise is then reached quickly after initial news.

Associate
Cheers for the linkage. As a P30 Pro owner for around 2 weeks, I'm not quite as frantic after the last day or so compared to when this story broke late Sunday evening. Troubled times ahead potentially for Huawei owners but not quite as bad as the media portrayed it at the outset it would appear.

The issue is depending on how it all plays out you just won't get an update to later android versions then the one you have. Not a deal breaker by any means...

Permabanned

What trouble? Is your phone going to stop working? :p

Soldato
the panic is not limited to android support it is whether they have the components to actually produce a phone tomorrow....the uk press neglected that -
but huawei had not
To be sure, Huawei is said to have stockpiled enough chips and other vital components to keep its business running for at least three months. It’s been preparing for such an eventuality since at least the middle of 2018, hoarding components while designing its own chips, people familiar with the matter said. But executives believe their company has become a bargaining chip in ongoing U.S.-Chinese trade negotiations, and that they will be able to resume buying from American suppliers if a trade deal is reached, they said.

Soldato
Prob not but access to the app store and google apps are a massive loss if they go. I would be fizzing if my nice new shiney brick turned into something i couldnt go to google maps on for instance.
I wouldn't bank on Google Pay working either, something I use a lot.

Also, the arse will drop out of the resale value of these devices so unfortunately it really doesn't make sense taking the risk. It's not just about security updates.

Back
Top Bottom