Epic Games Store now open!

Soldato
Isn't this already a thing though with resellers? Often you can pre-order games for cheaper than you can on Steam because they are discounted. That's devaluing games as well?

Resellers are a whole other issue, whether the issue is fraudulently obtained keys or reselling keys outside the geographical location of the original key or whatever mechanism involved. But yes, they do devalue games.

Soldato
Isn't this already a thing though with resellers? Often you can pre-order games for cheaper than you can on Steam because they are discounted. That's devaluing games as well?

Absolutely, yes... but resellers (at least the ones offering the really good deals) are often doing it via legally questionable methods (they didn't earn the name "grey key sites" for nothing)... I'm sure devs/publishers wish something more could be done to combat them for the same reasons as them disliking Epic's recent blunder... The fact that more isn't done could be for a number of reasons (legal loopholes, evidence that it doesn't make up a big enough proportion of sales, that the majority don't trust what they think might be "a dodgy site")... but at any rate the "official" sales point for the product should not be acting to damage the perception of the price (not without the dev/publisher's say-so)

Soldato
Resellers are a whole other issue, whether the issue is fraudulently obtained keys or reselling keys outside the geographical location of the original key or whatever mechanism involved. But yes, they do devalue games.

Well I'm not talking about CDKeys or those types of sellers, I don't support them. Even those who are authorised to sell the games like GMG often discount upcoming games.

Soldato
Or how about an Member's Market analogy? Let's say I've got a thread open selling game keys, I've got 3 keys for Devil May Cry 5 up for grabs and I'm asking for £25 for each... You go onto the thread and see that there's a message from someone on it saying "Will you do DMC5 for £20?" and me saying "Yeah okay, for you £20".... Would you then be willing to buy one of the remaining 2 keys for £25? Or would you expect to get one for £20 also? If you then found that I'd already sold the other 2 keys and then saw a different person selling DMC5 at £25 would you be tempted to say to them "£20 for DMC5? - have seen it for sale in other threads for that price"?

absolutely ..... :) but i think the case is different here because a £30 game is still a £30 game. the discount is not a discount from the game itself but is "free" credit being given from Epic. If anything it devalues ALL games everywhere because i may choose to just not buy any game at all until epic do another similar deal..... but i think that is painting too wide a brush to accuse Epic of devaluing all of gaming (and if that is the case anyway then that is true of all special offers anywhere and I certainly wont shed a tear if this epic offer encouraged valve to do a similar deal their end, because that is the beauty of competition and is exactly why I want someone competing with valve).

The biggest devaluers of games is time, wait a few months and all games come down in price (digital ones anyway) and I make use of this devaluer almost all the time now for all my games :) .

BUT if we are gonna run with your analogy for fun anyway, IF i was buying a game from you and you wanted to sell it for £25, and i only wanted to pay £20 for it, but then Gibbo stepped in and said he would kick in the extra £5, in my mind the cost of the game is STILL £25, you still get the £25 that you want for it it is just that I get it for less.
(gibbo being the figurehead i picked for being overclockers, the company supporting this forum). it is not a perfect analogy but is closer i think than members market sales.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I'm not talking about CDKeys or those types of sellers, I don't support them. Even those who are authorised to sell the games like GMG often discount upcoming games.

Typically there'll be a range of acceptable prices given by the publisher/developer/whoever. Within that range there will be scope for competitive pricing. The question is whether Epic's deal effectively ignored that.

Soldato
absolutely ..... :)
So
BUT if i was buying a game from you and you wanted to sell it for £25, and i only wanted to pay £20 for it, but then Gibbo stepped in and said he would kick in the extra £5, to me the cost of the game is STILL £25, you still get the £25 that you want for it it is just that I get it for less.
(gibbo being the figurehead i picked for being overclockers, the company supporting this forum). it is not a perfect analogy but is closer i think than members market sales.

If Gibbo announced that he would front £5 repeatedly, for anyone wanting to buy a copy of the game and he consistently did so for a week, then it would still affect people's perception of the price, and once Gibbo retracted his kind offer people would continue to expect to pay £20 from that point onwards...

Soldato

Apologies, GMG's discounts aren't ever anywhere near as good as the "grey" sites so I assumed you were talking about those. The difference between Steam + GMG usually feels like it could almost be accounted for by the % Steam would have taken for the sale through their store... and as Pudney says, an "authorised" site will be selling within whatever the publishers wishes are in terms of price... and they do that knowing that it devalues the price (on Steam) slightly

Soldato
If Gibbo announced that he would front £5 repeatedly, for anyone wanting to buy a copy of the game and he consistently did so for a week, then it would still affect people's perception of the price, and once Gibbo retracted his kind offer people would continue to expect to pay £20 from that point onwards...
I can only speak for myself, but honestly I wouldnt.... I would just kick myself for missing the offer.

There is only 1 thing for it. Gibbo needs to help us put it to the test (for the science :D ) £5 discount from all MM software sales for 1 week only to come from his pocket.

Soldato
Associate
It's weird that Epic are the newcomers and yet they're the ones being complacent. It looks like they're thinking if they throw enough money at it they don't have to put much thought into running the store.

Soldato
It's weird that Epic are the newcomers and yet they're the ones being complacent. It looks like they're thinking if they throw enough money at it they don't have to put much thought into running the store.

It's exactly what they're thinking...

Bad store... no problem just hurl massive cash bags at devs/publishers and we'll secure exclusivity to shut out steam...

Customers annoyed that the above move was anti-consumer?... no problem, split some cash bags into a ton of £10 credits and hurl those at all the users, that should shut them up...

Now some devs/publishers were upset by the above... behind closed doors I expect Epic are negotiating how they can hurl more cash bags at those devs to make up for it

It's a short-sighted and stupid strategy as the cash will run out eventually

Soldato
It's a short-sighted and stupid strategy as the cash will run out eventually

I have no idea if this is the case however it would be madness if not... but hopefully by the time their money bags run dry they will have had the time to improve the over all platform and it will by then offer a better experience.

Soldato
Epic can keep going moneyhatting for decade, Fortnite makes so much cash.
It is really impressive how amateurish they are at this.
But hopefully in couple years they will improve.

Soldato
Wow so people are now being banned for buying games in the sale thats just insane :eek:

no that is just FUD!. look I get it, people hate epic store but is there really any need to change it to make things look even worse? No one is getting banned from buying too many games, it is just that Epic Store has an over zealous flagging for suspicious activity.
Look at it this way, Epic want to sell games! it is not in their interests to stop you buying, if anything this is something to protect the users - that you be people like you - from getting shafted if your account is compromised.

having your account frozen pending contacting epic is not getting banned, just like my credit or debit card is not "Banned" when an unusual purchase activity rejects a sale pending confirmation from me.

It needs to be sorted but FFS this is getting silly now.

Last edited:
Soldato
no that is just FUD!. look I get it, people hate epic store but is there really any need to change it to make things look even worse? No one is getting banned from buying too many games, it is just that Epic Store has an over zealous flagging for suspicious activity.
Look at it this way, Epic want to sell games! it is not in their interests to stop you buying, if anything this is something to protect the users - that you be people like you - from getting shafted if your account is compromised.

having your account frozen pending contacting epic is not getting banned, just like my credit or debit card is not "Banned" when an unusual purchase activity rejects a sale pending confirmation from me.

It needs to be sorted but FFS this is getting silly now.

It's the latest meme/bandwagon hating train, something else will come along but for now everything will be jumped upon with the fervour of a rabid mob. The gaming media are fuelling it as it gets them plenty of traffic.

Soldato
It's the latest meme/bandwagon hating train, something else will come along but for now everything will be jumped upon with the fervour of a rabid mob. The gaming media are fuelling it as it gets them plenty of traffic.

How is it a meme? People got their accounts blocked for trying to make multiple purchases in quick succession, something they were forced to do if they want to buy multiple games since Epic couldn't be bothered to include a shopping cart (a feature so basic it's virtually as old as online shopping itself)...

Of course you're always going to get some people who exaggerate and go overboard on the criticism but it's not fair to write off people's legitimate problems with the state of EGS as "hurrr durr just memes" "hurrr it's just a launcher whats the big deal" "hurrrr steam cuckbois" etc.

Man of Honour
I suppose the plus that Epic can take from it would be that despite all the negativity , it shows that there are people out there still who are wanting to buy not just one game from the Epic store but multiple games. Thats a positive way for them to look at it I guess.

Soldato
How is it a meme? People got their accounts blocked for trying to make multiple purchases in quick succession, something they were forced to do if they want to buy multiple games since Epic couldn't be bothered to include a shopping cart (a feature so basic it's virtually as old as online shopping itself)...

Of course you're always going to get some people who exaggerate and go overboard on the criticism but it's not fair to write off people's legitimate problems with the state of EGS as "hurrr durr just memes" "hurrr it's just a launcher whats the big deal" "hurrrr steam cuckbois" etc.
But getting your account blocked by an over zealous security measure is a million miles from being banned. Epic store has issues but so long as people make stuff up to embellish issues it masks the actual problems.

This becoming like epic are some pantomime baddy . It really is silly

Back
Top Bottom