Mindless youth of today

Soldato
I never understood the mentality of people who say, you shouldn't rely on a certain technology because "what if it isn't around/internet goes down/etc"

People used to say I shouldn't rely on Sat-Nav because if the system goes down I won't be able to find my way.
I have been driving now for nearly 20 years and Sat Nav has literally never stopped working for me.
Don't rely on your phone because what if the internet goes down, yes that is a possibility but 99% of the time the internet is working so I can google anything I want to.

By the same logic should I walk everywhere and not rely on my car because it might breakdown one day and not be available ?

How far do we want to go with this mentality ?

Associate
I never understood the mentality of people who say, you shouldn't rely on a certain technology because "what if it isn't around/internet goes down/etc"

People used to say I shouldn't rely on Sat-Nav because if the system goes down I won't be able to find my way.
I have been driving now for nearly 20 years and Sat Nav has literally never stopped working for me.
Don't rely on your phone because what if the internet goes down, yes that is a possibility but 99% of the time the internet is working so I can google anything I want to.

By the same logic should I walk everywhere and not rely on my car because it might breakdown one day and not be available ?

This is why I never rely on myself :p

Soldato

Mainly its taught to kids to get them in a mindset of self reliance and not having to rely on technology.

A person should be able to do as much manually as possible.

Soldato
Mainly its taught to kids to get them in a mindset of self reliance and not having to rely on technology.

A person should be able to do as much manually as possible.
In some cases I agree with you but in others there simply is no point.

Am I going to teach my kids how to use a washboard ?
no because we have had washing machines now for decades.

some techniques are becoming obsolete and we don't need to teach them manually, just because.

Soldato

some techniques are becoming obsolete and we don't need to teach them manually, just because.

I agree it can get excessive. When I was being told this in school I was thinking we don't use half the things we're taught so why learn them (who uses fractions in their regular life? etc).

But I still think we should have basic manual knowledge in case a long power cuts. Because if we rely fully on technology then we're b*ggered until the power comes back on. In the future we're predicted to have more powercuts and maybe for a longer duration.

No computer, no internet connection, no tv, no microwave or electric cooker working, no boiling the kettle, no washer/dryer etc. It's like going back in time.

Soldato
I agree it can get excessive. When I was being told this in school I was thinking we don't use half the things we're taught so why learn them (who uses fractions in their regular life? etc).

But I still think we should have basic manual knowledge in case a long power cuts. Because if we rely fully on technology then we're b*ggered until the power comes back on. In the future we're predicted to have more powercuts and maybe for a longer duration.

No computer, no internet connection, no tv, no microwave or electric cooker working, no boiling the kettle, no washer/dryer etc. It's like going back in time.
*sigh*

How is your nuclear bunker coming along ?

Associate
I don't know about that, we've got far more access to renewable energy and backup energy even small generators are easily accessible.

And the new generation are getting taught basic skills and far more advanced skills because there is far more access to knowledge.

The problem is we've got "rough" areas where schooling is going backwards. Costs are becoming a priority over education and creating classrooms of 30/50 students who are only being taught to pass a test and not utilisation their passion or talent.

Soldato

Mind if I ask your age? doesn't have to be exact age if you don't want to say outright.

Man of Honour

Eh personally I don't understand people who don't have a backup/can't cope without the tools they rely on. For instance though I have a decent Sat Nav I still have a paper map in the glove box and know how to use it. If I'm going somewhere new and highly dependant on a map I will try and remember to download offline maps of the area, etc.

Soldato
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-model-railway-exhibition-says-mortified.html

So,

Reading between the lines.

This little hand of ******* broke into their own school and trashed the place and are using the excuse of being tiddly to excuse their behaviour.

Expulsion, effective immediate. (To start with, and even if it wasn't their "own" school, though I dont know the precise law on such matters. Can schools exclude for "Disrepute" reasons?)

They can take their GCSE's next year if anybody is willing to host them!

(Might actually be for their best really. They would be unlikely to do well this year under the circumstances and would have another year to study and grow up a bit)

Permabanned
Typical Daily Mail...

They all live in Stamford, a historic and genteel market town, besides one who lives in a picturesque village nearby in Lincolnshire

What does it matter where they come from! Oh that's right, middle class England doesn't breed yobs, that's fur council estates and inner city multi storey high rise flats.

Caporegime
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-model-railway-exhibition-says-mortified.html

So,

Reading between the lines.

This little hand of ******* broke into their own school and trashed the place and are using the excuse of being tiddly to excuse their behaviour.

Expulsion, effective immediate. (To start with, and even if it wasn't their "own" school, though I dont know the precise law on such matters. Can schools exclude for "Disrepute" reasons?)

They can take their GCSE's next year if anybody is willing to host them!

(Might actually be for their best really. They would be unlikely to do well this year under the circumstances and would have another year to study and grow up a bit)

So remove from them from the system so they have more time to be chavs?

Claps all round, truly nothing could go wrong with that.

Back
Top Bottom