Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Transmission breaker
Don
Have a look at the CBR600F as well, and if you want a nice V4 rumble, maybe a VFR could be worth considering?

Will do, looking for something sub 1k, so I can sell my cbr125 to cover most of it, then just give it some love to bring it up to standard. Likely to be quite old.

I learnt on a 2005 cb600f, and it was nice to ride, enjoyed the engine and power delivery.

Transmission breaker
Don
Just bare in mind that the sub 1K bikes will be money pits. I bought by CBR for £1200 and easily spent the same again fixing it over 3 years

Looking for something I can strip back and rebuild like my other bikes, will be needing stuff done for sure. Not afraid of a bit of work.
What needed doing on yours? Did you do the work yourself?

Soldato
I replaced the reg/rec, fuel pump relay, fuel pump, the entire wiring loom, dash bulbs to LEDs, stator, flexi circuit board behind the dash, front brake disks, rear brake disk, cush drive rubbers and wheel bearings , front half of the exhaust, damaged levers and some side fairing.

I didnt replace the brake disks myself or the bearings or exhaust.

These were not the only issues with the bike, just the ones I addressed.

Being used daily it was hard to get this stuff done and still use it

Associate
Got my first pair of bike Jeans from sportsbikeshop, Was going to learn with them.. But the armour was damaged.. Slice took out one of the knee ones and a cut in the hip armour.. Sent them an email, They did not look new either really. £180 to.

Man of Honour
Got my first pair of bike Jeans from sportsbikeshop, Was going to learn with them.. But the armour was damaged.. Slice took out one of the knee ones and a cut in the hip armour.. Sent them an email, They did not look new either really. £180 to.
On the plus side SBS customer services is spot on so you won't have any issues getting replacements, which ones did you go for?

Man of Honour
Transmission breaker
Don
I bought a 600 :D

Went for a Hornet 600 (2002/2003) Got it very cheap, as the 6th gear is gone.

Working out if I should just ride it around in 5th (seemed to go well on the motorway in 5th) for a bit then if i should get the box rebuilt (whip out the engine myself, and drop it off) or have a go myself at fixing it. Gearboxes have always been a bit of a magic box for me, so would be a good idea to have a better understanding by actually fixing one :)

Soldato
Have I screwed up my engine? How quickly does a YBR eat through engine oil? I checked today for the first time since I got it 2 weeks ago. I know I should've checked as soon as I got it, but the guy said he changed the oil before sale so I was thinking all was good. It was really low, no oil on the dipstick, I had to put in 500ml of oil to get to a good level. The ride into work was quieter and felt smoother, and the idle rpm was lower. Do you think there's any permanent damage? I've only done 80 miles since I got it, no problems starting and didn't feel anything wrong when riding.

Transmission breaker
Don
iirc, the ybr125 engine is pretty bulletproof?

Drop the oil, look for any bits in it perhaps? But if it was that bad, you would tell just by how badly it was running, or down on power. Really you wont be able to tell what damage (if any) you did unless you pull it apart and inspect, or just ride it and see if it does actually die!

Chalk it up to experience, and remember to check now and again!

Last edited:
Caporegime
It's almost as if the guy told you a porky pie to get you to buy his bike :eek:

As a little lesson, always always check all the fluids, lamps, pressures and anything else you can as soon as you get it home, even if it's dealer bought.

As Malt says, those little YBR engines are bulletproof, just keep an eye on it and listen for any rattles or power losses.

Soldato
iirc, the ybr125 engine is pretty bulletproof?

Drop the oil, look for any bits in it perhaps? But if it was that bad, you would tell just by how badly it was running, or down on power. Really you wont be able to tell what damage (if any) you did unless you pull it apart and inspect, or just ride it and see if it does actually die!

Chalk it up to experience, and remember to check every now and again!

Yeah, I didn't notice any problems whilst riding, however it does feel I can get quicker up to higher speeds now. But being my first bike, I didn't have a comparison!
I haven't done an oil change before so I might do so soon, even if it's just for the experience. Will only be a couple of quid in oil!

It's almost as if the guy told you a porky pie to get you to buy his bike :eek:

As a little lesson, always always check all the fluids, lamps, pressures and anything else you can as soon as you get it home, even if it's dealer bought.

As Malt says, those little YBR engines are bulletproof, just keep an eye on it and listen for any rattles or power losses.

I had a good chat with him, he seemed very genuine. Will never know I guess, lesson learnt! Hopefully all is ok and lives a long life! I checked the chain yesterday and that's all good. I'll go and check the tyres now, felt fine but will make sure!

Thanks guys. :)

Edit: Because I don't know it's service history, should I replace the spark plugs and air filter because Yamaha recommend it after 2 years, or do I only need to change it if I have a problem with starting?

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah ok, I thought it would be a lot more involved. The most I've done is change air/cabin filters in a car, never done oil changes or spark plugs, so all new to me. Looks a lot simpler and quicker on a bike than car.
About to hit the buy button on several stuff: Teng torque wrench, socket set, chain lube and cleaner, brake fluid. Always forget to add in the cost of tools/maintenance stuff, it can get quite pricey for a decent set!

I've read on forums, people saying about cleaning/changing the oil filter, but the manual has no reference to that at all?

Man of Honour
That's because the ybr doesn't have a normal user serviceable oil filter, it has a mesh strainer behind one of the engine covers that you can check if you really want.

Back
Top Bottom