Amsterdam hotel recommendations

Associate
Hi guys,

Looking to visit Amsterdam in August this year for 4-5 nights. Never been before so looking for some advice on good places to stay.

Ideally looking for somewhere easily accessible via train from the airport. Budget of around £500-£600 for the accommodation only for the two of us.

Soldato
The mercure in sloterjeck is nice, its a 2 min walk from sloterjeck train station and then central station is one 10 min train stop away. A good base to explore the city.

Associate
OP
The Mercure Amsterdam Sloterdijk Station looks like a decent shout, fit the budget quite nicely - and as you say - close to the station.

Soldato
The Mercure Amsterdam Sloterdijk Station looks like a decent shout, fit the budget quite nicely - and as you say - close to the station.

Yes straight from schipol airport on the train and you're only 1 stop away from central station.

The rooms are very nice but I decided to ignore the advice I was given about skipping the hotel breakfast and having breakfast at the station instead. For convenience I booked breakfast at the hotel and for 12 euro per person per day it was pretty average, you'll have more choice and pay less over at the station. For your trip you're looking at 100 euro plus just on hotel breakfasts which aren't much cop. Apart from that it's a nice hotel.

Soldato
Anything NH Hotels is good.
We went in march and made a mental note not to stay in whatever NH you first come across near Central station. What a dive around there.

I've been to Amsterdam a number of times for work so stay near the RAI. However the girlfriend and I went in March and stayed in Hotel De Hallen. It's a bit further out but easy to get to. Easy to get to the sights and more importantly is right next to the Food Hallen if that's your bag. Nice for a cheaper/easier dinner now that everything in Europe is crazy expensive for us. Amsterdam is famous for its quirky hotels and this one is a converted tram shed. Very cool, just make sure you get a room on the first floor so it's a bit quieter. We never had any noise issues in the night though.

Soldato
Just got back from a stag and we stayed at the hotel right next to Sloterdijk station. I found the whole area really weird, like staying under a concrete flyover, and I certainly wouldn't stay around there again if I went back, but that's just me

Caporegime
I stayed in the holiday Inn at sloterdijk. Great tram and train links.
The hotel was 100% average.
There was a supermarket near by and a couple of takeaways, mad kebab from the station.
Breakfast was fine, standard continental.
M
The whole area is concrete AF.
I was on the top floor and had some cool views over the station and concrete :p

Caporegime
Just got back from a stag and we stayed at the hotel right next to Sloterdijk station. I found the whole area really weird, like staying under a concrete flyover, and I certainly wouldn't stay around there again if I went back, but that's just me

I stayed in the holiday Inn at sloterdijk. Great tram and train links.
The hotel was 100% average.
There was a supermarket near by and a couple of takeaways, mad kebab from the station.
Breakfast was fine, standard continental.
M
The whole area is concrete AF.
I was on the top floor and had some cool views over the station and concrete :p

This is Sloterdijk in a nutshell. Not the most pleasant place to be but quite convenient.

If you think that's concrete however, stay on the train to the next station, Zaandam, that's even worse (I know that entire train line from start to finish, but I'll save your pronunciation muscles and refrain from citing them :D).

If you really want depressing, go to the Bijlmer. It's like Brixton squared with Hackney, minus anything that makes those two remotely bearable. There was a huge Boeing 747 crash there years ago, plowed straight in to a block of flats, I was there the weekend before :eek:

(Yes, I can bang on about Holland for hours, it's my ancestral country after all, and lived there from 15-22 years old).

Soldato
AirBnB is a good shout for Amsterdam, we stayed in a nice place about 10 minutes from the centre by tram and was significantly cheaper than hotels.
Yeah this is a good shout. OP could also check out the Lloyd Hotel for quirkiness. Up in the Oost docklands but well connected.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Looking to visit Amsterdam in August this year for 4-5 nights. Never been before so looking for some advice on good places to stay.

Ideally looking for somewhere easily accessible via train from the airport. Budget of around £500-£600 for the accommodation only for the two of us.

if you're literally just looking for somewhere to lay your head then the Ibis hotel is literally on top of Central station. Stayed there a few times now. It's nothing fancy but fine for a nights sleep.

As an aside, I've been to Amsterdam nearing about 10 times now. I'm not sure I'd ever want to go for more than 5 nights. 4 nights would be ideal

AirBnB is a good shout for Amsterdam, we stayed in a nice place about 10 minutes from the centre by tram and was significantly cheaper than hotels.

Also a good recommendation. Last time a group of us went we stayed in an AirBnB. Think it was called the Van Gough suite. Was really nice and much nicer than a hotel or a hostel but it was a bit more money. Was great being able to chill out and order a dominos on one evening when we were too tired to go back out

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom