Rift s whos getting one?

Soldato
Mine has just arrived from the catalogue shop which had the money off deal. :cool:
Also got some extension cables to add another 6ft/2m. Won't get chance to setup until later tonight though.

Soldato
OP
First impressions
The good:
Easy to set up(no faffing with sensors).
Screen door is almost gone.
Fov slightly increased over cv1.
Clarity of the screen is very good especially if you use supersampling. Textures are much more defined and fine detail is easier to see.
Halo headstrap is quite comfy.
Godrays greatly reduced.
No external sensors.

The bad:
The built in speakers are rubbish. My over ear headphone fit just fine though.
The foam they use for the face cushion is quite rough will be getting a vr cover replacement.
Blacks are worse than the cv1 but not too far behind.
When asw kicks in fps goes down to 40 which is too low. (Maybe a bug?)

Should you buy one? If you want inside out tracking and the clarity/res/no sde then yes.

Soldato
First impressions
The good:
Easy to set up(no faffing with sensors).
Screen door is almost gone.
Fov slightly increased over cv1.
Clarity of the screen is very good especially if you use supersampling. Textures are much more defined and fine detail is easier to see.
Halo headstrap is quite comfy.
Godrays greatly reduced.
No external sensors.

The bad:
The built in speakers are rubbish. My over ear headphone fit just fine though.
The foam they use for the face cushion is quite rough will be getting a vr cover replacement.
Blacks are worse than the cv1 but not too far behind.
When asw kicks in fps goes down to 40 which is too low. (Maybe a bug?)

Should you buy one? If you want inside out tracking and the clarity/res/no sde then yes.

Interesting.

Have you still got the old Rift? If so, then you should use the Rift S for a few hours, then go back to the old Rift. See if your impressions are still the same.

Sometimes when we switch up we don't realise how good the change is. Like the jump from 60hz to 120hz monitors. I only noticed it as a subtle change until I went back and used a 60hz monitor and then I realised how large the difference was.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Got my delivery this evening from the rainforrest.
Eagerly took my box from the delivery man. Seemed a little small for a Rift, but what the hell.
Popped the box open to find...a pink pair of kids headphones and a matching pink Ipad case. Just WTF
https://imgur.com/gallery/79eakuj?s=sms

Have re-ordered from OCUK.

Last edited:
Associate
Eagerly took my box from the delivery man. Seemed a little small for a Rift, but what the hell.
Popped the box open to find...a pink pair of kids headphones and a matching pink Ipad case. Just WTF?

Sorry about that dude - was looking forward to your DCS comments aswell

Soldato
Bizarrely the cable is ******* me off. I have a tall backed noble chair. It always seemed to be getting trapped between me and the chair or wrapped around something. Ended up putting a hook in the ceiling which helps a bit.

Soldato
My take vs CV1 in DCS:
+
S is sharper
No godrays
Colours are just as good
Head tracking is perfect
-
Same identical settings tanked my FPS from playable 45-50 on CV1 to 30 (!) on the S. On an empty Caucases map, at low to mid altitudes (rechecked by plugging back CV1 and playing a few different missions and planes. 8700K, 1080ti, 16Gb)
Sharpness is still nowhere near enough and reading instrument labels stil requires leaning in
Audio is ABYSMAL compared to CV1

=
Still debating with myself if I should keep the CV1 :D

Ok, apparently I'm an idiot and the "tanked the FPS" bit is completely wrong - I've somehow managed to accidentally tick the Vsync box in DCS options and without Vsync the performance is nigh on identical to CV1. Wow, I surprise myself sometimes... It's taken me an hour of digging too as CV1 was too pegged to 30fps all ofa sudden :o Good job I'm not doing reviews for a living :p

Second impressions are obviously miles better, but the added clarity is a double edge sword still - I see tonnes more jaggies, flickering shadows, motion smudges compared to the softer image of my CV1. I guess now is the time to experiment with the PD settings at long last as MSA x4 is not enough here.

Associate
only thing i dont like right now is the terrible rumble in the touch controllers. in beat saber i can barely feel if im hitting the blocks.... is there a way to turn this up as ive not found it yet

Soldato
OP
Tried a bit of elite dangerous ss set to 1.6 and wow it looks fantastic, everything is so sharp and txt is nice and clear. Assetto corsa and project cars 2 were just as impressive the detail in the cars and livery was just wow the textures just seem to pop compared to the cv1. If this is considered a small upgrade i cant imagine what the hp reverb looks like with its 2k panels.

Associate
yea im torn between the 2

I have an original odyssey and was going to get the reverb,the rift s is looking good just not sure how much of a difference between what I have now

Soldato
Tried a bit of elite dangerous ss set to 1.6 and wow it looks fantastic, everything is so sharp and txt is nice and clear. Assetto corsa and project cars 2 were just as impressive the detail in the cars and livery was just wow the textures just seem to pop compared to the cv1. If this is considered a small upgrade i cant imagine what the hp reverb looks like with its 2k panels.

I hadn't been in elite for a while. Thought there was supersampling in built but I can't see the option any more . Had to use the oculus tray tool?

It does look much better though.

Associate
Anyone tried room scale set up in steam vr? What a faff! Standing was easy enough but fed up of the chaperone popping up every 2 seconds when playing beat saber and some of my old games from my vive are room scale only. Trying to trace the room or do the advanced 4 corners part was do tedious as the base stations in the screen move with the head set. Finally got it working after about 20mins of trying with 1 person doing the controller part and the other stood in the middle of the room pointing the headset towards the other as they walked around. Anybody else tried it? Was I just unlucky?

Soldato
Anyone tried room scale set up in steam vr? What a faff! Standing was easy enough but fed up of the chaperone popping up every 2 seconds when playing beat saber and some of my old games from my vive are room scale only. Trying to trace the room or do the advanced 4 corners part was do tedious as the base stations in the screen move with the head set. Finally got it working after about 20mins of trying with 1 person doing the controller part and the other stood in the middle of the room pointing the headset towards the other as they walked around. Anybody else tried it? Was I just unlucky?

In the settings there is an option to reduce the Sensitivity of the headset and controllers to the guardian wall.

Associate
I played a few hours of war thunder last night on the Rift S and it's so much better now. The clarity of text on the main screens, can easily read the chat screen when flying etc..

Problems I encountered:

Rift S Audio is really low volume
If you play in the dark a message comes up on the screen saying it needs light.
Whilst playing Minecraft the Rift S screen started flickering and went completely black. The only way to get it working again was to restart the PC, unplugging the Rift didn't help.
The guardian thing keeps saying it needs resetting as it can't detect my location. I've turned it off now, I always had it off on the original Rift anyway.

Associate
I played a few hours of war thunder last night on the Rift S and it's so much better now. The clarity of text on the main screens, can easily read the chat screen when flying etc..

Problems I encountered:

Rift S Audio is really low volume
If you play in the dark a message comes up on the screen saying it needs light.
Whilst playing Minecraft the Rift S screen started flickering and went completely black. The only way to get it working again was to restart the PC, unplugging the Rift didn't help.
The guardian thing keeps saying it needs resetting as it can't detect my location. I've turned it off now, I always had it off on the original Rift anyway.

There are numerous reports on Reddit about the black screen issue. It happened to me twice while playing Pavlov! It seems to be software related.

Also, Oculus are working on improving the audio quality:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/brdl9b/psa_for_anyone_wondering_the_rift_s_audio/eoe1kph/

I set it to standing only with the Rift since the guardian system still works with SteamVR running.

Soldato
Popped the box open to find...a pink pair of kids headphones and a matching pink Ipad case. Just WTF?

That sucks!!

Soldato
Ok, going by early comments on here, think I am going to give the Rift S a pass for the moment. Seems like Oculus has a few bugs to sort out.

Back
Top Bottom