Epic Games Store now open!

Associate
But getting your account blocked by an over zealous security measure is a million miles from being banned. Epic store has issues but so long as people make stuff up to embellish issues it masks the actual problems.

This becoming like epic are some pantomime baddy . It really is silly
But being blocked out of your account for God knows how long because there will be a lot of people with this issue is a pain in the *** and it shouldn't happen in the first place if they allowed you to have a shopping basket it wouldn't be an issue you'd be outraged if your bank blocked your card because you purchased a few items online and had to wait 24+ hrs to even use it again

Soldato
How is it a meme? People got their accounts blocked for trying to make multiple purchases in quick succession, something they were forced to do if they want to buy multiple games since Epic couldn't be bothered to include a shopping cart (a feature so basic it's virtually as old as online shopping itself)...

Of course you're always going to get some people who exaggerate and go overboard on the criticism but it's not fair to write off people's legitimate problems with the state of EGS as "hurrr durr just memes" "hurrr it's just a launcher whats the big deal" "hurrrr steam cuckbois" etc.

I don't disagree that a shopping cart feature is a stupid omission at this stage but can we clarify people haven't got their accounts blocked (despite the clickbait article headline, the body of the kotaku article does actually clarify), they are simply unable to make purchases, they can still access their account. An inconvenience? Absolutely but the end of the world? Absolutely not.

But being blocked out of your account for God knows how long because there will be a lot of people with this issue is a pain in the *** and it shouldn't happen in the first place if they allowed you to have a shopping basket it wouldn't be an issue you'd be outraged if your bank blocked your card because you purchased a few items online and had to wait 24+ hrs to even use it again

Again did you even read the article and not simply the headline? The accounts are only blocked from making purchases not blocked from access. It's a pain and an inconvenience and could be rectified with basic functionality, absolutely, but it's mountains out of molehills. Support can rectify and the individuals will be able to make purchases again on their accounts.

Soldato
I find the epic megasale hillarious.

Its showing up some of the publishers for the greed they are, I think the issue isnt to do with not wanting to upset valve but rather to do with that they dont want their games devalued, some publishers never ever put their content on sale.

Steam had similar issues in the past, remember when steam sales used to be good, in those days valve picked the sales (and I think possibly also funded those sales), then suddenly the policy changed and publishers control sales of their games on there instead.

This is one thing I have no issue with on the epic store, its just funny the publishers threw a strop over it, dont know why the games got completely pulled tho thats just bizarre.

Soldato
I don't disagree that a shopping cart feature is a stupid omission at this stage but can we clarify people haven't got their accounts blocked (despite the clickbait article headline, the body of the kotaku article does actually clarify), they are simply unable to make purchases, they can still access their account. An inconvenience? Absolutely but the end of the world? Absolutely not.

Sure, but as we all know no matter what happens there will always be someone (often the media) to exaggerate things... at least it's generally balanced - the way people talk about Steam is equally full of hyperbole, e.g. "you literally can't find any games that aren't hentai visual novels and low effort garbage" (and it is an issue, but of course it's nowhere near that extreme and trivially simple to either use search filters or setup global filters on your account to completely eliminate that complaint)

Soldato

Its showing up some of the publishers for the greed they are, I think the issue isnt to do with not wanting to upset valve but rather to do with that they dont want their games devalued, some publishers never ever put their content on sale.

Steam had similar issues in the past, remember when steam sales used to be good, in those days valve picked the sales (and I think possibly also funded those sales), then suddenly the policy changed and publishers control sales of their games on there instead.

This is one thing I have no issue with on the epic store, its just funny the publishers threw a strop over it, dont know why the games got completely pulled tho thats just bizarre.
It's their loss and they are blinded by their own greed as they missed out on a large number of sales. Cutting your nose off to spite your face seems particularly apt here.

Man of Honour

I agree, it is indeed hilarious. They don’t want their game to be devalued, so it temporarily can’t be sold on the epic store and since they are no longer in steam can’t be sold there either. That’ll teach them for their greed.

Soldato
Better still - it looks like news is just starting to break that Metro Exodus, from a series that has consistently sold over 5 times the numbers on PC vs. Console, has massively undersold on PC this time around... and THQ shareholders are not too happy about it :o Haven't seen any absolutely concrete evidence yet but will be pretty big if true

I did think it was odd that after the slightly dubious "Exodus on EGS sold more in the first day than Last Light did on it's first day - Epic store is a huge success!" news that got bandied about so frequently just after the release did suspiciously seem to dry up and nobody has said a word about the sales volumes since then... and you can bet if they were worth talking about Tim Sweeny would be screaming them from the rooftops every chance he got

Man of Honour
I enjoyed Metro Exodus, but there was something lacking in it compared to the first two games. Difficult to quite put my finger on it but there were just times during Exodus where I was quite bored.

Soldato
Better still - it looks like news is just starting to break that Metro Exodus, from a series that has consistently sold over 5 times the numbers on PC vs. Console, has massively undersold on PC this time around... and THQ shareholders are not too happy about it :o Haven't seen any absolutely concrete evidence yet but will be pretty big if true

I did think it was odd that after the slightly dubious "Exodus on EGS sold more in the first day than Last Light did on it's first day - Epic store is a huge success!" news that got bandied about so frequently just after the release did suspiciously seem to dry up and nobody has said a word about the sales volumes since then... and you can bet if they were worth talking about Tim Sweeny would be screaming them from the rooftops every chance he got

I was reading something about this over on Reddit - the PC sales numbers released are vague at best, the rumour was the game was selling extremely well up to the release date on Steam then it dried up once released and Epic Launcher was the only place for PC game players to get the game.

I reckon torrent downloads for the game increased - and the game I suspect will sell well again, if it indeed hasn't sold too well on PC , when its released on Steam in March 2020 is it? Or sometime next year. I think most are just waiting for the eventual Steam release, and then the game sales will pick up a bit , provided the ones that torrent filed the game really wanted it in their Steam library.

I am waiting - all games released exclusive to EGS , I'll wait to see if they do come to Steam , or if confirmed already and I want to get the game I am 100% waiting for the Steam release. Metro Exodus being one of them.

Man of Honour
I am waiting - all games released exclusive to EGS , I'll wait to see if they do come to Steam , or if confirmed already and I want to get the game I am 100% waiting for the Steam release. Metro Exodus being one of them.

I bought Metro and I am 100% getting Borderlands 3 on EGS, all of my mates are and I'm not going to deprive myself of being able to play Borderlands 3 with them. I'll also definitely buy Outer Worlds because it looks awesome, other than that though I don't think theres anything else on EGS I especially want enough to buy.

Soldato
I bought Metro and I am 100% getting Borderlands 3 on EGS, all of my mates are and I'm not going to deprive myself of being able to play Borderlands 3 with them. I'll also definitely buy Outer Worlds because it looks awesome, other than that though I don't think theres anything else on EGS I especially want enough to buy.

To be honest, I am more a wait until game has matured and been patched and gone on sale nowadays anyhow, so many games release in such a poor state, need quite a few patches and eventually a GOTY edition lands, I can wait. I can wait for better deals, patched up and GOTY versions with all the DLC, and maybe even save up to 50% + in the process, so yeah I can wait this one out, and save money !! lol

Soldato
I reckon torrent downloads for the game increased - and the game I suspect will sell well again, if it indeed hasn't sold too well on PC , when its released on Steam in March 2020 is it? Or sometime next year. I think most are just waiting for the eventual Steam release, and then the game sales will pick up a bit , provided the ones that torrent filed the game really wanted it in their Steam library.

I'm sure the sales numbers will pick up a bit when it hits Steam... but are you going to be willing to pay £50 or whatever full price is for a year old game when it does? I doubt many people will want to, so either it's going to have to hit Steam at an already pretty heavily discounted price (and as usual many will go via cdkeys/GMG etc.) so whilst better than nothing I think the actual monetary value of the sales on Steam will be far less than they could have gotten had they let it actually release there on the "real" release date, amid all the hype etc.

Borderlands 3 is going to be a real watershed moment for this whole debacle, that's for sure... I'm actually pretty surprised and impressed that all of the complaining and outrage at Epic may actually be reflected in the sales figures (for Metro) - most of the time the people criticising things like this are actually just fickle and end up caving in and supporting the thing they claim to dislike anyway... Borderlands though has that "FOMO" element especially in situations like you describe (you don't want to be that one guy standing his ground and end up with nobody to play with when you finally get the game)... Will we see groups of friends pushing each other into EGS's arms or will we see the opposite (groups jointly deciding to wait for Steam)... Exciting times

Soldato
I see Ebay are doing an offer tomorrow 15% off any purchase to do with technology. (I am thinking about a switch or a riftS or even an oculus quest).

The reason i am posting here is, i wonder if Ebay are going to get flak the same as epic store has? I am gonna stick my neck out and say not a chance.... but isnt it exactly the same? The quest and the rift literally just came out, but ebay are - using epic discount is devaluing games logic - are devaluing the cost of these items by £60 and at the same time are making it unfair competition wise with any stores not selling on ebay.

Re Borderlands.... I dunno... after buying borderlands 1 and 2 day 1, BL3 does not look to offer much new to me and i am far less interested in it than the other 2 games. I am certainly not buying it any time soon but that is nothing to do with the store it is on

also there is the fact that the last borderlands game was also a bit "meh" so much so i dont even think about it when thinking borderlands.

Caporegime
OP
also there is the fact that the last borderlands game was also a bit "meh" so much so i dont even think about it when thinking borderlands.

That's a shame, I'm playing it currently and I think The Pre-Sequel is now slightly better than Borderlands 2 for at least three reasons -
i) air boosting/slamming
ii) no arsing about with s-lag
iii) cryo effects

But as for Borderlands 3, I'm happy to wait to see how it performs on PS4 Pro. I need that split-screen co-op which I don't think the PC version will have.

Man of Honour
Borderlands 3 is going to be a real watershed moment for this whole debacle, that's for sure... I'm actually pretty surprised and impressed that all of the complaining and outrage at Epic may actually be reflected in the sales figures (for Metro) - most of the time the people criticising things like this are actually just fickle and end up caving in and supporting the thing they claim to dislike anyway... Borderlands though has that "FOMO" element especially in situations like you describe (you don't want to be that one guy standing his ground and end up with nobody to play with when you finally get the game)... Will we see groups of friends pushing each other into EGS's arms or will we see the opposite (groups jointly deciding to wait for Steam)... Exciting times

You may be right on this, I think the appeal of Metro Exodus was much more limited than Borderlands 3, even amongst my own group of gaming friends the Metro titles were quite marmite, whereas we all universally loved Borderlands. Pre-sequel wasn't quite as good as Borderlands 1 and 2 but then again Pre-Sequel was made by a different house (IIRC) and I think many gamers are clued up enough to know that and generally not taint BL1 or BL2 with the Pre-Sequel brush due to that.

Associate
I'm sure the sales numbers will pick up a bit when it hits Steam... but are you going to be willing to pay £50 or whatever full price is for a year old game when it does? I doubt many people will want to, so either it's going to have to hit Steam at an already pretty heavily discounted price (and as usual many will go via cdkeys/GMG etc.) so whilst better than nothing I think the actual monetary value of the sales on Steam will be far less than they could have gotten had they let it actually release there on the "real" release date, amid all the hype etc.

I suspect (and I'm probably wrong :p) that Epic will reduce the price of the game on EGS when the exclusivity deal ends. Giving buyers the option of paying full price on Steam or a reduced price on EGS.

But if the Metro rumours are true they are going to have to do some more work to make the store attractive to users, and therefore attractive to publishers.

Soldato
You may be right on this, I think the appeal of Metro Exodus was much more limited than Borderlands 3, even amongst my own group of gaming friends the Metro titles were quite marmite, whereas we all universally loved Borderlands. Pre-sequel wasn't quite as good as Borderlands 1 and 2 but then again Pre-Sequel was made by a different house (IIRC) and I think many gamers are clued up enough to know that and generally not taint BL1 or BL2 with the Pre-Sequel brush due to that.

yeah pre-sequel was made by a different team and so that does make a difference. Personally though i have still not seen anything in BL3 which makes me want to go back into it.... of course different strokes and all that, just my opinion (and not even a very informed one as i have not played BL3 yet).. metro on the other hand... i am itching to play that BUT i want to wait till i have an RTX card for it, so am holding off on that one too, but for different reasons.

I dont hate the epic store - I dont like it either it has a long long way to go feature wise.... but for me it has no games which i simply must buy yet (that new "burnout" game is the biggest tempter for me right now personally - Dangerous Dr1v1ng)

I will tell you what Epic Store has not done <yet! never say never!!!> Sell a "gold edition" of a game, put up on thier official FAQ what content is in the gold edition including a season pass, then pull it from sale, and re-release another gold edition with exactly the same art work, and leaving the FAQ unaltered but removing the season pass from it.

This was my experience of the ubisoft store last week.

Soldato
I've been using EGS for Observation, it seems fine. Not as fleshed-out as Steam, no screenshots function for example is a weird omission, but I personally don't have an issue with the icon for the game launching EGS in the background rather than Steam. It hasn't crashed, corrupted any files, or caused any other issues with how the game plays. Plus I saved £10-12 in the process vs what the launch price on Steam would be.

But then I get the impression that if cheap EGS keys were available on CD Keys etc people would have a more favourable view of it. The people who want all their games on Steam and aren't willing to compromise are probably also the same people who rarely buy anything via Steam anyway.

Back
Top Bottom