House Hairline Cracks

Soldato

Soldato
OP
Got a house valuation survey with bank. The last one we got he was useless so didn’t bother this time.

Yeah I should have more photos

Soldato
Seems like standard ground heave and/or drying plaster. I wouldn't about it - especially those above the door frames. I would monitor it though to make sure they aren't growing. If there's any cracks which are 2mm or more then there may be underlying movement.

Soldato
OP
cheers guys - feel a bit calmer.

The worst ones are in the large open hallway and landing upstairs..... upstairs landing has 3 cracks (in T shape originating from a light...…. one end going to attic hatch, other 2 to walls across top of ceiling about 1.8m length crack)

Soldato
My house was built ~1906 and i didn't notice any cracks when i originally viewed it :o I can see a fair few now but then it hadn't been decorated for a long time previously.

Soldato
My house was built ~1906 and i didn't notice any cracks when i originally viewed it :o I can see a fair few now but then it hadn't been decorated for a long time previously.
Modern decorating trends really don’t help in the good old days some nice thick embossed wall paper would have hidden the lot smooth modern plaster hides nothing!

Soldato
OP
There is no cracking outside - the bricks and mortar look in very good condition.

I was just worried because there is some kind of cracking in about 7 rooms, hallway and landing.

The one in the hallway is really noticeable - I can’t believe I would have missed it as I was looking at wall condition. That was 8 weeks ago

Tea Drinker
Don
Looks like my old house 80s timber frame brick clad cracks all over the place.

Stuff like cracks over a door is because they use three pieces of plasterboard one each side and one over the top. Can't do that now whole piece with a door size hole in it.

Soldato
As above comments, they just look like expansion and contraction around joins etc.

When I had a more detailed survey on a house the surveyor told me he would only worry about internal cracks you can fit a pound coin into. Anything else is normal shrinkage and can be decorated over.

Back
Top Bottom