Sims 4 Free on EA Origin

Associate
Just an FYI, don't try to get it through the Origin app as it pushes you to purchase Origin access and even if you decline, you only get the option to gift a copy to someone else instead of being able to get it for yourself.

Soldato
OP
Just an FYI, don't try to get it through the Origin app as it pushes you to purchase Origin access and even if you decline, you only get the option to gift a copy to someone else instead of being able to get it for yourself.

Sounds odd, did not happen to me. Launched the origin app as normal and went through normal process of getting a game, Worked fine for me. Was an option to get the deluxe version via access, but base one was a none issue.

Soldato
This any good? I did get it but the last Sims i've played was 2 which I also got free on Origin cutesy of EA.
I enjoyed it, best one of the lot IMO, especially the building.

Had no bugs unlike in 3 where my character got STUCK INSIDE A BOOKCASE, some say that to this day she is still in there.

Associate
Thank you for the heads-up, just resurrected my Origin account.

Whilst a fan of a fan of RollerCoaster Tycoon (Chris Sawyer version) I have never played a Sims game.

The Sims never appealed at the time. I always perceived a Tamagotchi style game play, when you don't play for a few days it all goes to pot. The ridiculous pricing and volume of add-on's; further put me off.

Anyway for free, t'is a good excuse to see what the fuss is about!

Soldato
Shame it is such a downgrade on the Sims 3. I hate to admit it, but I really enjoyed that game.
I played 3 tons, had it modded to hell before it fell apart due to it being such a mish mash game at stock alone. I really did enjoy it but afaik they've never tidyed up the engine to run really well with todays hardware and 4 is apparently no different.

Soldato
Dear god. What on earth did EA do to the game?! It is a common thought looking at forums that Sims 3 was the height of the series, even though the engine was a sluggish, stuttery mess. The freeform movement you had from one end of town to another was great as I recall.

With these memories intact, I installed this a few days ago and gave it a shot. Installed some CC (custom content) and fired up the game. The character editor was ok and functional and into the world I went - a little hovel on some dead end road. I exited my dump and then realised why the game gets so much bad press - EA gas divided up the 'map' (if you can call it that) into 'grid' and the game loads a portion of that as you move around. To visit a neighbour you are faced with a load screen of say 20secs. To return to your house you're faced with another load screen and so forth. With my sanity reaching silly levels I decided to visit town...cue load screen for about 30seconds. Apparently EA did this to reduce the stuttery mess from the previous game and make it more about social one on one interactions instead. Sod that.

Soldato
Dear god. What on earth did EA do to the game?! It is a common thought looking at forums that Sims 3 was the height of the series, even though the engine was a sluggish, stuttery mess. The freeform movement you had from one end of town to another was great as I recall.

With these memories intact, I installed this a few days ago and gave it a shot. Installed some CC (custom content) and fired up the game. The character editor was ok and functional and into the world I went - a little hovel on some dead end road. I exited my dump and then realised why the game gets so much bad press - EA gas divided up the 'map' (if you can call it that) into 'grid' and the game loads a portion of that as you move around. To visit a neighbour you are faced with a load screen of say 20secs. To return to your house you're faced with another load screen and so forth. With my sanity reaching silly levels I decided to visit town...cue load screen for about 30seconds. Apparently EA did this to reduce the stuttery mess from the previous game and make it more about social one on one interactions instead. Sod that.
Sims 3 was the better game in many aspects... But 4 is so much smoother. I dont think I could play 3 again.

Soldato
Sims 3 was the better game in many aspects... But 4 is so much smoother. I dont think I could play 3 again.
Yeah agree there from the short amount of time I spent in it. It's a 64bit game too, which greatly helps in every way. It's just a shame about the constant loading, even on an SSD I just couldn't manage to put up with that.

Soldato
OP
To visit neighbour, well most you can walk to the houses if they are on same segment. I think its if you fast travel there then there is a load time.

sounds like a console port ?

Other way around I believe. PC came first then console. I imagine they segmented the map to make things smoother in general and easier, more so for consoles.

Guess its a frustrating trade off, smooth play for most the part, then load time transitioning to other areas. I am only seeing load times around the 5-10 sec mark thankfully (mine is on NVME)

Back
Top Bottom