Mondeo powershift gearbox mk4/4.5

Soldato
Soldato
Hi all
Looking at mk4/mk4.5 mondeos as a potential car to purchase around 6k - titanium X 2.0TDCI. Looking for a TX as they tend to have heated/cooled seats

In combination with the powershift gearbox are there any major problems with this powertrain or should I look for a manual?
example car https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/inv...ersModified=true#listing=134638615_isFeatured

@233 or anyone with mondeo knowledge have anything to share?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
the TX sets are some of the best you will find anywhere,

amazingly comfortbable and great with the heated and cooled option. done many a 18 hour day in a set of those.

powershift box is fine as long as you service them regularly. to be fair the auto is the better choice for the car. and the 2l tdci is the best option (the 2.2 is great but silly expensive for a tit x sport 2.2

just picked up another 14 plate for taxi purposes a few weeks back albeit it only Titanium spec and no xenons but great choice of car the one you've linked with the windsor leather does look lovely. although personally i would say a bit on the pricey side for a 7yr old Mondeo

Soldato
Agreed that the 2.0 is the best option for the diesels. I had a 2.2 and it was decent enough but fuel economy was terrible - I had to put effort in to to get mpg in the low 40s even on long motorway runs sat at 70mph. Unless mine was just broken, but there's lots of posts online saying that it's bad so I don't think I'm alone. I am actually amazed at how much these cars seem to be holding their value though.

Soldato
As said, the 2.2 TDCI is pointless since it's not a whole lot more economical than the more powerful petrol Ecoboost.

The Powershift box isn't as smooth as the average DSG but it's reliable if serviced on time. Note that all the reports of failure and problems in the Focus and Fiesta in the US/Aus are talking about the dry clutch variant.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Cheers guys, some good info there. Just finding one with gearbox service history as well might prove to be difficult hence might go for a manual

Looks v nice although way out of budget :D

What's the deal with bluetooth on these? Did all facelift cars come with bluetooth and streaming?

Another one I have seen

https://www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/inv...=false&filtersModified=true#listing=134315565

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

titanium X 2.0TDCI.

Exactly my car (mk4.5). It's great and the gearbox is smooth and predictable. A bargain for the £3800 I paid for it last July (high miles at 139k - since done another 8k trouble free). My wife has a mk4 Titanium X SPort 2.0 Ecoboost and the gearbox in that is a bit harsher than mine - they improved the boxes a bit for the mk 4.5's.

36226215_10217076318038870_2399410177427111936_o.jpg

36036797_10217076317798864_3628104190854692864_o.jpg

36137276_10217076317958868_2157180043476860928_o.jpg

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Nice! What age is it?
Do you know anything about bluetooth/streaming on these - is it standard on mk4.5 TX?
Mk4.5 was post 2010 september right?

Soldato
I'm fairly sure BT was standard with the facelifts but can't find anything that would confirm it. All I can say is that I haven't seen one that doesn't seem to have it.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Yeah. The only thing I can tell from seems to be the BT audio icon in the convers+ but in lots of ads there are no pics of this area so I have no idea if they have or not

Soldato
Another way would be if there are pictures or mention of the USB port. As far as I'm aware, you can't have USB without having Bluetooth/Bluetooth streaming available. On non-facelift cars the socket was in the glove box I believe, but on the facelifts it's in the arm rest compartment.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Another way would be if there are pictures or mention of the USB port. As far as I'm aware, you can't have USB without having Bluetooth/Bluetooth streaming available. On non-facelift cars the socket was in the glove box I believe, but on the facelifts it's in the arm rest compartment.
Cheers. I've booked an "at home" test drive tomorrow on this sandicliffe one - likely won't buy but just to see whether I like the car or not

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Nice! What age is it?
Do you know anything about bluetooth/streaming on these - is it standard on mk4.5 TX?
Mk4.5 was post 2010 september right?

It's a 2011. BT streaming is on both mine and the wifes (also USB socket in the glovebox on both cars).

Soldato
That one doesn’t have Xenons. It’s tricky to tell from the lamp clusters because the Titanium X has moving projector lenses, but the sure fire way to check is look at the light controls to the right of the steering wheel. If the leftmost knob has a leveling control they are not Xenon because the Xenons self level.

Xenons were only standard on the Titanium X Sport.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
That one doesn’t have Xenons. It’s tricky to tell from the lamp clusters because the Titanium X has moving projector lenses, but the sure fire way to check is look at the light controls to the right of the steering wheel. If the leftmost knob has a leveling control they are not Xenon because the Xenons self level.

Xenons were only standard on the Titanium X Sport.
Ah OK makes sense, thanks. Either way not a deal breaker for me I think I would be fine with the regular lights

Associate
Agreed that the 2.0 is the best option for the diesels. I had a 2.2 and it was decent enough but fuel economy was terrible - I had to put effort in to to get mpg in the low 40s even on long motorway runs sat at 70mph. Unless mine was just broken, but there's lots of posts online saying that it's bad so I don't think I'm alone. I am actually amazed at how much these cars seem to be holding their value though.

2.2 isn't a great engine used in other cars like the Citroen/Pugs juicey loves fuel and has many issues like can't get injectors out so have to smash cover off.
2.0 HDI's are more or less bullet proof 8v and the 16v are both good mines 8v 53mpg average over 150 thou.
Fords same engine just uses fords attachments and all made in Dagenham at Powertrains be it PSA/fiat/ford/BMW/Volvo/Jag/rover etc

Back
Top Bottom