• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Associate
I can't see the PS5 having an SSD even though I would like one. The cost would be to high as they would need at least a 2tb drive. I would imagine a 2tb mechanical drive will be used.

On another note, upgrading my rig to a 2080ti and 21:9 monitor is going to cost me around £2000.00 so I am very much leaning towards consoles even though I have been a PC gamer for years. The cost of PC upgrades have just spiralled out of control. Putting up with 30fps will just have to do.

It has already been confirmed they are using an SSD in PS5...

On page 6.

Shawrey

Soldato
You're left with about 860GB usable space on a PS4 with a 1TB HDD or SSD, it'll probably be even less on the PS5 and the games will inevitably be considerably larger as 4K will be the norm. 1TB simply isn't good enough for a next-gen system. There's going to have to be some form of mechanical storage and caching involved otherwise you'll be forever swapping games in and out from a USB hard-drive.

Has Cerny confirmed that its actually 4k ? I suspect there will be trickery involved like a better version than what the Ps4 Pro does now

Games may therefore not take up as much space as you think

Soldato
The PS5 is a dilemma, its going to be more powerful and capable than my 1600 with 1080ti rig, and the cost of me upgrading the rig to something more capable would be more than a ps5? So this is the part where the only way to go is a console, again

It's not going to be more powerful than a 1080ti. At best games on it will achieve results similar to what you can already get with a 1080 ti but probably not from the get-go (and likely only first party titles). Don't forget how locked down everything is on consoles though, there's so many ways you can tweak games to your liking on PC, it's nuts. Even something as simple as FOV can be huge. Got Destiny 2 w/ PS+ but couldn't stomach the gimped FOV. Graphics & framerate was fine but it's these other settings which kill me & make me unwilling to buy console again. Plus, maybe you want high FPS in some games but better graphics in another - on PC you can change settings to your liking on a game by game basis. And let's not even speak of all the mods! I'll be very happy once I offloaded this PS4 Pro.

Also, the costs are way overrated for PC. Let's remember that an i7 920 will have lasted you through 2(!) whole generations of consoles, well over 10 years, and produced similar or better results. People who plan out their PCs for upgrades will not end up paying much more in the end, but will have a much better experience overall.

Caporegime
It's not going to be more powerful than a 1080ti. At best games on it will achieve results similar to what you can already get with a 1080 ti but probably not from the get-go (and likely only first party titles). Don't forget how locked down everything is on consoles though, there's so many ways you can tweak games to your liking on PC, it's nuts. Even something as simple as FOV can be huge. Got Destiny 2 w/ PS+ but couldn't stomach the gimped FOV. Graphics & framerate was fine but it's these other settings which kill me & make me unwilling to buy console again. Plus, maybe you want high FPS in some games but better graphics in another - on PC you can change settings to your liking on a game by game basis. And let's not even speak of all the mods! I'll be very happy once I offloaded this PS4 Pro.

Also, the costs are way overrated for PC. Let's remember that an i7 920 will have lasted you through 2(!) whole generations of consoles, well over 10 years, and produced similar or better results. People who plan out their PCs for upgrades will not end up paying much more in the end, but will have a much better experience overall.

It is more powerful than a 1080Ti. it's somewhere between a 1080Ti and a 2080Ti. It can do 8K and ray tracing. No chance it will be less powerful than a 1080Ti. I think Sony are really going for it this time.

Soldato

But the main thing with consoles is they can squeeze so much more power, so if the PS5 is say 1080Ti power, it's going to be more like achieving the levels a 2080Ti can on the PC because of optimization?

Soldato
8k??? Who gives a crap about 8k??? Just give me solid locked 60fps and native 4k. That would drive hundreds of thousands of ppl away from overpriced PC gaming I'm sure, especially if they could get the price around £500 mark. They can make a loss on the hardware, they'll make it back and loads more on top through subscriptions, DLC and the extra from the folk that jump back from PC to the console.

I think the next gen consoles will put a huge dent in the PC space, huge. Unless the cost of overpriced hardware/monitors comes down 50% of where it's at now, im sure most will lap up 4k60fps console gaming from the couch on their 50" plus OLEDS and LED TV's.

Last edited:
Caporegime
8k??? Who gives a crap about 8k??? Just give me solid locked 60fps and native 4k. That would drive hundreds of thousands of ppl away from overpriced PC gaming I'm sure, especially if they could get the price around £500 mark. They can make a loss on the hardware, they'll make it back and loads more on top through subscriptions, DLC and the extra from the folk that jump back from PC to the console.

I think the next gen consoles will put a huge dent in the PC space, huge. Unless the cost of overpriced hardware/monitors comes down 50% of where it's at now, im sure most will lap up 4k60fps console gaming from the couch on their 50" plus OLEDS and LED TV's.
60fps native 4K is an absolute cert. No worries about that one imo.

Not optimistic about the 8K tbh, probably will be the PS5 Pro that pushes on in that area.

Soldato

You'd certainly hope so wouldn't you. Console gaming to me needs to be at 60fps first and foremost. Having spent years and years gaming at 1440p 144hz with adaptive sync tech, playing on my ps4 pro is a horrendous jarring experience. It's the main reason for not wanting to even turn the console on.

Associate

Well I'm holding me breath on that one. Developers are always trying to squeeze every last frame out of the system and more interested in making the game look than run well hence 30fps for a majority of games these days. I can't see it running 4k 60fps. Some games maybe.

Associate
Yeah will be 4K 30fps for the real big boys I think but will likely give an uncapped frame rate option maybe. To get 4K 60FPS is still a real push with all the bells and whistles on and the devs are going to want to have the Gfx looking as impressive as possible. Most console gamers are happy with 30fps; many wouldn’t even know what that even means tbh.

Soldato
It is more powerful than a 1080Ti. it's somewhere between a 1080Ti and a 2080Ti. It can do 8K and ray tracing. No chance it will be less powerful than a 1080Ti. I think Sony are really going for it this time.

I'll assume you're being serious. It is 100% not going to be more powerful than a 1080 ti because in order to do that it means it would have to be AT LEAST on par with V64 OC & make great use of all the new Navi features, all while being a low cost option. It should be clear from the slides that Sony is focusing on cost & spread rather than pure power, so anyone expecting a hardware behemoth for the PS5, will be disappointed. It would be a great achievement for them to get something like V64 hardware (not performance! that can be better due to optimisations & software progress) in the PS5 in the first place, but even that won't be enough to rival a 1080 ti on desktop.

But the main thing with consoles is they can squeeze so much more power, so if the PS5 is say 1080Ti power, it's going to be more like achieving the levels a 2080Ti can on the PC because of optimization?

No. If you look at current consoles, for example, X1X, that has a somewhat RX 580 equivalent in it and the games themselves run more or less like with a 580. [Ex: Rage 2]

Yes, for first party titles there's some extra to be squeezed from the hardware purely because the games are made exclusively for a single platform, but that's not going to translate into the same gains for cross-platform titles. That's why I say, that, if PS5 GPU has the hardware capabilities of something like a Vega 64, then AT BEST it will equal a 1080ti in terms of results but ONLY for exclusives.

Caporegime
I'll assume you're being serious. It is 100% not going to be more powerful than a 1080 ti because in order to do that it means it would have to be AT LEAST on par with V64 OC & make great use of all the new Navi features, all while being a low cost option. It should be clear from the slides that Sony is focusing on cost & spread rather than pure power, so anyone expecting a hardware behemoth for the PS5, will be disappointed. It would be a great achievement for them to get something like V64 hardware (not performance! that can be better due to optimisations & software progress) in the PS5 in the first place, but even that won't be enough to rival a 1080 ti on desktop.

No. If you look at current consoles, for example, X1X, that has a somewhat RX 580 equivalent in it and the games themselves run more or less like with a 580. [Ex: Rage 2]

Yes, for first party titles there's some extra to be squeezed from the hardware purely because the games are made exclusively for a single platform, but that's not going to translate into the same gains for cross-platform titles. That's why I say, that, if PS5 GPU has the hardware capabilities of something like a Vega 64, then AT BEST it will equal a 1080ti in terms of results but ONLY for exclusives.
Tbh, you're just sounding like a massive PC fan panicking at the idea that a console is coming that can truly rival your ridiculously expensive gaming PC.

Soldato
Exhausted. A bit like your PC master race dominance :p
Soon to be console master race with this absolute unit of a console :p

But in all seriousness, I can’t wait for the reveal of the ps5 ! Even though after replaying Witcher 3 again, I feel the PS4 is still holding up pretty well ! (Fantastic game, even better the second play through )

Soldato
Has Cerny confirmed that its actually 4k ? I suspect there will be trickery involved like a better version than what the Ps4 Pro does now

Games may therefore not take up as much space as you think

It's a safe bet, given the X1X already targets 4K natively in many cases. Games have grown larger as this generation has gone on, that will only continue.

Back
Top Bottom