• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Genuinely I think this is how it will go if I know anything of the past.

AMD keynote: Blah blah blah. Ryzen 3700x $350
OCUKFORUM: Hurray! Yay! wow I can't wait!
OCUK: Ryzen 3700x - £475
OCUKFORUM: WTF???!? Gouging much, Pound vs Dollar calculations a plenty on the forums etc etc
Gibbo: Ahh but shipping, VAT, "actually we are very competitive", "brexit". "We have stock". "we've sold 10 million Ryzen chips" etc etc

:D:D:D
$1.26 per £1 and VAT rate is 20%. If anything, prices should 1:1 $:£ after shipping is factored in. Anything worse and it is clear retailer price gouging.

Soldato
$1.26 per £1 and VAT rate is 20%. If anything, prices should 1:1 $:£ after shipping is factored in. Anything worse and it is clear retailer price gouging.
We have been here 1000 times before. Trust me. Expect the worst. UK retailers gouge to living hell with launches like this. Forced "supply issues" too.
It nearly always works out cheaper importing it yourself from USA which makes absolutely no sense because of economies of scale. It is just gouging.

9900k launch was like £650 here!!! While it was I think $450 from USA. Madness.

Last edited:
Caporegime
im hoping the 12x is 4.5ghz stock and £300 or less with intel matching ipc. its a big ask but thats what i would buy it at.

i would only consider the 8 core if it clocks above 4.5ghz and matches intel ipc if its £200 or under. as the pc im upgrading is basically slightly slower than that.

You wouldn't buy an 8 Core 16 Thread CPU with similar performance to a 9900K for more than £200, but you would pay £500 for a 9900K, presumably because the box it comes in is Blue.

I'm not going to make the argument that this is what AMD are up against, i think this is a very small minority, the truth is right now people are buying 8 Core 16 Thread AMD CPU's that are 20% slower than Intel's £500 9900K and they are paying over £200 for them.

I just looked on the World's largest online retailer and the 2700X at £265 is the second best selling CPU, the 9900K ranks much lower down at 5'th.
This is how its been pretty solidly for about a year now.

AMD's reputation and Mindshare is completely the opposite of what it was in the Bulldozer days, only a very small minority are still emotionally tied to a brand, when its Blue. Good luck to those few.

Associate
If we're talking how much OCUK will charge then I'll say £650 if MSRP is £450. There will be the usual huge amount of gouging as they have to meet sales expectations or what not (i.e. keep a huge fleet of high end sports cars on the road;)).

Caporegime
You wouldn't buy an 8 Core 16 Thread CPU with similar performance to a 9900K for more than £200, but you would pay £500 for a 9900K, presumably because the box it comes in is Blue.

I'm not going to make the argument that this is what AMD are up against, i think this is a very small minority, the truth is right now people are buying 8 Core 16 Thread AMD CPU's that are 20% slower than Intel's £500 9900K and they are paying over £200 for them.

I just looked on the World's largest online retailer and the 2700X at £265 is the second best selling CPU, the 9900K ranks much lower down at 5'th.

AMD's reputation and Mindshare is completely the opposite of what it was in the Bulldozer days, only a very small minority are still emotionally tied to a brand, when its Blue. Good luck to those few.

i didnt say that. im basically upgrading a older intel rig to hopefully game on do some video stuff on. currently its 5820k at 4.6. now for games its still quicker than anything ryzen right now. no need to debate this ive benched literally every game and have a ryzen rig also. so unless the 8 core does atleast 4.5 stock with matched ipc. there is no point in upgrading it. as it will either be the same in games or so slightly ahead its pointless waste of money to do so. the extra two cores would help in video stuff but not enough to warrant a upgrade.

also basically the 8 core new chips are just 2700 replacement. with extra core speed hopefully and better ipc. so look at what 2700s are they are 200 quid.they will sit in that price bracket unless gouged. 200-250 for probably a x varient. as explained above if the if close or slightly faster its not worth the upgrade if its 250+.

i wouldnt pay the 9900k price its ridiculus but...i do understand why people do.

so im hoping for like i said 200 for the 8 core. 300-350 for the 12 core. the 12 is the obvious better upgrade and worth it for the pc i will be upgrading. it will make a big difference in editing and the longevity its worth the extra. over a 8 core which console will have in and 8 will be normal by probably next year. 12 core will see you for probably 5 years if the ipc is good and great clock speed for gaming.

Associate

I'd struggle to agree with the AMD mindshare quote as I have two PC enthusiast friends and one of them would simply buy Intel regardless of the performance of AMD products. I've told him about Ryzen, the upcoming launch etc and he simply does not want to know. He's the same about Nvidia, he drank the cool aid nearly 20 years ago and won't be budged. I may well be wrong but the other friend went with a 2600X on my recommendation but I suspect left to his own devices he too would have taken the 'safe' Intel route although I doubt he'd be daft enough to spend £500 on the 9900K, would probs have bought the 8600K like a third friend did for his son. None are remotely 'enthusiasts' and none of them ever overclock they're just conservative in their consumer choice like those who religiously stick to I-phones.
Pretty sure Ryzen 2 will shake them out of their torpor but it may take a year or two more.

Caporegime
just remember some people just have one view and stick with it regardless of knowing what someone actually wants. then assume. im all in on the amd hype train will have one at launch if...the hype is real and they deliver on whats being touted.

Soldato
I do wonder what kind of overclocking settings we'll have to play with. I wouldn't be surprised if it'll end up being like with Ryzen 2 where overclocking actually hurts performance unless you're using all the cores often. e.g. if there's a 12-core that boosts to 5.0 GHz on a single core but only say 4.4 GHz on all cores, it may well end up being slower in games when overclocked. In that case an 8 core may actually be a better performer for a lot of tasks because it'll likely have more thermal headroom to overclock.

Caporegime
I'd struggle to agree with the AMD mindshare quote as I have two PC enthusiast friends and one of them would simply buy Intel regardless of the performance of AMD products. I've told him about Ryzen, the upcoming launch etc and he simply does not want to know. He's the same about Nvidia, he drank the cool aid nearly 20 years ago and won't be budged. I may well be wrong but the other friend went with a 2600X on my recommendation but I suspect left to his own devices he too would have taken the 'safe' Intel route although I doubt he'd be daft enough to spend £500 on the 9900K, would probs have bought the 8600K like a third friend did for his son. None are remotely 'enthusiasts' and none of them ever overclock they're just conservative in their consumer choice like those who religiously stick to I-phones.
Pretty sure Ryzen 2 will shake them out of their torpor but it may take a year or two more.

This is your micro level experience, everyone i know has moved from older Intel to Ryzen, no kidding every single one of them and they are all looking forward to Zen 3000, again tho that's just the micro level.

What matters is the macro level, and the fact is for all the retailers we have info for AMD are outselling Intel, on one we know they are selling 2 - 3 times as many Ryzen CPU's as Intel are selling Skylake / Coffeelake, Rain forest the top 3 selling CPU's have been without interruption Ryzen for at least a year now.

Associate
I'm sitting in a good position as a Ryzen1 1700 owner, Zen2 at similar clocks is an upgrade let alone it hitting 5ghz, so regardless of clockspeeds I'm already getting a decent upgrade.

What I would like to see however is memory latency, on a single chip variant and a multi chip variant to workout which is going to be the better gaming CPU.

If that means the new 8c chip is the best gaming chip I'll get that, sure I gain no cores but I'll get a decent IPC increase and a speed boost which in itself will be a good upgrade!

Can't wait!

Permabanned
This is your micro level experience, everyone i know has moved from older Intel to Ryzen, no kidding every single one of them and they are all looking forward to Zen 3000, again tho that's just the micro level.

What matters is the macro level, and the fact is for all the retailers we have info for AMD are outselling Intel, on one we know they are selling 2 - 3 times as many Ryzen CPU's as Intel are selling Skylake / Coffeelake, Rain forest the top 3 selling CPU's have been without interruption Ryzen for at least a year now.

On a macro-level, the OEMs outsell intel 5:1 compared to Ryzen, hence the not normal low 15% overall Ryzen market share.

Back
Top Bottom