• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
OcUK are paying to run this forum so is it really appropriate to be taking the **** out of them here quite so much?
I guess if the mods don't care then fill your boots!
Lets be honest here. They don't run the forum out of the kindness of their heart. :D:D

The forum is a captive audience of their perfect customers and is a very good business accessory. Hence why we see the posts by OCUK promoting new products.
Rest assured, if the forum didn't make them money (indirectly) then they wouldn't pay for the servers. It's a business after all.

Associate
Personally, I don't think this would be the correct launch for AMD to charge a premium price. They are on the cusp of securing their place in terms of the absolute best performing CPU lineup (assuming leaks are accurate), they need to keep the ball rolling after their successful first gen launch.

This time around there is talk that Intel really doesn't have an answer to what is coming next. IMO, AMD need to use this time to get as many people on board by using the reputation that Zen has built up. One of their big points of sale is affordability and they can really use this launch to win over a great deal of people. Best performance AND best prices? They will surely win huge market share.

The launches after Zen 2 are when AMD could add a fair premium, but they need to be cautious and not let any potential success steer them toward Intel's mistake of taking the ****.

£400 for the 12 core X variant will be very close to my maximum budget. Going much over £500 for the top chip will also be pushing the boundaries. Regardless of all this, people WILL pay more money for these chips, if they deliver.

Associate
I'm sitting in a good position as a Ryzen1 1700 owner, Zen2 at similar clocks is an upgrade let alone it hitting 5ghz, so regardless of clockspeeds I'm already getting a decent upgrade.

What I would like to see however is memory latency, on a single chip variant and a multi chip variant to workout which is going to be the better gaming CPU.

If that means the new 8c chip is the best gaming chip I'll get that, sure I gain no cores but I'll get a decent IPC increase and a speed boost which in itself will be a good upgrade!

Can't wait!
I have a feeling the 8 core chips will be 2 4 core modules rather than an 8 core one.

Associate
It’s a toss up between the 3600x and 3700x for me, depending on price. The 3600x alone will double my core count and if it comes in at mid range prices then happy days. I view the 3700x as a luxury and bit of overkill for a games machine, but at the right price...

Soldato
I have not seen anything about B550, I would assume that like with the b450 boards they will launch several months after x570.
According to Tom's, the benchmarks for the 3200G and 3400G APUs listed on the SiSoftware ranker database were derived when running off a B550 motherboard, specifically a Medion B550A4-EM.

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ryzen-5-3400g-ryzen-3-3200g-b550-chipset,news-60674.html

https://ranker.sisoftware.co.uk/sho...e1dcedcba39eab8df5c8f9dfbadfe2d2f487ba82&l=en

As an aside, that gives a good impression Ryzen is catching on with OEMs.

Associate
Personally, I don't think this would be the correct launch for AMD to charge a premium price. They are on the cusp of securing their place in terms of the absolute best performing CPU lineup (assuming leaks are accurate), they need to keep the ball rolling after their successful first gen launch.

This time around there is talk that Intel really doesn't have an answer to what is coming next. IMO, AMD need to use this time to get as many people on board by using the reputation that Zen has built up. One of their big points of sale is affordability and they can really use this launch to win over a great deal of people. Best performance AND best prices? They will surely win huge market share.

The launches after Zen 2 are when AMD could add a fair premium, but they need to be cautious and not let any potential success steer them toward Intel's mistake of taking the ****.

£400 for the 12 core X variant will be very close to my maximum budget. Going much over £500 for the top chip will also be pushing the boundaries. Regardless of all this, people WILL pay more money for these chips, if they deliver.

I agree. With the 7nm 8-core coming at around £300 or close to the launch price of the R7 2700X not the current price. We got to remember that Zen 1+ will still be available for purchase. But to expect the 12 core to be at £300 is overhyping the price only to complain when it does not come to fruition.

Permabanned
I agree. With the 7nm 8-core coming at around £300 or close to the launch price of the R7 2700X not the current price. We got to remember that Zen 1+ will still be available for purchase. But to expect the 12 core to be at £300 is overhyping the price only to complain when it does not come to fruition.

I will postpone the purchase until the Ryzen 7 3700 12C/24T becomes 330 euros maximum.

Soldato
It looks like HKEPC has some new leaks:

https://www.hkepc.com/17968/

sBAW2Q5.jpg

A few days later, the Computex 2019 conference was officially unveiled. The key link is of course that AMD will release a new generation of Ryzen 3000 series desktop processors based on the Zen 2 CPU architecture. It is expected that AMD will release a new X570 chipset, and the latest HKEPC will be awarded. A frame diagram of the AMD Ryzen 3000 platform and the X570 chipset shows how the complete Ryzen 3000 series processor and the X570 PCH are interconnected.
The X370 and X470 chipsets are designed by ASMedia, and the latest X570 chipset is the first AMD's own in-house designed AM4 motherboard chipset. With the new X570 chipset, AMD can be the Ryzen 3000 Zen2 "Matisse" processor. Provide a new PCIe 4.0 connection.
According to the newly acquired X570 chipset frame diagram, on the AM4 "Valhalla" platform, you can see that the CPU provides 24 PCIe 4.0 channels, 16 of which are assigned to the PEG (PCI-Express graphics) part, which can be transferred via external switches and The drive is configured as a single x16 or two x8 slots. In addition to the 16 PEG channels, there are 4 channels assigned to one M.2 NVMe slot and the remaining 4 channels used as a chip group bus.
In the storage section, the figure shows that in addition to the 16 PEG channels, four PCIe 4.0 channels are assigned to one 32Gb/s M.2 NVMe slot, and the remaining four channels are used as a chipset bus for connecting the CPU to the X570. The chipset, the X570 chipset itself handles USB 3.1 Gen 2 connectivity, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, SATA 6Gbps and more.In terms of transmission speed, the proportion of each PCIe standard is as follows:
PCIe 1.0: 2.5GT/s

PCIe 2.0: 5GT/s

PCIe 3.0: 8GT/s

PCIe 4.0: 16GT/s

The bandwidth will vary from configuration to configuration, but at the highest end, PCIe 4.0 x16 has a bandwidth of approximately 31.5GB/s, which is twice the PCIe 3.0 x16 ( 15.75GB/s).
In addition to the new X570 chipset, the existing X470, B450, X370 and B350 motherboards only need to update the BIOS to support the next-generation Ryzen 3000 series processors. As for the budget A320 and A300 motherboards, complete support is not yet available. Confirmation, there is still a news update from each motherboard manufacturer.

Soldato
The MSI livestream had some more info on their motherboards at the 1:30 mark on. Fan only kicking in over a certain chipset temperature, connected by heatpipe to the other heatsinks. One Intel NIC and a 2.5Gbps NIC. Overall looked pretty decent.

Soldato
I'll go for 2x 8GB at 3200Mhz or thereabouts. Gives me room to expand to 32GB should I need to in the future.

Probably good value at that speed. I've gone for 4000MHz as I'm aiming for a higher end board and apparently the supported OC speed will go that high. If not I'll just tighten the timings.

Soldato
The MSI livestream had some more info on their motherboards at the 1:30 mark on. Fan only kicking in over a certain chipset temperature, connected by heatpipe to the other heatsinks. One Intel NIC and a 2.5Gbps NIC. Overall looked pretty decent.

I see what you mean about the heatpipe (on the Ace at least). Travels alongside the DIMM slots and reaches to the chipset. Nice.

Back
Top Bottom