Locking something that is not yours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
So using your logic, if I bought something online with click and collect and turned up to the store and found it closed for whatever reason, I am allowed to break it to get 'what is mine'?

Honestly, I think the OP just needs to learn a little patience. Unless I missed it above I do not know the reasoning behind needing your bike so urgently that day, and I do not mean to catch the train, I mean the larger picture of the day, but honestly not many things are so important to not wait 5 minutes? If you were late for work let them know the situation and a good employer would understand, if you were late for a friend they would understand too, etc.

At least you didn't admit to criminal damage online for the world to see - that would have really been a bad move.

Soldato
I was about to ask a question along similar lines

Some random guy has started to lock his bike in my employers shed, we’d like to prank him before telling him it’s private property and to stop using it

Any ideas , ones that are not illegal

Caporegime
I was about to ask a question along similar lines

Some random guy has started to lock his bike in my employers shed, we’d like to prank him before telling him it’s private property and to stop using it

Any ideas , ones that are not illegal

Just keep letting the tyres down. Jobs a good'un. He'll soon get sick of pumping them up.

Associate
  • Ridiculous situation, but one based on either: a) lack of common sense or poor planning, b) some need to have the additional lock installed asap as a security measure. Less likely to be c) malice on behalf of the maintenance op.
  • Right to be miffed, but from the wording of your interaction with the gardener, you thereafter do yourself no credit and come across like a bell.
  • Nobody stole the bike.
  • You should be liable for the damage.
In that situation, you really just wait five minutes, gain entry, retrieve your bike and catch the next train...

Soldato
  • Ridiculous situation, but one based on either: a) lack of common sense or poor planning, b) some need to have the additional lock installed asap as a security measure. Less likely to be c) malice on behalf of the maintenance op.
  • Right to be miffed, but from the wording of your interaction with the gardener, you thereafter do yourself no credit and come across like a bell.
  • Nobody stole the bike.
  • You should be liable for the damage.
In that situation, you really just wait five minutes, gain entry, retrieve your bike and catch the next train...

Yeah but everyone in London has this over exaggerated sense of self importance, so they act like missing a train is a big deal, even though they're most likely every 10 minutes

Soldato
Im even more annoyed at this point, tell him I shouldn't need to wait even 1 minute to get my own bike, there has been no letter sent whatsoever, and proceed to take off the rest of the door.

It was all fine until this point, where you were massively unreasonable. Just think how all of this hassle could have been avoided by you acting like a human being, accepting that someone had made a mistake, and allowed them 60 seconds to rectify it.

Caporegime
Bloke even told you you'd get the key. The correct course of action would've been to wait and then go down the official channels to tear him a new one, sadly not only have you lost this option but you've also made yourself look a tit and caused damage which you're liable for.

As frustrating as it is, you'll need to eat humble pie on this one as these kind of people will make your life hell and enjoy doing it.

Soldato
You were in the right until the gardener offered to go get a key, and you broke the door down anyway. Waiting 5 minutes is not unreasonable. If you were going to be late to catch a train because of it, then you didn't give yourself enough margin for travel time, which is also on you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom