• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth it to get a < £150 filler card?

Associate
OP what resolution are you planning at gaming on?

NAVI is not going to come anywhere near Nvidia's current offerings, so why do you believe in prices reduction from them?

Because it will either match a 2070 and beat it on price or beat it and match it on price.

Nvidia have already geared up to drop prices and maybe announce more cards on Navi release because they know they're going to have to protect market share. They won't have done this on spec. Nvidia almost certainly will have genuine AMD insiders who'll be telling them exactly where Navi is likely to hit

Associate
OP
Nice thoughts there guys.

I'm planning to future proof my gpu upgrade for 1444p 144Hz with a monitor change, later down the year.
So the new gpu, 1080p it will be, i'm fine with that.

I see your thoughts, that it might be a good time to upgrade the gpu now.
Well with sandybridge still in my system, I'm unsure of that cpu bottleneck.

Associate
Nice thoughts there guys.

I'm planning to future proof my gpu upgrade for 1444p 144Hz with a monitor change, later down the year.
So the new gpu, 1080p it will be, i'm fine with that.

I see your thoughts, that it might be a good time to upgrade the gpu now.
Well with sandybridge still in my system, I'm unsure of that cpu bottleneck.

At the moment I'd consider the following, Vega 56 is £250, Vega 64 is £330 and about 8% faster than 56, 2060 is and 7% faster than Vega 56, 2070 is £420 11% faster than a 2060. So you are getting diminishing returns

You could also get 15% from undervolting, increasing power and overclocking a Vega card

So if you were going to buy now, for me the smart money would be Vega 56 + 1444p Monitor. And then upgrade to a Zen 2 system as you will be bottlenecked by Sandybridge

But waiting should see some sort of shake up. Whether it affects Vega prices I'm unsure.

Associate
Do you think we will be getting any bank holiday sales this weekend? looking at a 2080 myself i was going for a 1080ti but for another 100 quid i think i rather have a 2080 but the only one ive seen at that price isn't from here i rather buy from ocuk tbh!

Associate
2070 is weird card pricing and performance wise. Not that much better than 2060. In current Gen I would get 2060 and not bother with 2070. Matter of fact those RTX cores don't matter much anyway and 1660Ti should be much better way to go.

Associate
OP
The limiting factor for me is the 6gb vs 8gb memory for the 2060 vs 2070.
So, I'm looking into the future more - upwards of 3 years, where games need more memory.

Associate
if ur GPU breaks down imho you have only 4 real options atm:
1. buy 2nd hand to tide you over (980Ti, 1070 realm)
2. buy Vega 56 and milk it for all its worth
3. buy for your target performance and stick with it for 3yrs+, which if its 1440p your ok if its 4k ur knackered cos ur forced into the 2080Ti
4. Wait for Navi BUT be prepared for smoke & mirrors around price/performance

Associate
OP
With being so close to the announcements of Ryzen 3000 and Navi, I'm waiting until they are announced before purchasing the upgrades.
Still on for 2070, and for the cpu, depends on the price reactions and release date, before I decide.

Associate
OP
Aye, several people have said that.
Since I still have a sandybridge, and don't want to bottleneck my system, i'm waiting to upgrade a lot of components.

Associate
The limiting factor for me is the 6gb vs 8gb memory for the 2060 vs 2070.
So, I'm looking into the future more - upwards of 3 years, where games need more memory.

It sounds like you don't want to go AMD, but those options are 8gb as will Navi.
if ur GPU breaks down imho you have only 4 real options atm:
1. buy 2nd hand to tide you over (980Ti, 1070 realm)
2. buy Vega 56 and milk it for all its worth
3. buy for your target performance and stick with it for 3yrs+, which if its 1440p your ok if its 4k ur knackered cos ur forced into the 2080Ti
4. Wait for Navi BUT be prepared for smoke & mirrors around price/performance

5. Use his remaining 660ti and play less demanding games or tone settings down

Associate
OP
That's exactly what I doing now, toned down the settings, and playing non AAA games.
50 50 for me to go to AMD for graphics. Whatever's the best value or performance at my price bracket is the key.

Associate
OP what resolution are you planning at gaming on?

Because it will either match a 2070 and beat it on price or beat it and match it on price.

Nvidia have already geared up to drop prices and maybe announce more cards on Navi release because they know they're going to have to protect market share. They won't have done this on spec. Nvidia almost certainly will have genuine AMD insiders who'll be telling them exactly where Navi is likely to hit

Let's assume that NAVI end up performing just like the RTX2070 while costing £100 less, people will still buy the Nvidia card for the following reasons
  • Run more efficiently.
  • Has more features.
  • Strong performance in less popular titles compared to equivalent AMD card.
  • It just works (for example I never had an issue with Nvidia cards, with AMD on the other hand...I had a lot to say the least).

As you can see it is not enough for NAVI to win in price/performance ratio, it needs to do way more in order make an impact on Nvidia prices.

Associate
Let's assume that NAVI end up performing just like the RTX2070 while costing £100 less, people will still buy the Nvidia card for the following reasons
  • Run more efficiently.
  • Has more features.
  • Strong performance in less popular titles compared to equivalent AMD card.
  • It just works (for example I never had an issue with Nvidia cards, with AMD on the other hand...I had a lot to say the least).

As you can see it is not enough for NAVI to win in price/performance ratio, it needs to do way more in order make an impact on Nvidia prices.

It Just Works and RTX cards in the same breath? Surely you jest? Anyone taken in by Ray Tracing and DLSS as it is now has been sold a pipe a dream

I'm sure Nvidia will always sell more due to their marketing, it doesn't make them the best buy.

Associate
Pfft, one week? Man up :p I downgraded from a 1070 Ti to an RX 550 seven weeks ago and am waiting patiently for news on NAVI. To be honest, I'm so snowed under with work and whatnot I may even end up holding out until much later in the year/early 2020 before re-upgrading.

Associate
OP
I'm more patient, waiting for my upgrades.
If 7 / 7 / 2019 for the release of Ryzen 3000, then I'll upgrade now.
Seems, the lowest price of RTX 2070 has increased - sigh, from £420 to £460.

Back
Top Bottom