What tax covers NHS?

Associate
Hi,

I have a British passport but have never worked in the UK, but I will retire in the UK, I'm paying national insurance contributions, will this ensure that I am able to receive NHS treatment?

I have tried researching but it's not clear..

My friend from vietnam just found out their father needs a liver transplant, even though they have insurance, it's going to cost 100k USD, makes you realise how lucky we are...

Caporegime
From Wikipedia

The National Insurance Funds are used to pay for certain types of welfare expenditure and National Insurance payments cannot be used directly to fund general government spending. However, any surplus in the funds is invested in government securities, and so is effectively lent to the government at low rates of interest. National Insurance contributions are paid into the various National Insurance Funds after deduction of monies specifically allocated to the National Health Services (NHS). However a small percentage is transferred from the funds to the NHS from certain of the smaller sub-classes. Thus the four NHS organisations are partially funded from NI contributions but not from the NI Fund.

Soldato
I believe the OP is asking two separate things in title and post.

The qualification for receiving NHS treatment is normally to be a UK resident. The other question is about how the NHS is funded.

The observation about a friend in Vietnam having a liver transplant will doubtless get a Brexiteer GD member, who's too lazy to actually read the details, frothing and furious about health tourists. We can laugh about them later.

Soldato
"If you are moving abroad on a permanent basis, you will no longer be entitled to medical treatment in the UK under normal NHS rules. This is because the NHS is a residence-based healthcare system."

If you live outside the EU(spit) you won't get free NHS.
Talk to attorney to make sure.

Caporegime
"If you are moving abroad on a permanent basis, you will no longer be entitled to medical treatment in the UK under normal NHS rules. This is because the NHS is a residence-based healthcare system."

But when he moves back, he will be entitled.

Caporegime

Exactly this. You need to be a uk resident to get the benefits.
Im longer entitled to it, need to bring my ehic.

Associate
If you are legally resident in the U.K. you can access NHS healthcare. If you have a British passport you are legally resident as soon as you move back. There is no provision for a grace period before you can access healthcare.

Associate
That's not what happened to me.

Have you gone through this?

It certainly should be residency based. In fact primary care and emergency you don’t even need to be resident, just to feel you need to be seen. Were you actually charged for something? Were you actually resident or just back for a holiday staying with family etc?

Man of Honour
British passport.
Retired back to the UK so living here.
Has a valid NI number and has been making contributions.

I really can't see a problem. He'll get treated.

Associate
In my experience all you need to get free NHS healthcare is being registered with a GP.

To be registered with a GP you need some sort of proof that you live in their area, i.e. council tax, water, electricity, etc. Ergo, if you are simply living in the UK, you get free healthcare. No need to pay in anything or have a British passport.

The above is based on mine and multiple friends' experience, both EU and non-EU, and both employed and unemployed.

This was also confirmed, by my grandmother's experience, who was simply visiting some family in the UK when she had to have an emergency procedure done, she had to provide evidence she was an EU resident and fill some forms, as she did not have a EHIC card.

Man of Honour
In my experience all you need to get free NHS healthcare is being registered with a GP.

To be registered with a GP you need some sort of proof that you live in their area, i.e. council tax, water, electricity, etc. Ergo, if you are simply living in the UK, you get free healthcare. No need to pay in anything or have a British passport.

The above is based on mine and multiple friends' experience, both EU and non-EU, and both employed and unemployed.

This was also confirmed, by my grandmother's experience, who was simply visiting some family in the UK when she had to have an emergency procedure done, she had to provide evidence she was an EU resident and fill some forms, as she did not have a EHIC card.
Actually this is true. I work with quite a few Indian nationals working over here. One of them needed dental treatment a few months after arriving and was able to be treated because he could prove legal residence.

Caporegime
I believe the OP is asking two separate things in title and post.

The qualification for receiving NHS treatment is normally to be a UK resident. The other question is about how the NHS is funded.

The observation about a friend in Vietnam having a liver transplant will doubtless get a Brexiteer GD member, who's too lazy to actually read the details, frothing and furious about health tourists. We can laugh about them later.
Why would it get us brexiteers frothing? He says nothing of the sort about his friend getting a liver transplant in the UK. Why even bring brexit into it? Absolutely desperate.

Back
Top Bottom