• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
Wrong! What when the RMA period has ended?
outside of a very small number of people there's not going to many prepared to physically modify a motherboard. you're into the realms of niche users within an already a niche area. in fact i'd be surprised if most motherboard vendors don't put measures in place to prevent or at least limit the access users have to physically mod their board. could you imagine the carnage of rma's that would ensue if it's 'easy' to mod - every numpty with a screw driver would be at it!

when i first saw the leaks showing motherboards with fans my first thought was, wait a couple of months till you see the stream of 'is my motherboard dead' threads that pop up - if the fans are replaceable/moddable. the forums will be full of people who've watched 30seconds of a youtube video and decided they can change out the fan themselves then end up damaging the board through ham fistedness. unless the mb vendors make it a very simple push/pop and release & replace system or some other relatively fool proof method (and even then folk will still **** it up)
but i imagine that requires an industry standard (or at least a standard per vendor) and a cost that would be better spent on keeping the vast majority of average users away from board modding.

obviously i could be totally wrong but that was just the first thing that immediately struck me on seeing the fans.

Soldato
^^^^ still been told Aorus ones didn't have Active cooling

Should be interesting to see heatpipe designs, but God I missed ABit board designs haha

I'd be a little concerned here. If everyone else thinks active cooling is necessary under certain circumstances, what makes Gigabyte think otherwise? I would not be surprised if it turns out they should have put a fan on there, because Gigabyte always seems to have some kind of design/support/BIOS/compatibility issues with their new products.

Soldato
I'd be a little concerned here. If everyone else thinks active cooling is necessary under certain circumstances, what makes Gigabyte think otherwise? I would not be surprised if it turns out they should have put a fan on there, because Gigabyte always seems to have some kind of design/support/BIOS/compatibility issues with their new products.

depends on their design, their Back plates are able to cool VRMs by themselves alone . also they dont do Chunky Heatsink designs like current Vendors/ x470/z390 boards but actual fins .
Have a feeling they'll move back to their X470 fin design then current z390 which is a hybrid of the two .
guessing waterforce board will cool it down with water like current Z390 version

their nvme 4.0 m.2 shows finned heatsink design, most likely will blend into x570 boards

begs the quetsion, when X499 rolls out..... with naturally double the 4.0 lanes.... running GPUs or NVMe's will be HOT! cooling on that should be fun

Is there actually a restriction, or did Gigabyte simply choose not to reveal until Computex? Are MSI at Computex?

very tight lipped about it , more so then most . Only info I managed to get was that they weren't impressed with ASUS VRM being almost identical

Is there actually a restriction, or did Gigabyte simply choose not to reveal until Computex? Are MSI at Computex?

both will be at computex , some reps are on way and others on monday , corsair sending a huge amount of staff

Soldato
Asus always skimp on the vrm but try to sell at premium prices
Good business model. Asus pretty much has all the top Youtube tech channels in bed with them which is great PR advantage to have over it's rivals (notice almost any video that involves building a PC 8 times out of 10 it will have an Asus motherboard, 9.99 times out 10 if it's a top end/luxury build) hence why they can afford to cut a few corners here and there.

Back
Top Bottom