• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Good mid range card for Fortnite (probably used)

Man of Honour
I want to reclaim my PC from my son and build him something which will play Fortnite at least as well as my current 3930K with Vega 64.

Am I right in thinking nVidia cards are slightly better with the Fortnite engine? Would a 1070 be roughly equivalent to my V64 in this game?

Budget is around £250 and I'll probably be donating him my Dell 3007 2560x1600 as far as resolution is concerned.

Thank you.

Soldato
Budget is around £250 and I'll probably be donating him my Dell 3007 2560x1600 as far as resolution is concerned.
I could be wrong, but I think it would be difficult to find a new 1070 at good price considering most places have sold-out due to long passed its EOL, and those with few remaining pricing them at the like of £300+?

As much as I would like to say "go for the 1660ti" since it has on-par performance with 1070, but I simply cannot bring myself to recommending a card with a stingy amount of 6GB vram for 2560x1600 res. Though if he only play Fortnite exclusively, then it may not be an issue I guess...

https://www.techspot.com/article/1557-fortnite-benchmarks/

Even a Vega56 can hold a solid 60fps+ at that res, so 1070 being faster doesn't really meant anything on a 60Hz display. If it was my choice, I would just go for the Sapphire Vega56 Pulse at £250 with World War Z and Division 2 for free, considering it would destroy the 1070 in pretty much everything else except the few titles that Nvidia has advantage with.

Last edited:
Associate
I could be wrong, but I think it would be difficult to find a new 1070 at good price considering most places have sold-out due to long passed its EOL, and those with few remaining pricing them at the like of £300+?

As much as I would like to say "go for the 1660ti" since it has on-par performance with 1070, but I simply cannot bring myself to recommending a card with a stingy amount of 6GB vram for 2560x1600 res. Though if he only play Fortnite exclusively, then it may not be an issue I guess...

Even a Vega56 can hold a solid 60fps+ at that res, so 1070 being faster doesn't really meant anything on a 60Hz display. If it was my choice, I would just go for the Sapphire Vega56 Pulse at £250 with World War Z and Division 2 for free, considering it would destroy the 1070 in pretty much everything else except the few titles that Nvidia has advantage with.

Damn it. Im too slow.Pretty much my exact thoughts

Man of Honour
OP

Thanks. The V56 was actually my first thought. But I then found that nVidia cards were better for this game. I'm happy to buy a used card. So I guess it comes down to whathever turns up first at the right price; a 1070 or a V64.

The 8gb would be better long term though.

Soldato
The one on OCUK website is pretty good just had it for a week or so. However you can find it a lot cheaper elsewhere if you look. Needs a custom fan curve though as the fans dont kick in till 70c. Saying that didnt go over 75c and its very quiet.

Although my kids play Fortnite and I noticed one gets around 70fps and they have a 1050ti and a GTX 960 in laptops!

Back
Top Bottom