Poll: Winter Is Coming - HBO's A Game of Thrones [READ WARNING]

Who will rule Westeros?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
So the irritation is really just about Ed Sheeran being visible as Ed Sheeran. Even though not known first for being an actor, someone who's acted in countless music videos and also in other TV series, who's credited as a video writer and a producer.

Soldato
So the irritation is really just about Ed Sheeran being visible as Ed Sheeran. Even though not known first for being an actor, someone who's acted in countless music videos and also in other TV series, who's credited as a video writer and a producer.

The irritation is it's Ed ******* Sheeran.

Soldato

for me yes - he wasn't awful, but it was flat and unnecessary.

Soldato
Exactly. People are just looking for things to hate.
Far from it. I just see it as an important clue to how the showrunners were losing the plot... quite literally. It was distraction, not direction, and I stand by the fact that a blatant cameo by a very famous singer (note: not actor) was fan service for Maisie and generation X/Y/X/Whatever, not a genuine contribution to the story.

I stopped listening to much new music in about 1984, so nobody would accuse me of being in touch. But anyone who's turned a telly on at random intervals during the last decade (I think I first spotted him on Jules Holland's Later) would have struggled not to see Sheeran grinning back at them a few times. Whether his music is bland or not, he must be a really nice bloke, because nice folk tend to get invited back on telly a lot because they're easy to work with and tend to make comfortable viewing. Which is absolutely fine for the One Show or Loose Women, but never for a drama.

Simon Pegg in anything is pretty irritating, so guilty as charged.
Simon Pegg is the Ed Sheeran of acting.... every time I see him I end up wondering how he got where he is today. Hard work and making the best of life opportunities, I'm sure, but Pegg's 'rent a quirky actor' role was great for Hot Fuzz and the zombie one, but...

But who cares what I think? :) Besides, I'm the one who nearly didn't watch the first season of GoT because I saw Sean Bean and thought... oh, here we go again, Sean Bean appearing as Sean Bean again! I'd have preferred someone with a bit more range, but they needed some keystones to draw attention, so I can give them that.

I didn't realise Tim Lovejoy was in GoT :D
You mean you didn't spot Simon Rimmer cooking the dinner in S7E2, while Tim interviewed The Hound in a piece about fire extinguishers?

The irritation is it's Ed ******* Sheeran.
Ah, another voice of reason. :) A cameo by Theresa May, discussing the politics of King's Landing and the plight of the common soldier would have been less jarring. Or Sarah Beeny contemplating the do-er-upper potential for Harrenhal... And I just impressed myself by spelling Harrenhal right first time. Still can't spell Danhairy@rse without a look-up table though. One good thing about the series ending is a lot less spoolchucking.

Well, when we all eventually get tired of bickering over it. Might be a while. :)

Soldato
You realise he wrote those movies, right? He's not just a jobbing actor, he's a successful comedy writer.
I may be daft but I'm not thick. :) I have no problem with him as a comedy actor or writer, but whatever he's in, it's Simon Pegg being Simon Pegg, albeit sometimes with a Scottish accent. Admittedly that criticism can be levelled at a lot of actors -- perhaps most -- but some folk blend into the plot background better than others.

Cameo roles -- to get back on topic-ish -- are never about blending in. That's the problem.

Man of Honour
Do you think the Ed Sheeran moment was when we'll all look back to when GoT jumped the shark?
Yeah, from then on it’ll be known as ‘Game of Ed’. They’ll remake it so that when the Dothraki charge, it goes “ooooo I’m in love your body ooooooo”. We can then discuss which is truer to the artistic vision of the books. Then they go backwards and remake the older series. Every Bran vision is a music video. Harenhall set to the “she’s in the class A team” - can you imagine.

Soldato
I know you're all perfectly capable of finding these things yourselves, but I'm starting to think it's for the best that D&D gave up thinking hard. Some of the work coming out of YouTube is genius! There are a couple of bits of this (Tyrion/Cersei & Bran's section) which would slot into the broadcast version effortlessly, spicing it up considerably.

daz

daz

Soldato
For what It's worth, I have thoroughly enjoyed all 8 series. The last two series were quite obviously rushed from a story perspective; it would have been much nicer to see things explored in more detail and at a more considered pace but then that is what books are for. The books have always been superior to the show, and now I understand we're going to get a different ending as well as this 'neat' one for the show.

I think some people are really taking things way too seriously. There are serious "flaws" with the earlier series as well but why not enjoy the shows for what they are? A lot of people seem to have built up the final series in their mind, expecting it to have some kind of earth shattering meaningful ending that will give understanding to the whole world when in reality, very few TV programmes ever end like that. Most tend to end with numerous things unanswered so I don't think we should be unhappy that everything isn't neatly explained.

Back
Top Bottom