Locking something that is not yours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Because my train was coming in 2 minutes and if I didn't get it I would be late to where I had to be. I'm not going to be late because of someone elses poor decision making by locking it before giving out keys.
so if it was 2 mins to an important train, is there any reason you spent that short time trying to pull doors off, phoning, and talking to gardeners, instead of the just swearing and running for the train? sounds like that would have made you late due to your own poor decision?

Soldato
thread reminds me of this story..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...t-426184685&reply=426184685#comment-426184685

TL;DR

Man gets locked out of apartment compound by new security gate, has hissy fit, tries to climb over gate and falls injuring himself.

Now he reckons, the injuries he sustained are all everybody elses fault.

Yes. It is a frustrating situation and shouldn't have happened.

But the choice to climb the fence and the consequences of his attempting to do so are entirely down to him. I wouldn't award him any compo for that and i really hope the courts dont either.

Soldato
That is true it has been damaged, due to the actions of someone else, not me. I'm not going to go easy on him and accept it because he made a mistake. He can pay for it and learn the hard way.
What is this logic?
YOU ripped the door off
YOU need the pay for it.

Given you rent, you might want to wind it in a bit because this would be grounds to kick you out as far as most landlords are concerrned.

Soldato
I'd say your liable for damages. Whether it's criminal damage is another matter. I personally don't think it is, you can't get arrested but they might take you to small claims court to get the money if you refused.

Find out your bike is locked up - if you break off the door now you're liable
Make reasonable effort to contact owner and get no response - if you break off the door now you're NOT liable
Get extra information about gaining access - if you break off the door now you're liable

Problem is that last bit where someone came and gave you more information. If you'd just broken the door off quickly THEN someone walked by and told you "hey, I've got a key for that" I'd have been on your side.

Almost identical thing happened to me in my old flat. Factors changed the lock on the car park gate without telling anyone... Queue of people standing around the gate trying to work out the code at 8am before the Factor office was open (so weren't answering the phone). I had about 20 witnesses to me breaking off the lock with a pry bar and damaging the gate and I even emailed the Factor telling them this. They chased me for money to fix, I told them where to stuff it, threatened with small claims court to recoup costs but never went anywhere. I always assumed it was because I was super awesome, but more likely it because I pointed out that they admitted it was their mistake in the email chain.

I'd suggest you try the same. Get them to admit fault (by not issuing keys) and try and make clear that your actions were reasonable. Although, like I say, how you argue that in light of the fact that someone said "hey, wait a minute, I'll get a key" I've no idea.

Soldato
This is the funniest thread in a while, OP has clearly not got the answer and back up he was looking for and abandoned the thread.

I'm fairly sure if your train was due in 2 minutes that you wouldn't have enough time to cycle to the station and then secure your bike at the station.

Soldato
You're probably going to find your contract says use of bike shed is desretionary, subject to change without notice and at your own risk. You're probably also going to find your liable for any damage you cause and if you don't cough up you'll be evicted and it taken from your bond / persued.

Happy days.

Yep, it’ll either say this, or won’t mention the shed at all. Either way, it’s not going to say, feel free to rip the doors off.

Associate
I would have done the same, everything about the maintenance guy reeks of useless...
... but I would have also been in the wrong

solution - lock the shed and give everyone but him a key

Soldato
Awaiting the OP's next post: "just been handed a £10k bill to replace all the other residents' bikes after they were stolen because the shed had no door" :p

Sorry OP, but the correct course of action here would have been to arrange alternative transport (e.g. Taxi) and bill the management company for it (or if they play silly buggers then take it out of the management fees I assume you pay)

If the train really was 2 minutes away then you almost certainly could have just run to the station in the time it would take you to get your bike out of the shed, cycle to the station and lock up the bike again

Associate
If I wait a few minutes he can find a key.

Im even more annoyed at this point, tell him I shouldn't need to wait even 1 minute to get my own bike, there has been no letter sent whatsoever, and proceed to take off the rest of the door. He then points out I have just proved how easy it is to break into the shed. The shed door is wooden and really flimsy, took about 3 pulls to break it off.

Until this moment you were right. Then someone turned up and offered to go get a key. Instead you rip the door off anyway.

There is the obvious implication that you've now proved the bikes weren't safe anyway. That aside you caused criminal damage for no good reason. So yes you should pay for it. You should also apologise to the guy who's evening you ruined by making him stay late.

I get that you were angry and rightly so. However you've completed undermined yourself and tbh made yourself look an idiot in the bargain.

Soldato
The landlord may have committed the tort of "conversion" I.e. prevented you accessing your own property (the bike) but you can't then break down the door, yourself committing both a civil and criminal offence, and justify it with "but that guy committed a civil wrong first".

Soldato
OP now languishing in prison somewhere... What an ignorant way to behave. I suppose if he got held up on the way to the station by an old lady crossing the road he’d run her down - her fault of course!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom