• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Associate
It's a safe bet, given the X1X already targets 4K natively in many cases. Games have grown larger as this generation has gone on, that will only continue.

Division 2 in 4k with HDR is STUNNING even at 30fps with the odd frame dip in manic areas with particle effects etc on the X1X. If PS5 can better this by a considerably margin then PS5 will sell like hotcakes.

Shawrey

Soldato
My main hope for the ps5 is that it is QUIET.

My PS4 is so LOUD. It’s distracting. :p

Especially when it’s late and you gotta turn the sound up to hear anything over the mini jet turbine engine which I assume must be installed somewhere in the PS4.

Caporegime
Wish I could hear these PS 4s that people say are incredibly loud as mine is extremely quiet, quieter than my custom PC with decent fans etc. too, although I do have the rdr 2 model, which has been reported to be quieter than other revisions.

My main want is for a constant locked 60 fps in every game and quicker loading times.

Anything more than £500 though and I'm out, unless I can sell my pro on for a decent price, which is hopeful as they still seem to be going for about £230-300 on auction sites so closer to the ps 5 launch, probably drop to about £150-200

Associate
My main hope for the ps5 is that it is QUIET.
That'll be fairly high on my list of wants as well.
Certain games makes the noise from the console nearly unbearable... The Golf Club in particular makes the fan spin up to what appears to be full speed.

Wish I could hear these PS 4s that people say are incredibly loud as mine is extremely quiet, quieter than my custom PC with decent fans etc. too, although I do have the rdr 2 model, which has been reported to be quieter than other revisions.
If I get a chance I'll have to do a recording of the noise mine makes when I'm playing Golf Club, God of War or other resource heavy games.

Though the fan noise is nothing compared to the noise a blu-ray makes in my PS4... it was so bad that it made me go 100% digital.

Soldato
far cry 5 was the worst offender for fan noise. They were spinning so fast, the console was vibrating my unit. Irritating.

Edit. So much so I haven’t booted it up since. Cba.

Caporegime
That’s a good question. I believe Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) and Auto Low-Latency Mode (ALLM) are Microsoft’s inventions - it’s neither Freesync nor Gsync. Although they are included in HDMI 2.1, I’ve not seen Sony mention them at all. 100% guaranteed for Xbox, I’m not sure about PS5.

Soldato
Division 2 in 4k with HDR is STUNNING even at 30fps with the odd frame dip in manic areas with particle effects etc on the X1X. If PS5 can better this by a considerably margin then PS5 will sell like hotcakes.

Shawrey
being backwards compatible from the outset will make it sell bucket loads. Which it is I believe. Gives owners an upgrade path instead of a complete restart.

Soldato
You'd certainly hope so wouldn't you. Console gaming to me needs to be at 60fps first and foremost. Having spent years and years gaming at 1440p 144hz with adaptive sync tech, playing on my ps4 pro is a horrendous jarring experience. It's the main reason for not wanting to even turn the console on.
you are one of the very few - you are (unfortunately) one of the fractional minority - like everyone in this forum.

We are talking about people on the street who pick up a console controller after a few beers etc - not a pro gamer who can tell the difference between 2k @30fps and 4k@60+

Soldato
I'll assume you're being serious. It is 100% not going to be more powerful than a 1080 ti because in order to do that it means it would have to be AT LEAST on par with V64 OC & make great use of all the new Navi features, all while being a low cost option. It should be clear from the slides that Sony is focusing on cost & spread rather than pure power, so anyone expecting a hardware behemoth for the PS5, will be disappointed. It would be a great achievement for them to get something like V64 hardware (not performance! that can be better due to optimisations & software progress) in the PS5 in the first place, but even that won't be enough to rival a 1080 ti on desktop.
1080ti will be 3 1/2 years old by the time of the release (approx.)

Irrespective of ray tracing, whatever the PS5 has will be more powerful without doubt. Difficult to compare given Ps5 doesn't have to contend with bloatware like Windows to start with, but just from teraflops point of view sceptics are even saying 12Tf+ with more optimistic mentioning 13-14!!

There will be generational differences also that might not compare in the Tf race but wouldn't have been present on the 1080ti

Soldato
you are one of the very few - you are (unfortunately) one of the fractional minority - like everyone in this forum.

We are talking about people on the street who pick up a console controller after a few beers etc - not a pro gamer who can tell the difference between 2k @30fps and 4k@60+

I'm sure Sony and XBOX are looking at the next gen machines and thinking "Lets take 50% of the current PC gaming market by offering up a machine that sits at a fraction of the price that it would take to build a 4k60fps PC". They could absolutely tear the PC space apart with that mindset. Hundreds of thousands, hell maybe even in the millions, of PC gamers I'm sure would jump ship at the prospect of a console costing less than a high end GPU, which enables them to play 4k60fps solid, with HDR, with Freesync tech. And also there are the rumours of proper mouse and keyboard support, I know dozens and dozens of PC gamers I play with that share the same mindset regarding the next gen consoles. MS and SONY could make huge amounts of profit if they drive that wedge in.

Soldato
I'm sure Sony and XBOX are looking at the next gen machines and thinking "Lets take 50% of the current PC gaming market by offering up a machine that sits at a fraction of the price that it would take to build a 4k60fps PC". They could absolutely tear the PC space apart with that mindset. Hundreds of thousands, hell maybe even in the millions, of PC gamers I'm sure would jump ship at the prospect of a console costing less than a high end GPU, which enables them to play 4k60fps solid, with HDR, with Freesync tech. And also there are the rumours of proper mouse and keyboard support, I know dozens and dozens of PC gamers I play with that share the same mindset regarding the next gen consoles. MS and SONY could make huge amounts of profit if they drive that wedge in.

Except that isn't feasible in the slightest

Think about the physical size of your gpu and your psu - give or take that will be the size of the ps4 without taking in any other components or cooling required etc etc etc.

The heat alone wont allow it even if Sony / MS could afford to write off 40-50% of the cost of each device (which they cant by any means)

Its also not worth their while in the first place. Maybe 5% of the market game at those kinds of specs , if it was 50% MAYBE it might be worth it to Sony/ MS but they really don't need to aim that high, or lose a small fortune on every console to make it viable to the public

Soldato
I don't see a mass player jump form PC to console PC's are different beasts, PC gamers choose to play on PC for many reasons that consoles can't offer. For example a range of voip programs, up gradable hardware , high refresh rate monitors, mouse and keyboard, modding games , Graphics cards allowing better lighting, textures, allowing the user to change settings etc..

Soldato
From reddit, posted 1 hour back

After the wired article my colleagues and I assumed that Sony had just put a PCIe 4 SSD into the PS5 and then called it a day (as PCIe 4 SSDs would be faster then current PC SSDs so it would fit their claim). I mean, the SSD came unexpected for us already since we were expecting at most a solution like Apples Fusion drives for cost reasons. Because of our PCIe 4 SSD expectation we were skeptical how much the SSD could decrease load times in PS4 titles played on the PS5.

For context: our current gen game (PS4, XBO, PC) loads around 40% faster when replacing the PS4 Pro HDD with a SATA SSD (~42 sec. vs. ~25 sec.). If we run our PC build in combination with an M.2 NVMe SSD we only see around 7% faster load times compared to the PS4 Pro with SATA SSD even though the NVMe SSD is ~6 times faster. But it get's even worse, when we take the Samsung PM1725a PCIe card from our build server to run the PC build on we only see 0-3% faster load times compared to an NVMe SSD, which shows that there are diminishing returns since current game IO has to assume HDDs as the baseline. Because of that we only expected similiar load time reductions for PS4 titles when played on the PS5. But we were proven wrong.

Together with our devkit (nothing from Microsoft yet) we received information material which was front and center about how they continue to strife to make the life for developers easier, in order for us to deliver better games faster to the players, and how that is a continuation of the ground work layed by architectural decisions taken in the PS4. The material is not only about new games though, but also about how the PS5 can help current gen games to take advantage of it's features - especially it's advanced storage solution. Apparently they have analyzed the IO behaviour of current gen games and baked the essence of it into what they call a high bandwidth cache controller, which can then map PS4 IO commands into optimized commands for their new storage solution were appropiate (without having to make changes to the game). And it shows, our unchanged game running on the devkit loads around 32% faster then our PC build on the PM1725a. But the material further states that in order to take full advantage of it the game will have to be patched, and I can't wait to see how fast our game will load once our software engineers have made source code changes to take full advantage of the fast storage.

This is obviously a throwaway account that I will delete in a few days... I have no technical data to share and I will not tell my position or company size like other "leakers" do as that could pinpoint me. Which is why I also disabled private messages. Just wanted to share that Sonys storage solution is a true next generation leap and that it will also greatly benefit PS4 games when played on the PS5 - even if the developers don't release patches for their games.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom