Is it possible to e-mail a Read-only Self-destructing document?

Soldato
If you control both ends of the system you can do this to an extent. Current versions of MS Active Directory / Windows Server have some very good DRM systems built in at a low level that can govern access control such as by physical location, user, IP address, etc. and implement restrictions based on those such as being allowed to save a copy, etc. And you can come up with other things like something that only loads once and similar (you'd still have to make sure they didn't record the server responses, mind!). But there's little that can be done to close the issue of someone pointing a camera at anything they can look at.

What you need is a controlled environment. Either have them come in, have someone visit them or rent an office for an hour or two with video conference and have a staff member there put out a paper copy of the document for them to read. You'll be on conference video with them the whole time which they'll know, so they'll be aware they cannot take it or photo it. These are your only real options, I think, not technical ones.

Soldato
Just send a heavily watermarked PDF? There are tools online that allow you to display a PDF on a secured site that doesn't allow download. We use Scenechronize for this purpose but there are probably freeware ones out there.

If it's that important get an NDA sent first. You can never get around the camera-phone issue but it's a case of showing the recipient (via watermark etc.) that if they were so daft to do anything with it then you'll come after them.

EDIT: I would have thought a lawyer has a way to do this he can provide? Maybe can you set up a Dropbox link to not allow download? Combine with a watermark (with his/her name) and you're good.

Soldato
No, I am dealing with a Lawyer. (Far worse than Estate Agents :p)

I wish to "Show" him something, I am happy for him to make notes, but I do not (For now anyway) want him to have a hard copy.

I must say, it seems a bit strange to allow him to make notes - he could surely write down everything that you clearly don't want visible.

Were you the one where there was some will contesting between siblings? Presumably you're not wanting to show the family solicitor something that would get back to your sibling?

Associate

I wish to "Show" him something, I am happy for him to make notes, but I do not (For now anyway) want him to have a hard copy.

Is it not enough to just ask them not to take a hard copy? Surely a legal agreement on this front would prevent it being used in a legal context?

Soldato
Do it in person,

Sack up lad.

If you don't want it screenshotted or saved you have to verbally relay said information.

Also, tell us what it is for the boys?

Edit: I see it's a lawyer.... ok OP spit it out, what have you done?

U dun goof'd?

Soldato
Show the lawyer in person on your own device that you'll take away with you?

Get a lawyer than can be trusted to maintain confidentiality??

Soldato

If they're giving you legal advice, or this is in the context of seeking legal advice, surely legal professional privilege would apply? If so, any breach of the duty would be a serious matter for a professional.

Caporegime
Give them a Windows 10 PC to read it on. It might not self-destruct in five minutes, but the way things are going it'll last at most until the next feature update...

(I'm pissy coz 1903 just killed my laptop).

Back
Top Bottom