Amsterdam hotel recommendations

Associate
Room Mate Aitana is my recommendation. It is reasonably priced and is located close to the central station and within walking distance of all the fun stuff. It also has great beds and views!

Soldato

Haha, when you're not a fan of the ladies in glass boxes and you've seen Anne Frank's gaff a few times there's not really much else to do there (For me) other than indulge in the local delicacies.

One recommendation if you're fine with heights is to take the free boat across the river behind Central Station and go up to the Lookout. There's a fun little swing you can go on that swings you over the edge and you get awesome views of the city. It's only a couple of quid

Sui

Sui

Soldato
We went in April and stayed in The Albus hotel, was lovely. Staff were great and a free glass of fizz on arrival, even got a free bottle in the room as was my birthday.

Its a short tram from the main station, or about a 20min walk down the main pathway away from the station, couldn't fault where it was.

Don
+1

NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky

It's right on the main square. It's a massive hotel with different wings. It's not cheap though. Everything is within walking distance from it.

It seems to vary a lot but on a good day is within his budget (or was last I stayed there)

The room where you have breakfast is amazing

Soldato
It's right on the main square.
To be honest that's a massive negative. It's the equivalent of telling someone to stay in Leicester Square in London. Full of tourists and tourist tat. Grim. The beauty of Amsterdam is the canals, more residential areas etc. Something like the Hoxton or Soho House is more like it (but probably more pricey).

Caporegime
To be honest that's a massive negative. It's the equivalent of telling someone to stay in Leicester Square in London. Full of tourists and tourist tat. Grim. The beauty of Amsterdam is the canals, more residential areas etc. Something like the Hoxton or Soho House is more like it (but probably more pricey).

Amsterdam square is nothing like Leicester square.

Plus the hotel doesn't attract riff raff.

Soldato
Amsterdam square is nothing like Leicester square.

Plus the hotel doesn't attract riff raff.
Course not ;)

eZifAWR.png

For what it's worth every year when I go for a convention the Americans all want to go out drinking around there, no matter how many times you tell them there are nicer bars and areas anywhere around Amsterdam. When you're on expenses and not worrying about cost, it does my nut they want to go to the touristy "pubs" around there. FWIW there's always an unofficial drinks at Cafe Zwart right next door. I myself have fallen out of there, into the Kras for a wee, then fallen into a cab outside. It's not nice in the evenings around there :p

I've eaten in the Soho House and the Hoxton. Those would be my choice for nice hotels if money was no object. The SH building is amazing, worth going to check out on its own.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah this is a good shout. OP could also check out the Lloyd Hotel for quirkiness. Up in the Oost docklands but well connected.

We stayed there recently, on a budget though so just in one of their cheaper rooms. There's a tram station pretty much right outside which takes you into the centre in 10 minutes, the trams run about every 5-6 minutes too during the day. The restaurant downstairs was quite nice too.

Soldato
Stayed in the Double tree few times next to Centraal station also the W Amsterdam and the Krasnapolsky . Some friends stayed int he NH Collection Amsterdam Barbizon Palace which they said was lovely but bit iffy on service (ordered room service twice both times no cutlery !!)

Booked 30/12/19 to 4/01/20 for Amsterdam up to now ..might book another date too. A lot of things to do and places to see way of then center...tho one must pop the redlight to have a nosey ;)

Soldato
Stayed there last weekend, nice place overall... Sat on the roof in the hot tubs and sauna for a while as well.

Yeah the Hot Tubs on the roof were awesome! :D We got to know some of the workers that moved around up there, and they let us smoke some jazz cigarettes while in the tub :p

Did you visit the club/bar in the basement? We didn't know anything about it until we got back one night after doing some drinking and heard some music from down there. There was a door that led to a pitch black room (which we now know as the smoking room) and there was a door in the middle of the wall that led to a large bar - It blew my already intoxicated mind when I opened the door to a massive bar full of people :p

Associate
Yeah the Hot Tubs on the roof were awesome! :D We got to know some of the workers that moved around up there, and they let us smoke some jazz cigarettes while in the tub :p

Did you visit the club/bar in the basement? We didn't know anything about it until we got back one night after doing some drinking and heard some music from down there. There was a door that led to a pitch black room (which we now know as the smoking room) and there was a door in the middle of the wall that led to a large bar - It blew my already intoxicated mind when I opened the door to a massive bar full of people :p

No chance to do any of that, although the room we were in was furnished with a couple of art pamphlet books with some interesting pictures... we were recommended by a local a bar with 52 beers on tap and had a good go at them! I vaguely recall being in the place up top early Saturday morning, but no clue otherwise... Will definitely stay there again, given how close it is to the Centraal line on the metro, and how easy it is to get about with a travel card. Went to Blauw Indonesian on Saturday night though, and we rolled back around 1030pm and crashed after the food overdose.

Only downer on this hotel for me is that it's 50 yards away from the Amsterdam HQ of those Scientology cult nutters, but I at least got some canny photos of me giving the place some shade.

Other than that, we're staying there the next time we're out there!

Soldato
No chance to do any of that, although the room we were in was furnished with a couple of art pamphlet books with some interesting pictures... we were recommended by a local a bar with 52 beers on tap and had a good go at them! I vaguely recall being in the place up top early Saturday morning, but no clue otherwise... Will definitely stay there again, given how close it is to the Centraal line on the metro, and how easy it is to get about with a travel card. Went to Blauw Indonesian on Saturday night though, and we rolled back around 1030pm and crashed after the food overdose.

Only downer on this hotel for me is that it's 50 yards away from the Amsterdam HQ of those Scientology cult nutters, but I at least got some canny photos of me giving the place some shade.

Other than that, we're staying there the next time we're out there!

Haha interesting! I didn't know about the Scientology place nearby :p We definitely would have been keen to check it out otherwise :p

Yeah we really enjoyed our stay - We're planning another trip later this year, and I've been meaning to call them and ask if they could do a deal!

Associate
Haha interesting! I didn't know about the Scientology place nearby :p We definitely would have been keen to check it out otherwise :p

Out the front door, turn left... just before the little supermarket I think (canny beers in there, and a wine store next door).

Couple we went with, her bloke's a travel journo and had loads of tips (as well as a sweet deal on a posh room on the ferry over from Newcastle). He'd spent a good chunk of time in NL and DE over the years, and does guest lecturing at a uni down in Breda. He was fairly impressed with the hotel and location, and the prices were pretty decent as well.

For others in this thread and the OP, I'd definitely take a look at this place.

Soldato
Out the front door, turn left... just before the little supermarket I think (canny beers in there, and a wine store next door).

Couple we went with, her bloke's a travel journo and had loads of tips (as well as a sweet deal on a posh room on the ferry over from Newcastle). He'd spent a good chunk of time in NL and DE over the years, and does guest lecturing at a uni down in Breda. He was fairly impressed with the hotel and location, and the prices were pretty decent as well.

For others in this thread and the OP, I'd definitely take a look at this place.

Oh wow - unless this was only opened/built recently, we would have walked past it on a very regular basis :p Will check it out later this year, thanks!

Associate
Oh wow - unless this was only opened/built recently, we would have walked past it on a very regular basis :p Will check it out later this year, thanks!

Albert Heijn supermarket's near the northernmost entrance to the Wibautstraat metro. Gall Gall is just next to the market, and we picked up some chilled beers from there (Zatte was _really_ good). Both are showing on the April 2019 streetview, so I think they've been there a while.

We also found ourselves in the restaurant/bar attached to the Student Hotel over the road from Volks. Won't be doing that again... less atmosphere than outer space.

Associate
XO hotels city centre is decent and the location is great, and its just been refurbished. Its 5min walk from the train station and as central as you can get really.
I have stayed at the Ramada as well which is a little out the way but right on a tram line. It was 30 euros to get to the Ramada from the airport

Back
Top Bottom